Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Question European adventure

Hi Everyone!

I am planning a European adventure vacation, tentatively spring 2012, and tentatively comprising of a trip around the Baltic Sea though Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Russia, the Baltic States, Poland Germany again and France - but I am wide open to other suggestions/routes.I think that at least 3 months would be needed in order not to make it a route march.

I have a 23 AS pulled by a Toyota Tundra.Shipping them both to the Continent will cost around 3,000$.

Is anyone else interested in getting involved in the planning and participating ? lets talk!

Cheers

M
RMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:51 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OO , OO
Send a message via Skype™ to cruiser54
Wow, a dream trip! There also in Europe some Airstream owner are member's in special Club's. For example, in England, Germany, France...
The biggest and best service station for Airstreamer's is near Hamburg: airstream4u. There I bought my Cruiser in 1954.
Greetings from Switzerland
Werner
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:25 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
London (UK) / San Francisco , London / California
Yayy! I'm sure we'd join you on the trip. I'm shipping our trailer over to the UK for 2012, for a long trip away from the UK Olympics.

Kindly keep me posted on plans, we hope to adventure down to Southern France, Portugal and Spain.
Yomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
Hi Everyone!

I am planning a European adventure vacation, tentatively spring 2012, and tentatively comprising of a trip around the Baltic Sea though Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Russia, the Baltic States, Poland Germany again and France - but I am wide open to other suggestions/routes.I think that at least 3 months would be needed in order not to make it a route march.

I have a 23 AS pulled by a Toyota Tundra.Shipping them both to the Continent will cost around 3,000$.

Is anyone else interested in getting involved in the planning and participating ? lets talk!

Cheers

M
We are also wanting to ship our B Van to Europe in 2012, although have made no plans as to exactly when. Our long trips each year run from January to April 1st or so, then end of July to around November 1st. We need to be home for the holidays and then again for events and birthdays spring and early summer.

A suggestion was made to store the Interstate, come home and return, to get optimum travel time for the cost of shipping over and back. We are interested initially in France, Italy and Spain.

We are getting mixed information on the availability of things like dump stations in Europe. ??

Maggie
Old 07-19-2010, 04:32 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OO , OO
dump stations = in german "Entsorgungsstationen Reisemobile"

Reisemobil International » Entsorgungsstationen

Greetings
Werner
Old 07-19-2010, 06:07 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OO , OO
for Maggie:

blue underlined: "Reisemobil International Entsorgungsstationen" = LINK!!!! (click!)

- all "dump stations" in Europe.....
Old 07-19-2010, 08:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
for Maggie:

blue underlined: "Reisemobil International Entsorgungsstationen" = LINK!!!! (click!)

- all "dump stations" in Europe.....

Thank you!

Maggie
Old 07-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The first thing that occurs to me besides what a great trip, is electricity. It's different in Europe and there will have to be some adaptation for the converter. Would it be possible to rent an Airstream and tow vehicle in Europe for this trip? Narrow roads, especially in urban areas, are the reason that European Airstreams aren't as wide as North American ones.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
The first thing that occurs to me besides what a great trip, is electricity. It's different in Europe and there will have to be some adaptation for the converter. Would it be possible to rent an Airstream and tow vehicle in Europe for this trip? Narrow roads, especially in urban areas, are the reason that European Airstreams aren't as wide as North American ones.

Gene
We're in an Interstate, and roads, etc., should not be a problem. Having driven cars in rural Ireland and England several times in the past 10 years, vans the size of ours are commonplace. We would need a converter for the electricity.

We had a long conversation with a campground owner from England this past winter. He and his wife were "on holiday" while their campground was seasonally closed over there, buying a Class C in California, traveling 8 weeks in the U.S. and preparing to ship their purchase home. He said our Sprinter Van-based unit would be "perfect" over there, and suggested we sell it in Europe before we returned to pay for our trip!

Not wanting to tow anything, nor to rent something at more than it would cost to ship, getting our own over there to travel in seems to be a good option---and we're looking at it HARD! We will likely take a driving trip next year to scout it all out a bit before taking the big step of shipping it over.

Does sound like a great trip, doesn't it?!!

Maggie
Old 07-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
more.....

This is great - we may have a Caravan yet!

Re electricity: I carry a small Honda generator for hook up as I am often in remote areas and have no problems with that. I would do the same in Europe.

I have checked with one shipping agent and for a "rolo" for my Tundra and trailer ( 41') today they would charge 2800$ Newark to Bremerhaven.

Perhaps if we get enough interested parties, we could set up an email group for information/planning and general chat?

Cheers!
RMB is offline   Reply With Quote