Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-04-2021, 06:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Dolly for moving AS in tight spots

I’ve read many of the opinions on a dolly for moving an AS in tight spots but most comments are a few years old and I was wondering if there are new products or technologies that have improved functionality and reliability. My friend and I share a large storage facility for his 30’ AS and my 28’ AS and although there is plenty of room to store them side by side, it is challenging to get them into position because the door isn’t as wide as the internal storage space. The storage area is concrete and level. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.
Pappy3393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
These search results will reveal some of those [somewhat dated] threads for everyone's information:

https://www.google.com/search?q=trai...=airforums.com
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f48...ws-187504.html
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f23...ly-171711.html

Given the need for a trailer owner to stand there in person, and actively manage the operation with one's own eyes, ears and so forth, the technology probably has not changed that much IMO.

Happy trails.

FEI
FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 09:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Having owned a ParkIt360 that was rated for at least 10k if I recall, meaning it should have been able to handle upward of 1000lb hitch weight. I would not recommend.

The assembly where the ball stand meets the base completely failed. The metal around the weld just completely shredded. This was an expensive lesson learned using it on my smaller trailers. I would NOT buy or suggest a ParkIt360.

Kittermaster turned me onto the AirTug and though it too was not cheap, the thing was designed to move aircraft and is way more rugged than the PT360 ever was.

Buy once, buy an Airtug and forget about it. I would wrestle with my ParkIt to the point where I was physically exhausted after 20 mins. The AirTug does 99% of the work, is well balanced and virtually effortless to use. It's so efficient, powerful and easy to use, I now disconnect on the side street and allow the AirTug to take it into it's parking space from the street, which is on a slight incline.

I bought the electric 15k AirTug unit. Yea, it's a bit overkill, but there is nothing like having the right tool for the job. Comparatively, it's about $1800 +/- more than the comparable PI360 and a no brainer as far as I am concerned having used both, only I'm out nearly $6500 when I could have just spent the $3800 in the first place.

If anyone needs any parts for their PI360, I have handle, chain, sprokets axle, tires...keeping the motor for a winch and the switch was dying before the failure, so no control switch...sorry.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 10:58 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2020 19' Caravel
Ammon , Idaho
That AirTug looks awesome.
OutdoorIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 11:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
I highly recommend the Trailer Valet XL. I have used it to move both my 25FB & 30 Bunk. It was mixed reviews, most of the negative reviews were boat owners. The hitch isn't heavy enough with most boats to allow enough traction. I found a deal for $680 @ Home Depot. I chose this due to it's size, I need something compact and light... I would buy it again!

Check out this video I made:

https://youtube.com/shorts/y74JNXBcdRE?feature=share
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3358.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	659.4 KB
ID:	394872   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3293.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	636.6 KB
ID:	394873  

Name:	IMG_3208.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	680.9 KB
ID:	394874  
s1000pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Agree with the above. You are splitting this between two owners. The trailers are large and heavy. Get something that is totally capable.
Though your CURRENT application is ideal, you may find yourself moving a trailer around outside, possibly on gravel. This requires more force to move the trailer, hence a greater “moment arm” that tries to rearrange the dolly trailer connection. You want foolproof - 1000 plus pounds is a lot of weight to watch crash to the ground.
You posed a very good question; it is very easy to be tempted by a “cheapest solution rated for the job” sales pitch.
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 01:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Like s1000pre, I use a Trailer Valet XL for my 27FB. Been using it for four years now, and I like it and don't feel a need to use anything. Stable, secure, and compact. It does take a bit of getting use to with the ergonomics and brake lock, but it works and works well.

You can see my situation is a precision operation. I get the trailer 50% into the sideyard with the TV, and use the dolly for the rest. There's a slight grade in the driveway and it has no problem at all.

Name:	AStrailervalet.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	366.5 KB
ID:	394882
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:28 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2020 23' Globetrotter
Gaithersburg , MD
Lightbulb

We have the park-it and love it. It helps us get our trailer down an s-curve driveway and onto a perpendicular spot. Easy as pie.

https://youtu.be/TtnuBu-RWDE
guest house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:21 AM   #9
caz
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Elgin , Texas
I opted for the Trailer Valet XL. I do not want another battery to store & maintain. I like simple & all mechanical. I do not have enough room on my trailer frame to easily attach a bracket to accommodate the Airtug - and it is a way too expensive of device for my needs.
caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:39 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Napa , California
We have used Trailer Valet RVR9 (tank tread model), Power Caster and ParkIt360. We have a driveway with short incline/decline of 6-8%. From what I have read a 3% incline will increase the weight factor by 50%.
Because of our driveway configuration, we will park our AS in the driveway first and then use the trailer dolly to maneuver the AS into a spot higher on the side of our house. This means our dolly hookup starts with the AS wanting to go downhill towards the street.
The Trailer Valet was purchased from our Airstream dealer. Because of the tread design and AS pointing downhill, the load on the treads is perpendicular to where I want the trailer to go. As such, the trailer wanted to push the treads off the Trailer Valet at which point I would have not had any control of the trailer. Thoughts of the AS heading down the street were not comforting and I returned the Trailer Valet to the dealer.
I then purchased a Power Caster. This dolly has enough capacity to bring the AS up to our side yard. I added the trailer brake control option to the dolly but trying to maneuver the AS up the incline, control the separate brake switch and squeeze through a tight gate proved more than my brain could handle. I accidentally left the trailer brake on when powering the dolly and bent my jack. I returned the Power Caster.
I finally purchased the Parkit360 Force ISC 10K B3. It has a 10,000 lb capacity. It is still not an easy maneuver into our side yard from our driveway, but the Parkit360 handles the job. I am sure I am at the operating capacity of the dolly but because the 7 way plug is integral with the dolly and when you stop going forward or backward the trailer brake is automatically engaged. I finally sleep without dreaming of our AS heading down the slope!
The challenge overall is understanding how your particular situation will work with these tools. Had our space been flat, we could have used the Trailer Valet or Power Caster or Parkit360. The good news for us was the Parkit360 was the least costly of the options and it works. Only other advice is make sure you tighten the ball to hitch connection multiple times throughout the moving process as twisting the dolly back and forth will loosen the connection.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0708.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	548.0 KB
ID:	394939   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1440.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	437.5 KB
ID:	394940  

Name:	IMG_1442.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	394941  
wineteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:38 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Im Fang , Canton Freiburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy3393 View Post
I’ve read many of the opinions on a dolly for moving an AS in tight spots but most comments are a few years old and I was wondering if there are new products or technologies that have improved functionality and reliability. My friend and I share a large storage facility for his 30’ AS and my 28’ AS and although there is plenty of room to store them side by side, it is challenging to get them into position because the door isn’t as wide as the internal storage space. The storage area is concrete and level. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.
The ultimate is the little robot. I have one here in Switzerland. It’s perfect for my needs.

https://trailervalet.com/rvr/
2005 Airstream International CCD 22’ #4242
Name: Hi-Ho Silver!
1656 Im Fang, Switzerland
david.steed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Have you considered a front hitch? Maybe it wouldn't work for your situation, but it has the advantage of always being with you if you need it to get into tight campsite. I installed one recently to move a 26' Avion into the backyard of a city home. I had to go back about 100' with much of that being between 2 houses that were 10' apart. To add to the challenge, there were obstacles on one side that required entering and exiting at an angle, and the street I was starting from was narrow. This was the first time I used the front hitch and I was amazed at the control and visibility it provided.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front Hitch.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	561.9 KB
ID:	394953  

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:51 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
I have an AirTug 15000# electric (battery) model. It is awesome. I used it to pull my 2019 Classic 30 up a slight incline and over the curb of my driveway on a very narrow street. It also has a brake controller and will activate the trailer brakes if needed. It did what I needed and more. In a warehouse, it would be perfect.

My moving issues have changed after using it for about a year. It didn't get used much at all. If anyone is interested, PM me. I assume the truck that brought it here can take it another direction. It just sits in my garage staying charged.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:27 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Charleston , South Carolina
I purchased The Trailer Valet for my 30' FC. It works great. E trailer sells them. Look at you tube video.
derfrengaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:48 PM   #15
J9b

2010 19' Flying Cloud
Salem , Oregon
Any feedback on this trac power dolly product? https://traxpowerdolly.com/
J9b is offline   Reply With Quote