Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2020, 08:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Mechanicville , New York
First time posting! looking for help from the experts :)

Hey there! I hope I'm posting this in the correct area. I recently inherited a 1972 Airstream (Overlander I think?) that I'm interested in selling. My dad purchased it probably almost 10 years ago and has since passed. I live in upstate NY, 20 minutes North of Albany. We've had the camper for years and I honestly am not sure on value etc. It's definitely a restoration project

It has two sizeable exterior dents (one on the front end and one on the tail end) - the people that we bought it from had it parked beneath trees and branches fell. It doesn't leak. We've been using it for storage the past few years or else I would post interior photos of it - I'm hoping this coming spring to get it cleared out and find it a new home.

I can take photos of the exterior at least and go from there if anyone is interested in seeing it? This is the first time I've ever really done anything with it so I'm definitely a newbie

Thanks in advance everyone! I appreciate any help I can get in identifying it and if anyone has any suggestions on easiest way to sell it
Dwane1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

Post some pics of the trailer. Particularly, show the "name plate" that should be near the door, and try to record, or photograph the serial number. Take some good pics of the dents, and the overall condition of the trailer. With these pics, the Forums members should be able to at least tell you what you have, and you will get estimates of value from "you would have to pay me to take it" to something that still probably seems too low.

Airstream trailers are very popular right now, but a neglected "field find" trailer is still a huge project, and the originality of the interior is not a bonus. Check on Craigslist, FB Marketplace, RVtrader, Ebay, Etc., and try to find something of similar to compare to to get an estimate of value. I find that eBay completed listings offer a good data point for what people are really willing to pay for a trailer, but even then, it can be inflated when an enthusiastic Newbie bids up a wreck thinking they are going to go camping upon delivery.

When you ask what is the easiest way to sell it, I would say to post it on Craigslist. Doesn't cost you anything, and plenty of people are constantly browsing C-list for cheap trailers. There is also the AirForums Classifieds, which will shrink your audience significantly, but give you a more focused (and critical) audience.

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
First off, welcome to AirForums!

You may also find these two websites helpful:
Most savvy buyers will be familiar with the information on those links.

Good luck!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:48 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Mechanicville , New York
thank you! I'm going to take some photos when it's daylight to give more of an idea of what it looks like. I looked at the nameplate, it's an Overlander. I wish I could get some photos of the inside but we needed a place to store some things and that was it, my plan is this spring to get it cleared out and off to it's next home!

I'll take and post the photos in the next couple days!
Old 12-31-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

How easy will it be to get it out of it's current location? Some trailers get parked and in 10 years ... trees grow up There can be other issues ....

Guessing without photos is tough. Even with them, things like sub floor rot and frame rust can be a really big deal. Over the years we've driven by a lot of similar Airstreams sitting in fields here and there. The ones we normally see are not worth a lot.

Just as with used automobiles, some trailers get turned into parts. They don't all get rebuilt. If that bothers you, best to think it through early. I'd suggest that once cash has traded hands, what the new buyer does with it is up to them ....

As a guess, somebody will actually pay you for it. No idea what your dad paid for it back a while ago. It's a pretty good bet that it's worth less now.....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 11:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwane1990 View Post
thank you! I'm going to take some photos when it's daylight to give more of an idea of what it looks like. I looked at the nameplate, it's an Overlander. I wish I could get some photos of the inside but we needed a place to store some things and that was it, my plan is this spring to get it cleared out and off to it's next home!

I'll take and post the photos in the next couple days!
Good advice on the Craigslist sale, but be prepared to weed the garden on calls.The smaller units like yours are more popular.Just tell people"As is, where is" and no fooling around trying to test systems/ appliances/ etc.Cash only, never take any form of check.Even Cashiers checks are problematic.Old salesman, if they can't get cash for it, probably good chance you can't either.Probably talking like 4K or less, given condition.It is what it is.
Take some cash and broom it.
B. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 03:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
Waiting for pictures
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:09 AM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Cole View Post
.....Probably talking like 4K or less, given condition.It is what it is.
Hi

Regardless of it's value, it is far far better to do a $3,000 "cash deal" than a $6,000 deal with a bouncing check .....

This isn't selling a house, the amount of money involved is not insane. People do indeed work with this amount of cash from time to time.

Bob
Old 01-01-2021, 10:57 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Mechanicville , New York
Thank you so much for bearing with me and for your replies! I finally got a chance to grab some photos of it, again sorry I'm not able to get photos of the interior because we have misc. stuff in it right now.

As you can see there are dents on the front and back that were present when my dad bought the trailer (the one on the backside is the lesser of the two).

I can tell you that the interior is all original, it's definitely a reno project, it would need at least all new upholstery and curtains and just cosmetic stuff from what I can tell. This spring my plan is to get it cleared out. Everything is still intact inside, appliances and all that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3683.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	464.9 KB
ID:	385938   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3684.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	385939  

Name:	100_3685.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	330.5 KB
ID:	385940   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3686.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	423.7 KB
ID:	385941  

Name:	100_3687.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	385942   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3688.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	385943  

Name:	100_3689.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	385944  
Old 01-02-2021, 08:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Frankly, it looks better than I thought it would.Dont worry about interior condition, 99 out of a 100 buyers of old ones will totally gut it, and redo everything.
Judging from good condition of front hitch area, looks like it didn't see much/ any salt from roads.Frame probably good condition, it's sitting high over the tires.
Once you get storage stuff out of it, toss any moldy carpet/ cushions/ etc out.
Again, don't let buyers nickle+ dime you, like on appliance / furnace/ plumbing condition / etc etc.Tell them "As is/ where is" sale."No warranty expressed or implied"
It's basically a hook+ haul.Dont let anyone " Test drive it"
Cash before they hitch to it, both party's sign Bill of Sale with above, then it's theirs.
Pick a price you want, and tell them it's firm.When you get a real serious buyer, you'll know it.If they only want to text and won't get on phone and talk, don't waste your time.Move to next buyer.
Good luck, try and show it as little as possible, you'll know a serious buyer on phone from a tire kicker.
B. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 11:27 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Mechanicville , New York
thanks for your input! good to know about the interior, that's pretty much what I figured that someone would buy and gut and redo it. Thank you B. Cole!

does anyone else have any input on a fair asking price for it? just some kind of ballpark number I could work with given what you can tell from the photos.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2021, 09:26 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
thanks for your input! good to know about the interior, that's pretty much what I figured that someone would buy and gut and redo it. Thank you B. Cole!

does anyone else have any input on a fair asking price for it? just some kind of ballpark number I could work with given what you can tell from the photos.

Thanks!
Hi

List it for $5K and be prepared to take half that.

Bob
Old 01-13-2021, 09:59 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Limited
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
santa rosa , California
Dents

I went to a local Dent and Paintless removal place called Dent dynamics where I live which is Santa Rosa California. And they pulled out a huge dent that I had in my top left side piece from backing into a tree limb that I didn’t see. I was amazed how well he pull that dent out. It’s saved my having to replace that piece which would have cost thousands and I think he only charged me 100 or so dollars.
tojimmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:45 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1960 26' Overlander
Tipton , Iowa
I don't think that you will get much for it. The dents seriously lower the value as they will not be cheep to fix. I would advise against throwing any of the pieces parts away b/c they are moldy or anything. A moldy cushion etc can still be used as a pattern from which to make a new one. Often these trailers leaked and with it sitting unused except for storage these leaks tend to not get discovered before floor damage happens...which means it is much more of a restoration job. The more you can demonstrate that various systems work, the better price you can get...but honestly I don't think you could pay me to take it unless I was going to use it for parts...and I'm a vintage guy!

Scott
Scott S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Frankly, it looks better than I thought it would.Dont worry about interior condition, 99 out of a 100 buyers of old ones will totally gut it, and redo everything.
I agree with this...most new owners will want to fix it up to their own liking, but...
Quote:
Once you get storage stuff out of it, toss any moldy carpet/ cushions/ etc out.
I don't necessarily agree with this - unless the stuff is really badly deteriorated - obviously a health hazard. Clean it up of dirt, grime & any evidence of critter invasion - but leave the pieces in place. It is always more helpful to see soft-goods in place (if original) - even if they are outdated. It's also really helpful to have cushions & curtains (even it they are "gross") to use as patterns for replacements. As a buyer, I would much rather see a trailer with these things in place than one that has been stripped out. If they are stripped out - you have no point of reference for what should be there...
Quote:
Again, don't let buyers nickel + dime you, like on appliance / furnace / plumbing condition / etc etc. Tell them "As is/ where is" sale."No warranty expressed or implied"
100% agree....
Quote:
The links in Post #3 really are the best & most comprehensive information available for helping you set a price. That and looking at listings of other similar trailers in similar conditions on ads - either Craigslist, ebay or the classifieds here.

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 01-13-2021, 11:24 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Mechanicville , New York
thank you all for the additional advice and info. I'm not expecting to get rich off it obviously, I just want to see it placed in the hands of someone who will appreciate it and restore it. I'm well aware that it's a restoration job.
Old 01-13-2021, 02:59 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
I just want to see it placed in the hands of someone who will appreciate it and restore it.
Unfortunately, once you sell it, you have "no say" in what the new owners will do with it... They may decide to part it out if the project becomes more than they want to take on.

Shari

Old 01-13-2021, 03:07 PM   #18
65will

1969 25' Tradewind
Greenwich , New York
Vin number

Hello, could you post the numbers from the tag by the door that has land yacht on it? I'm local to you. In Greenwich area.Thanks
65will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:24 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Mechanicville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Unfortunately, once you sell it, you have "no say" in what the new owners will do with it... They may decide to part it out if the project becomes more than they want to take on.

Shari

oh for sure, I'm not attached to it or worried what happens to it after I don't own it anymore
Old 01-13-2021, 04:25 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Mechanicville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65will View Post
Hello, could you post the numbers from the tag by the door that has land yacht on it? I'm local to you. In Greenwich area.Thanks

of course! I will post those for you