Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Driving In Weather

Today's terrible events in OK started a chat at home. We are from NJ, we know snow and hurricanes. We also travel a lot...just how do you prepare yourself while out on the road in a Tornado area? Where do you seek shelterif on a highway, or in a campground in an area you are just passing thru? We reslly don't know. To any Forum members in the area, I pray you and your families are safe.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
As a moving target on the highway - if you see the funnel you can stop or speed up. Likely, you will get hail damage but that's about it.

Search for overpass and stop if an option. Otherwise pull over and seek shelter.

Protect yourself - Airstreams and tow vehicles can be replaced as you and your family cannot (cloneing technology is just not quite ready yet)...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Do NOT take cover under an overpass

Please, please DO NOT take cover under an overpass if you see a tornado coming.

Here is what NOAA advises on the subject:

Tornado Overpass Information

You are much better off if you are in open highway to continue driving, if you have to, at right angles to the path. Don't ever try to outrun one that is bearing down on you or try to beat one that may be about to cross your path.

Airstreams and tow vehicles can be replaced, lives cannot.

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
In a previous life I rode MC everywhere. That included being caught in the open on interstate with NO where to pull of East of Mobile, BAMA. Hailed on, serious wind...

Finally exited and pulled into gas station which had lost all its glass. As I stepped into the store the employee and patrons came out of the fridge areA, totally shaken.... Saying "how did you he here?!!" I said "just rode in from Mobile..""why""?" Attendant said..." Mr. We just had a tornado come through. How did you survive?"

He was really freaking out, As well as several patrons. I assured them I had just ridden my motorcycle in. About this time we noticed the patrons cars were missing and a lot of the roof and all glass as well as most of the merchandise. This furthered the awe of my supposed riding skills.

About that time my riding buddy walked up. Said, "man I saw you disappear in the rain cloud and took first exit. Glad I found you ok!"

Next, a local police and a State patrol units pulled up with similar bewilderment that we had just ridden through the storm. They questioned us for a bit and were not really biting on the facts.

We then Began to realize how BLESSED we were.... In reached over to the Rosary I kept on my handlebars and said a quick prayer ending with "thanks Mom!"

I later found white feathers embedded in my patch colors vest and other places on the MC. I realized those are Guardian Angel feathers which I have found after some of my "close calls". Hopefully I am done "collecting" those.

Bottom line, exercise caution where you should and have your house in order because when your "number" comes up, you may as well enjoy the ride.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi rom AZ. . . We have similar concerns cause we're traveling PHX to ATL starting friday. And yes our usual route is I-40 thru OKC. We will sure keep a close eye on weather. Our total sympathies with the folks in Oklahoma, hard to watch that coverage, regards, Craig