Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2008, 07:01 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
I don't know what's happening in other areas but the dealership in Columbus, OH from which I purchased my 2007 25' International last February is no longer an Airstream franchisee. They told me that AS wants to have one or two dealers in each state - they were the odd-dealer out in Ohio. Now, what do I do when I need warranty work??? I had one of the three straps holding the black tank on come loose. I wasn't interested in hauling it 100 miles to Jackson Center so I paid the $50 to have it fixed. I wonder how many more warranty repairs like this will come along? Are dealers closing in any other areas???
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #22
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I don't think the dealer I bought my Airstream from closed, but they are no longer an Airstream dealer. They were the only Airstream dealer in Tennessee. Pity, I was willing to take my Airstream back the 225 miles each way for warranty or other work rather than the sole Georgia Airstream dealer some 45 miles from my home.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:43 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Dealerships

I went to see some new units at California RV in Colton on Sunday and they were closed and inventory gone. Don't know if their Baldwin Park location is closed or not. Went to Southwest Coaches in Irvine and they had lots of inventory and we were the only customers on the lot with three salesmen, sign of the times. This is a large area of RV dealers only and Mcmahons has taken over several dealships and there is more than one empty lot.
Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:27 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Growing problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella3287 View Post
I went to see some new units at California RV in Colton on Sunday and they were closed and inventory gone. Don't know if their Baldwin Park location is closed or not. Went to Southwest Coaches in Irvine and they had lots of inventory and we were the only customers on the lot with three salesmen, sign of the times. This is a large area of RV dealers only and Mcmahons has taken over several dealships and there is more than one empty lot.
Does anybody know the status of California RV in Fontana, is it still in business?
Old 11-08-2008, 09:40 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE View Post
Does anybody know the status of California RV in Fontana, is it still in business?
Fontana is closed. A friend of mine looked at new units at California RV at their Baldwin Park location a couple of weeks ago. They are selling the rest of their Airstream inventory from there. He said the prices were good.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:23 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Darn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLB21 View Post
Fontana is closed. A friend of mine looked at new units at California RV at their Baldwin Park location a couple of weeks ago. They are selling the rest of their Airstream inventory from there. He said the prices were good.
Thanks LLB21, I was afraid of this, I had a $200 credit with the parts dept at California RV, Fontana, I guess I can kiss that goodbye.....oh well.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
I had one of the three straps holding the black tank on come loose. I wasn't interested in hauling it 100 miles to Jackson Center so I paid the $50 to have it fixed.
You should call customer service at Airstream, 937 596-6111. Explain how expensive it is to get to a dealer for such a small repair. They may reimburse you since they would have paid a dealer anyway for the work.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Oasis RV Center, the Airstream dealer in Tucson, and one of only two in Arizona, has discontinued the sales end of their business—for now, anyway. This is where we bought our Airstream, and we love the place! We were saddened and were little nervous because they provide great support, but we were thankful to learn that they have no intention of closing down completely and are continuing as an Authorized Airstream Service Center... That is a real big thing for us. We were there the other day lamenting the situation with the owner...he was actually reassuringly upbeat about the whole thing...he will probably go back into sales once the economy turns up...he did say he could still get a new Airstream for us if we decided we wanted one...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:30 PM   #29
73Excella500

Airstream is a strong product! The units last for decades not just years. As long as Thor manages the business properly they will do okay.

This next paragrah is from their web page. Remember the late 70's? and I am only 40. I remember those times.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:00 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Sweet Valley , Pennsylvania
Just in yesterday that Coachman is being bought by Warren Buffetts Berkshire Hathaway........so they will survive with Berkshires strong balance sheet......bought for pennies on the dollar.

Jim
TROPHYJIM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 05:51 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Airstream Gets Trademark

BREAKING NEWS
Airstream Gains Trademark for Trailer Design
Bob Ashley
RV Business
Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Airstream Inc. recently received trademark approval from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for the design of its unique spherical silver travel trailer.

“It's kind of a big deal for us,” reported Bob Wheeler, president of the Jackson Center, Ohio, manufacturer. “We fight trademark infringement all the time, not usually in the RV industry, but from people making T-shirts, belt buckles, hats – things like that – with Airstream's image. Their defense has been that the shape of the trailer was used by others in the 1950s.”

In legal jargon, the trademark consists of “the combination of the color silver as applied to travel trailers and a configuration of the trailers comprising generally quarter-spherical leading roof lines and an overall curvilinear appearance.”

“It's the combination of the silver and the curved body shape,'' Wheeler noted.

It took three years for the trademark to be approved “because (the patent offices) was fearful it would provide too broad protection,” Wheeler said.

That problem was overcome when the matter was assigned to an administrative judge who was an RVer. “He understood better that the Airstream shape has been burned into the minds of Americans,” Wheeler said.

Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 07:11 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Sugar Grove , Ohio
If production drops dramatically and fewer and fewer AS are produced does that mean the value of existing ASs will go up? As fewer of them are found for sale, can we expect a continuing rise in the price of used ASs? Just an interesting thought about the market - as the market teeters on the brink. It can go either direction and it would seem to me that such market rules (might) apply in this situation.

The Columbus, OH AS dealer has lost their francise business - they have not gone out of the automobile business. They recently moved across the street and in their new location, they hardly had room for their AS business anyway. They said they would still do some special ordering business for special customers but I would suspect that gets less and less every day. Too bad, as everyone we met there was exceptional! I knows others have said the same thing as they've had customers from all over the country and always seem to have a good word for the business.

LLB21 - I will call the company and let them know about the charges - we'll see how receptive they might be. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:51 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Oasis RV Center, the Airstream dealer in Tucson, and one of only two in Arizona, has discontinued the sales end of their business—for now, anyway. This is where we bought our Airstream, and we love the place! We were saddened and were little nervous because they provide great support, but we were thankful to learn that they have no intention of closing down completely and are continuing as an Authorized Airstream Service Center... That is a real big thing for us. We were there the other day lamenting the situation with the owner...he was actually reassuringly upbeat about the whole thing...he will probably go back into sales once the economy turns up...he did say he could still get a new Airstream for us if we decided we wanted one...
Terry, I hear ya. We went a long way to find a service oriented dealer (Ace Fogdall in Waterloo/Cedar Falls, Iowa). They've had to rely on their SOB sales and didn't maintain much of an active stock when we shopped in 2005. That was a fair reality -- new dealers opened in Davenport and Des Moines in the year or so after we bought. We found that Fogdall maintained a very solid shop staff and were happy with our decision to purchase and do warranty service through them.

STRANGE!!!! -- airstream.com doesn't have the dealer finder any more. I can't doubt that futures are tough for many traditional Airstream dealers.

BTW - Oasis has the best shipping rates and have been the first parts dealer I've checked out for quite a while running. But I'm also open to consider and have used Out of Doors Mart and Inland -- plus keep an open mind to anybody else who aims to give great service to the Airstream community.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:45 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
CanoeStream "STRANGE!!!! -- airstream.com doesn't have the dealer finder any more. I can't doubt that futures are tough for many traditional Airstream dealers."

Check it again~I just did a search on the Airstream site and found this..

1. PROFILE STATE LINE SUPERSTORE

233 Main Dunstable Road
Nashua
NH, 03062
UNITED STATES
11 miles away.

Telephone: (603)880-0032
Sales, Service, & Parts

Click on the map to get directions from your home to PROFILE STATE LINE SUPERSTORE!

ciao
53FC

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:02 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1957 22' Flying Cloud
Lone Jack , Missouri
Quote:
If production drops dramatically and fewer and fewer AS are produced does that mean the value of existing ASs will go up? As fewer of them are found for sale, can we expect a continuing rise in the price of used ASs?
Airstream value is like any other supply vs. demand issue. If, for instance, there are only 10 vintages airstreams left in the world there might be a price rise. Might? Well, if there are hundreds of people that want them, the price will surely rise. Conversely, even if there are only 10 (or one for that matter) and no one wants one or no one can afford one, then the price will go down.

Supply is important but hinges on demand. Not meaning to be flippant but consider this issue: I have 3 Golden Retrievers. Earl, Otis, and Abby produce a lot of dog poop and I mean lots! No one including me wants the poop. I can't sell it because no one else appears to want it either-- at any price! Therefore, no value and a real low price-zero.

The short lesson: if there are more buyers than sellers, the price goes up. The converse is true, as well. Think of the world and Airstreams as an auction.
Pop.528

"You better learn it fast; you better learn it young"-John Fogerty
Larry in MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:15 AM   #36
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs down None

Quote:
Are dealers closing in any other areas???

We have NO dealer in NYS!!

http://www.airstream.com/dealer_loca...y=us&x=12&y=14

http://www.airstream.com/dealer_locator.php?state=NY

Gotta go out of the Country>>>>>>>>>
Old 12-26-2008, 10:53 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Got my Airstreamer Newsletter tonight. Has a nice letter from Bob Wheeler sizing up the economic downturn and the enthusiasm for future production. I wonder if that new Scout prototype will take off with consumers wanting to tow with smaller vehicles. Scout picture link from Rich Luhr

Quote:
Dear Airstreamers,

I hope that this letter finds you all well and gathering with loved ones for the holidays. I wanted to write a brief note to say hello and reflect a bit on the past year.

2008 was a year with its share of challenges. There is no one reading this who was unaffected by the state of the economy, and things here at Airstream were no different. For a time I thought we might escape the worst of the downturn, but the economic malaise has become so pervasive that we have felt its effects very dramatically here in Jackson Center. Fuel prices, the loss of home equity, lack of retail and wholesale credit, consumer confidence…..all have conspired to hurt our business and that of the RV industry as a whole. RV manufacturers and dealerships have gone out of business, and the end is not yet in sight. We have had to reduce our capacity significantly, and are lucky to have a parent company, Thor Industries, that is rock-solid financially.

Fortunately, being part of a company that has been around for 77 years allows us to take the long view. We know that things will recover, and we are eagerly preparing for that time. When the market comes back, what kind of products will be in demand? Who are the customers of tomorrow? How will they use their Airstreams? What will be the tow vehicles of choice or necessity? These are all questions we are exploring with enthusiasm.

It’s also a good time to reflect on the positives that we sometimes take for granted— the outstanding workforce here in Jackson Center, the strength of our dealer network and, most significantly, the universe of Airstreamers that pursues the Airstream lifestyle with passion, diversity, and no small amount of grace—this, more than anything, inspires and motivates us to keep pushing forward toward better days.

So, in the end, I guess this is a letter of thanks. Thanks for your dedication to a product and lifestyle that somehow transcen ds the daily grind. We always need something to inspire us, now more than ever.

Happy Holidays, and travel well.

Best regards,

Bob Wheeler
President & CEO
Airstream, Inc.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:19 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Sugar Grove , Ohio
Looks like all we can do is sit, wait and watch to see what tomorrow brings. Best of all, we can dream - dream about the upcoming Spring and how to best get through the winter. Perhaps, spring will bring major turn arounds in addition to 'streaming weather. We can only wait.....and hope. Here's to a grand, happy and successful 2009 for all 'streamers and their travel companions.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
RV Business
Tuesday, November 18, 2008

"Airstream Inc. recently received trademark approval from the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for the design of its unique spherical silver travel trailer."

Does this mean Airstream will be the only round aircraft type trailer?
It is anyway... That's not the point.

I take this as no manufacturer can bring back the Avion or Silver Streak trailer in their past forms.
No curved sided Avions?

Back To Top[/quote]
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:01 PM   #40
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Got my Airstreamer Newsletter tonight. Has a nice letter from Bob Wheeler sizing up the economic downturn and the enthusiasm for future production. I wonder if that new Scout prototype will take off with consumers wanting to tow with smaller vehicles. Scout picture link from Rich Luhr
The new Scout prototype, from the outside, looks like an old Shasta, well sort of.

But, when you look inside, WOW, a different world.

This I think, is exactly what Airstream needs, in order to get our younger generation started with Airstreaming.

Just like the old Argosy, you could keep the Scout a few years, and trade upward, for an Airstream.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote