Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2003, 08:14 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Ebay A/S Forums Link

I have an EXTREMELY quirky Internet Service Provider, and it is impossible to stay logged-in to both sites at the same time. My ISP is so over-subscribed that I can't get enough band-width to download any kind of photo or graphic file some 75% of the time. It is unusual when I can post a reply to a Post without having to log back in - - I will admit to being wordy, but I key at 70+ words per minute so it is not a time consuming process - - needless to say, I always "select all" and "copy" my posts as I know that invariably I will be logging back in and reposting nearly every time. For some reason my sessions don't time out as quickly with E-Bay, but it will likely happen very shortly after leaving the browser window inactive for more than a minute or two.

I wish there were alternatives to my current ISP, but there is only one other available with local dial-up access and their reputation is even worse than the ISP that I have. I guess it is the down-side to living in a town of 4,000 that is more than 40 miles from the nearest metropolitan center. The only other ISP alternative that we have is DirecPC as our cable company does not offer cable modems nor does our local telephone company offer any alternatives.

I am still very suspicious that there is a problem with cookies from E-Bay with certain browsers. I discovered this evening when I tried to begin a new session logging-in to E-Bay from a newly opened browser window - - was advised that my browser was not accepting cookies - - checked my browser and discovered that my cookies settings had been corrupted - - ran the repair routine through Windows Install and corrected the issue with cookies being accepted. For the first time today, I didn't get anyone else's login information in my login window.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 07:43 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Unhappy sorry

well folks sorry that all of yoy are have problems i hope that you can get this resolved a.s.p and i would like to thank you for the warning i will have to keep an eye on my ebay account.
striker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 08:01 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

I thought it was just me

I have the same mystery occur when I try to log in to My-ebay.

I have been getting someone elses email address come up where my log-in name used to appear. This just started to happen in the last few days.

But why not...my email program, Outlook Express, will not let me reply to anyone, I have to create a new message, and I can not email to aol accounts most of the time. My ISP Earthlink can't figure it out.

Makes me concerned that as we begin to rely on this technology for more and more things, and it is so easy to breach the security, that were are setting ourselves up for some nasty suprises in the future.

Maybe Saddams minions will bring us to our knees by witholding ebay for a week?

Ciao, Brian
Old 02-18-2003, 10:49 AM   #24
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Apparently this is an ebay problem, I got an email from them requesting info on problems I reported. They are working on it.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 02:58 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1992 35' Airstream 350
Port Hueneme , SOCAL
To check this out I went to my ebay and sure enough their system thought that I was someone else and provided a list of items (tool and airstream related) that did not belong to me.

I logged out and back in from ebay home and my own account was accessible.

So, the ebay link appears to login automatically, but uses a different name each time? Some hack job, congratulations. Try for something bigger next time? lol.

dbyar
350 LE Classic '92
dbyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 07:22 PM   #26
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
I just won an auction

Yup, I am the lucky winner of some cabinet handles (non-airstream).
Never seen that auction before.
Lot's of discussions going on at the e-bay forums about the my-ebay problem:
ebay forum
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 07:27 PM   #27
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
peter

if you're not gonna use those handles i'm sure jason would like them!

jk!

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 07:35 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

I just got a notice that I had instantly purchased a 3 year subscription to a Fishing magazine. I don't even fish! This might explain it, Did anyone TRY to buy this subscription?
Old 02-22-2003, 09:40 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Question I was wondering if?

overlander64 and, all....

I realize this is a far-fetch idea but, I wondered if your computer's remote feature is, somehow, enabled?
For those that use XP, see if your firewall enabled?
I'd also check the security level settings of your internet and, which website's you may have set as 'Trusted sites'..
Just a few things to look at while you're waiting for EBay to resolve this..
Good luck..
ciao
BTW, I have an EBay account, etc...and, have never seen this problem yet..Whew..
I run a program called 'window washer daily and, manually deleted cookies etc, after running a program called AD-AWARE, Version 6.0
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 10:21 AM   #30
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
it's an ebay problem

more from the ebay forum.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
My eBay brings up someone else's account???
shse_355 (14) (view author's auctions)
02/13/03 7:49 PM

i usually have the ordinary running slow, items not showing up problems, but tonight when I hit my ebay on the toolbar someone else's account came up. After refresh it didn't help, so logged on again in my id again, and a 2nd someone else's account came up. Anyone know why this is happening?
(0 previous messages)

exnavynuke759 (128) (view author's auctions)
02/22/03 9:11 AM (# 1 of 1)

I don't know why this is happening but I received an email from someone who was able to make a bid with my account when he thought his was logged in as himself. Fortunately he noticed that he was using my account and was able to notify me and the seller that the auction that showed that I won was actually him and not me. I think ebay has a serious problem right now. I have seen other postings with the same problems as yours.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
AIR #13
Old 02-22-2003, 10:43 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
To: 68 Suburban

That Ebay "Buy it Now" attempted purchase was probaly me. (Hope you don't shoot the messanger!)

I just sent you an email about this.

I use Compuserve (which is affiliated with AOL). I see some of you use AOL that are having this problem.

I don't know much about these types of things, but does anyone suspect it may be a problem with AOL or Compuserve (such as with their security settings/preferences) rather than a problem with Ebay or the A/S Forum?

John
Old 02-22-2003, 11:03 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

DID IT AGAIN!!!

I just went to ebay and clicked on my-ebay and I was immediately taken to the my-ebay page for reconstructor24@

I did not even have to put in a username or password!

I emailed that person to tell them they might be buying things while they sleep.

Anyone on this board have that email name?

Ciao, Brian
Old 02-22-2003, 11:42 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb ANDY

andy~
I'd like to suggest that:
Remove the Hyperlink to EBAY~
I noticed that you have EBAY HYPERLINKED from this forum to EBAY..Is it possible to ask you to consider removing that "hyperlink" from the home page of airstreamforums.com ??
This could be for a short period of time..
To see if this problem will go away ??
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 12:38 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfisher
To: 68 Suburban

That Ebay "Buy it Now" attempted purchase was probaly me. (Hope you don't shoot the messanger!)

I just sent you an email about this.

I use Compuserve (which is affiliated with AOL). I see some of you use AOL that are having this problem.

I don't know much about these types of things, but does anyone suspect it may be a problem with AOL or Compuserve (such as with their security settings/preferences) rather than a problem with Ebay or the A/S Forum?

John
John, I all ready contacted the seller and she was real cool about it. So everything is ok. Thanks for letting me know what was up
Old 02-22-2003, 12:42 PM   #35
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
I will remove the eBay feeds for now...

Peter can you keep an eye on eBay so we can know when to put the feature back?

Thanks,

Andy
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 01:48 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I got the reconstructor24?? business too when I went to Ebay until I deleted my cookies and logged back in.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 02:25 PM   #37
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Re: I will remove the eBay feeds for now...

Quote:
Originally posted by Organic Hosting
Peter can you keep an eye on eBay so we can know when to put the feature back?

Thanks,

Andy
Will try, but I have a feeling ebay is very quiet about the problem. After two days, they still haven't replied to my email.
Going to ebay and seeing someone elses login name in your account is one thing, being able to use someone's account is a totally different thing. We are talking about security breach and accounts being compromised.
I changed my passwords with ebay and paypal and removed any sensitive information.
AIR #13
Old 02-22-2003, 03:14 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

ALANSD

The "reconstructor24" account we both brought up on ebay must be someone on this forum. They are watching an A/S motorhome and a SOB motorhome. Or is bauxiteitis spreading via the www.

Ciao, Brian
Old 02-22-2003, 03:23 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs down Lose the link...we all can get to ebay just fine without it!

I too had another forum member's email address come up in my ebay account login page, just the user name, not the password though. Fortunately, I know who it is and let them know.

I don't use either aol or compuserve, have never used the link from this page and have a different user name & password on ebay than here.

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 04:54 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Ebay A/S Forums Link

I have had the same experience as Shari. I have never utilized the link from AirstreamForums to E-Bay, but I frequently get one of three different usernames other than my own in the log-in box for "My E-Bay". I have also gone directly to "reconstructor. . . '" My-Ebay page; when this has happened, logging-out, deleting cookies and all other temporary Internet files has soleved the problem temporarily (about 72 hours). I do not have AOL or any of the other major nationwide Internet Service Providers so I am still convinced that it is centralized to E-Bay and their cookies. I have had this happen with three different Internet Service Providers - - WINCO.NET, TDS.NET, and MHTC.NET.

It is a curious, and potentially disturbing security issue for E-Bay. The user name appearing in the login-window doesn't concern me as much as the periodic popping into someone else's "My-E-Bay" page.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote