Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2014, 11:53 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
More Airstreams seem to be stolen from storage than anywhere else - at least from threads recorded on this forum. Many times the storage is locked too.

Deterrants

Hitch locks: are pretty weak. Anyone with a set of chains could just wrap them around the tongue and go. A Hensley (or ProPride) hitch is weird enough to confuse a lot of "grab and go" types... but is far more expensive than a hitch lock. Again, wrap a good set of chains and yank the sucker along.

Alarms: Audible alarms? Look where most storage lots are located? Who is going to hear the alarm or respond? And once someone decides to steal your Airstream, they probably aren't upstanding types who will cherish and care for it... It may be destined to become a mobile meth lab, or be chopped up for salvage parts. Or partied in for a few weeks and abandoned.

The "Boot" - not bad, but everything CAN be defeated. And you have to store it too.

Chain through the rims on two tires of a tandem axle unit. - not bad, but everything CAN be defeated. Use a plastic covered chain to protect your aluminum wheels. Get a high quality chain with an excellent lock so that lock snips won't work. Anyone who has to saw through the chain will probably look for an easier target. Lighter and less expensive than the boot.

The presence of a classic "junk yard dog" - priceless.
A police officer friend described what happened to a burgler who broke into a house with a Rottweiler in residence. "Well he's in the hospital having a Rottweiler surgically removed from his ass." Pretty accurately described what happened in the aftermath of the crime.

GPS tracker systems - not inexpensive to install or have monitored. Police departments like these systems and do quite often catch the thieves and recover the vehicles, but if your unit is stolen for export, it ends up in an intermodal "container" where the signal is blocked.

Insurance - it's emotionally wrenching to lose an Airstream. I imagine it would be easily far worse if it were a beautifully restored vintage unit... but if it's a plain old new or gently used model with little or no customization you will get over it (probably by getting a newer model with more bells and whistles).
Old 11-12-2014, 12:24 AM   #62
3 Rivet Member

benicia , California
I just purchased a Trimax hitch coupler lock. It should at least slow down a thief. Maybe have him/her think twice. I am also looking at buying two sets of 15mm thick cable chains and big ass locks to put through the rims. The AS is going to be parked in a locked outdoor storage facility with a combination keypad and the manager lives onsite. The rig is also insured as well as the personal belongings within. I may drop my deductible to $500 as the difference in insurance payments are negligible.
cantdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 01:02 AM   #63
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
As of now we're using a hitch lock from California Immobilizer (ironically, they are in Canada, the other CA), a heavy padlock through the safety chains to make them more difficult to use, and we're storing in a fenced / locked / keypad accessible covered facility with a manager living on site.

While boots are likely effective, they seem quite heavy and unwieldy. With cables / chains through the wheels, I worry that I would forget to remove them before pulling out!

So, I guess insurance will have to cover the rest. Several AS trailers and a couple of classic AS motor homes are stored on site amongst many other nice-looking SOB TTs and MoHos. Malefactors would have plenty to choose from.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 03:53 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I store my trailer at home in the driveway. I use a tongue lock to at least slow the thief down. The truck is usually parked in front of the trailer. It is locked and has its alarm system. We live on a busy street. Even still I worry that someone could break in and steal the flat screens, Blu-ray player, and stereo or steal the whole trailer while I'm gone. I have considered buying 2 or 4 boots and leaving them at home when we travel. I have also thought about running a cable/chain through the wheels, which would require no outlay of cash.

The presence of many barking dogs in my neighbors' backyard (and many other backyards) is probably a deterrent.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:07 AM   #65
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
If you store an Airstream trailer at home, there is one theft deterrent no one has mentioned yet. A huge chunk of concrete set in the ground, with a big steel ring or loop sticking out the top. Then you can chain your Airstream to the ground, and nobody will be towing it away unless they have bolt cutters big enough to cut whatever chain that you're going to use. And of you lock the chain with one of the various models of Kryptonite lock…

Concrete weighs 150 pounds per cubic foot, so a PVC pipe three feet long and one foot in diameter, filled with concrete, with a piece of all-thread rod three feet long and with an eye on one end will form an anchor that no one is going to move without bringing a backhoe.

And as a side benefit, this type of anchor will form an excellent ground rod for your trailer in case of lightning strikes.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:13 AM   #66
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
A rechargeable angle grinder with a cutoff wheel will remove many deterrents.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:25 AM   #67

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
A rechargeable angle grinder with a cutoff wheel will remove many deterrents.
If the thieves come prepared to that extent, you can't stop them anyway.

What you can do is slow down thieves enough that they go look for easier prey elsewhere.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

benicia , California
I just spent $150 today on a pair of 8' very heavy zinc coated chains, 3 big super duty padlocks and a battery powered door alarm system with keypad. If thieves still get in or drive my AS away, it'll be up to my insurance coverage to do the rest.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:57 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
Interesing thread and got me to thinking about sprays as a defensive deterrent. so was wondering if anyone carries a spray such as for bears, dogs or humans.
A taser is probably a better choice.
Trixella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrv55 View Post
I just spent $150 today on a pair of 8' very heavy zinc coated chains, 3 big super duty padlocks and a battery powered door alarm system with keypad. If thieves still get in or drive my AS away, it'll be up to my insurance coverage to do the rest.
Where did you find your chains and padlocks? Are the chains plastic coated?
Trixella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:06 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member

benicia , California
I went to Lowes hardware. The chains are zinc coated and supposedly rust proof.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:09 AM   #72

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantdrv55 View Post
I went to Lowes hardware. The chains are zinc coated and supposedly rust proof.
Galvanized chain WILL rust, because as the links rub against each other, the galvanizing wears off. But it should take a few years for that to happen.
Old 11-13-2014, 01:28 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
All you would need is a good bolt cutter, a hitch lock is all you would need and a sign that says "YOU ARE NOW IN MY SIGHTS" .....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote