Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
Retired Navy Veteran

1964 26' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
First Question I have Posted - Ordering a new TV

Background: My DW and I have been towing about 10,000 miles this past year, a 1964, 26 ft Overlander that has been completely gutted and upgraded, named Gracie. The TV (Big Red) has been a beloved F150 with a small V8 in a supercab configuration for the past nine years! While the TV has a payload of 1400 lbs, we do not always comply with the max weight for the rear axle, based on CAT Scales. Plus the back seat is very small and with our grandchildren in car seats their feet are resting on the front seat backs. Time for a new TV! We have very specific color for the exterior and interior of an F250, 4x2, gas, crew cab, that we cannot find on nationwide searches, so we will order this TV. Question: The Super Duty (with 3.73 rear axle ratio) catalogue lists the GVWR as 10,000 lbs (includes payload and weight of truck), plus it lists the max towing for a 4x2, gas engine as 12,900 lbs. Here is the rub and no one at Ford.com chat, or dealers has been able to answer this question. Based on the above weights you would guess the Gross Combined Weight Rating for this TV = 22,900 lbs. WRONG - The GCWR for this T is 19,500 lbs! Has anyone “broken the code” on this confusion? IF these numbers on the catalogue are correct and we use the entire GVWR for cargo and truck, we will have a towing limitation of about 9,000 lbs, not 12,900 lbs?
superChop is offline   Reply With Quote