Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
i have done so much surfing on the web, that my one working brain cell is spinning.... one would have to be a f***ing dolt to take a frozen dish and immediately put it into a preheated oven... if my one working brain cell is still functioning, i seem to recall an old ad where they subjected a frozen utensil to a torch....that was the selling point....that it was so awesome...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ouch!

Makes me love my new Volcano stove and cast iron dutch oven even more!

Glad you weren't hurt - beyond the mess and lost food.

Paula
Old 10-29-2011, 08:00 PM   #23
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Remember, Corning is the same Corning that made the self-destructing Corning tempered windows...
I've blown up a few Pyrex pots and pans. I remember one Visions commercial where they placed a metal saucepan in a Visions saucepan, and melted the metal pan into a glob of steel in the bottom of the Visions pot.
Glad you're back, and weren't hurt, except for your food budget, Norby.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
HOUSE SPRINGS , MO
Oh my gosh - I'm so glad you weren't hurt, but what a mess to clean up!!!

I had not heard about exploding pyrex, I don't usually move from cold to hot, I never plan that far in advance... But now, I think it's definitely time for it to go. I've been using cast iron, not just for camp cooking, and the pyrex has been taking up valuable real estate in my cupboards. Just the extra nudge needed for getting rid of it. Yikes!!!

Tina
Old 10-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Saint Louis , MO
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke
I don't have the references handy at the moment, but the type of glass used in Corning products has changed in the past few years. There have been quite a few incidents recently. I believe the story was in Consumer Reports within the past month or two.
I read the same article. There are abridged versions available online without a subscription. I used to preferentially buy glass bakeware. Now I am trying to replace it all with metal.
tlsmit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:26 AM   #26
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
I don't have the references handy at the moment, but the type of glass used in Corning products has changed in the past few years. There have been quite a few incidents recently. I believe the story was in Consumer Reports within the past month or two.
That's absolutely correct; it is in the January, 2011 issue. CR also talks briefly about the "aggressive strategy in challenging consumers' complaints" used by World Kitchen, who are apparently the owners of the Corning cookware business.

Sad when a company with the history and good name of Corning bakeware takes that kind of stance when apparent difficulties arise with the product.