Old 03-01-2020, 08:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yucaipa , California
Discount Pricing?

Hi,

We sold our AS last year but we want to try again this summer! Going to start our shopping but fear we are entering peak season in CA. We live in Yucaipa, LA Inland Empire if location plays a part...

What sort of percentage off MSRP should we expect and bargain for? Our last one we only got ~5% and come to find many get 15% to even 20%! But is that just due to extreme shopping or knowing time to buy or luck? 20% seems extreme and I have not seen that quite that low yet but maybe wrong time of year?

We're looking at at least 25' Flying Cloud and a budget of maybe $85,000+/-. Will probably finance half of that. So finding a $95,000 for $75,000 to $85,000 reasonable?

Thanks

Walstib

Walstib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Shoot for 30% and settle for 20%. Whatís on the lot will be your choice. When I went to Airstream Los Angeles they said they will charge 100% MSRP if they needed to order a trailer. You may have better luck buying outside of CA and searching for 2019 or 2018 if they still have available.

Just my 0.02

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 08:51 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yucaipa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
Shoot for 30% and settle for 20%. What’s on the lot will be your choice. When I went to Airstream Los Angeles they said they will charge 100% MSRP if they needed to order a trailer. You may have better luck buying outside of CA and searching for 2019 or 2018 if they still have available.

Just my 0.02
Wow!

30%! Were you able to get 30% off at LA Airstream? Volume must make a difference...

We haven't tried there yet. Guys down in Temecula were very nice last time but couldn't come close to other price offer which like I mentioned was ~5%.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Discount Pricing?

If you buy a 2019 off the lot in Q1 or Q2 in 2020 you can get 30%. Dealers need to move previous year inventory. Those are the real deals to get after.

You will easily get 15-20% off a new order if you work with a dealer who moves volume.

I live in Denver area. I purchased from colonial in NJ because they had the one I wanted on the lot (30í international). 21% discount with one phone call to Patrick. Shipped my SUV to colonial for $800 bucks, flew out on points, Uber from airport, hitched up and drove home. Local dealer was $5k more and would not play ball. Thatís ok - it just business.

If you search the forums I wrote a post on how to negotiate the purchase of a new airstream.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:38 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
No, we actually bought from OR dealer that was willing to work with us and order the trailer we want. I believe we got 18% off. It was a few years ago now so I donít recall exact.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:12 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yucaipa , California
Thanks for the replies!

Have you found dealing with the same dealer multiple times offers any benefits? Do they try to sweeten the pot figuring "we got an RV'er here and they like to upgrade"?

We decided to go back to the dealer we bought #1 from a year and a half ago. They recognized us but didn't seem to treat us any different than the next guy through the door. Didn't have anything at a price that was special so still searching.

If we follow through we'd be spending over $150,000 at one dealer.... I know some coaches can fetch $1M so in the scheme of things still small fries...
Old 03-02-2020, 10:16 AM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walstib View Post
Thanks for the replies!

Have you found dealing with the same dealer multiple times offers any benefits? Do they try to sweeten the pot figuring "we got an RV'er here and they like to upgrade"?

We decided to go back to the dealer we bought #1 from a year and a half ago. They recognized us but didn't seem to treat us any different than the next guy through the door. Didn't have anything at a price that was special so still searching.

If we follow through we'd be spending over $150,000 at one dealer.... I know some coaches can fetch $1M so in the scheme of things still small fries...
From my experience I have found that my dealer does give preference in service if you bought the trailer from them. It usually comes into play when you find you need a quick service repair right before a trip!. Good service earns them repeat sales. My local dealership has told me that he knows who his customers are when you call for the repair appointment.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote