Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2004, 05:55 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Currently Looking...
Cartersville , Georgia
Dinette Questions

We just spent our first three nights in our new 2000 Safari with rear twins. We were disappointed with how uncomfortable the front couch is for two adults to sleep on. We are hoping a dinette bed would be more comfortable. It appears the dinette bed would be wider and flatter. We also like the eating and socializing arrangement better with a dinette.

Can anyone comment as to how the dinette bed compares with the couch bed in later model Airstreams? Can a new dinette be purchased from Airstream? If so, how much? Anyone interested in a swap?
Tin Can Crabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 07:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi TCC;

Not that I am any expert LOL only had our A/S for just over a month but I have had so much help from everyone on this forum that I have this desperate need to provide help in return (if I can).

so leaning on my boating experience (and only one freezing night in the A/S in Kentucky on our Journey with her.

.....as many boat galleys have the same set up with the table breaking down into a double bed.

The problem I see is that because the Dinette gets so much use, builders have to have a really high grade firm foam to stand up to the test of time. This makes for a pretty hard sleep.

But I also see that in many cases the builders do not (boat or airstream) go the extra step with the 2nd & possibly 3rd layer of foams - such as in quality matresses and seat cushions on living room sets.

Not sure about others but the Goucho style couches are basically set up with the same foam - so I doubt their comfort would be any better. Might be a little longer though.

Short of upgrading your cushions - you could consider padding them up inside depending on the amount of room your covers allow.

Or get yourself a Mattress cover/pad (egg shell foam, or the like) and Cut to size - go the extra mile and make a zippered slip cover for it. Not sure what your under seat storage is like on your model but it could pop in there out of the way possibly - or roll it up like a back ballast (seen someone do something similar with their bedding in the photo albums)

Some people have substitued the couch or dinette for a futon bed - well we have one in our house and I would say - the Goucho is more comfortable

We tend to agree with you on the Dinette -

Our Dinette doubles as two twins Kind of a neat set up - the backrest flips up to make the seat area wider and the short side end section flips out to make the lenght of the second Twin in front of the door - but still leaves just enough room to get out the door in an emergency. We also have a goucho couch that makes up into a double in the back left and (Back right wet bath).

We are lucky too that the table can be half open leaving lots of living room. Or full out to seat 5-6 in a pinch for a Dinner Party - oh and one at the end makes 7 or if you really like closeness 2 at the end make 8, as long as we don't tip the weigh scale when we get to the limit we will just have to move outside - or to a bigger fellow Streamers place.

Anyway hope that helps a bit...Can't wait to get in, our first 3 nighter.

Happy Sleeping

SPK
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 07:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

I think you will find that the dinette does, in fact, lie flatter. The problem with any assembled bed is always the places where the cushions butt against one another. The jacknife couch is particularly at fault in this reguard.

Some people have resorted to foam mattress covers to help even out the surface. These can be rolled up for storage. You might want to try this on your sofa before you do anything drastic. Even if you change to a dinette you may still want the mattress topper.

There have been a couple of threads on these forums concerning the making of a dinette.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 09:19 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Currently Looking...
Cartersville , Georgia
!

Thank you for the information...we used the egg shell foam and it didn't help at all. The couch is very "springy"...it feels like there is virtually NO foam...just springs! With our '67 Caravel, I had redone the gouchos with a firm, thick foam and even though it was VERY firm, the egg shell did the trick. So, I am thinking that maybe with a dinette (the fact that it lies more flat), the egg shell or something similar, would help. I slept on a futon for 4 years in college...don't really think I want to do that again, but it is an idea, especially since neither one of us want to sleep on that couch ever again! We thought of putting the kids up there and sleeping in the rear twins, but the reason we sold the caravel was so they could have their own beds (one boy, one girl) and we could put them to sleep without having to go to bed at the same time! I will look into building a dinette...at least we have experience in upholstry and could do it ourselves if we had to. If anyone has any other ideas...fire away, we are going to have to do something!!! Thanks again for the help!
Old 02-27-2004, 11:29 AM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
There's a bunch of good info on building a dinette if you search the forum. It's a topic that comes up occasionally, and InsideOut added one to their globetrotter. They have a bunch of good pictures on their webpage.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 01:17 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Currently Looking...
Cartersville , Georgia
Thanks Steph!

We will check it out! I think we could do it...I sure don't want to think what it would cost/how long it would take to do if we took it to the Airstream Factory and had them do it!!! We are going to go back to FL to get the trailer in three weeks. By then, our Caravel will be out of here and with its new owners
Old 02-27-2004, 03:28 PM   #7

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Awww, bye bye Caravel!

I'm looking at building a dinette myself. I want to build a small two person dinette on the side of the coach opposite the kitchen, to replace the gaucho there, and turn the front dinette into a permanent bed. Ours is folded down into a bed most of the time for lounging anyway. But I still must have a dinette for eating and playing cards

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote