Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2014, 11:35 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith032 View Post
I agree.... size is what we're deciding on now. I have a kid, soon to be another one on the way so we definitely wont be going the recliner route anytime soon (even though it looks awesome). I've been towing with the newer rear bunk on the flying cloud, but not super excited with the floor plan and after being in some bigger 27-31' internationals, I think we could swing putting the kids on the pull out lounge and go that route. Like you said though, the biggest decision is size.

This should probably be a new topic, but what does everyone pull theirs with, specifically the 27' + models? The GVWR isnt bad and the salesman told me I could get away pulling it behind my 2013 Dodge Ram 4x with a trailer brake. My max towing weight is 9800.

My wife and I have a 3.5 year old son and 16 month old daughter...and a boston terrier...

We spent about 2 years contemplating which model, year, etc...size was the hardest decision, but it became easier once we had settled on the notion of a bunkhouse model.

Its only been since 11/15/13 since we picked up our 2014 FC bunkhouse, and so far we adore it.

It does sacrifice alot for the bunkhouse....but the notion of fiddling with preparing areas for naps and for sleeping as a shared space was less than ideal for us....having said that, we did vacillate a ton over sofa models 27 vs 28 vs. 30 and so on...personal preference cannot be understated I imagine.

For now, we sleep our daughter in pack-n-play - we deploy it and it sits on the dinette after pushing down the table top flush....son prefers the upper bunk. we are now pretty close to done with the pack-n-play and our daughter will sleep on the bottom bed (full size) - this will be entirely hassle free for all naps and putting kids to sleep...leaving the rest of trailer free for us.

Below are a couple links to relevant discussions of bunkhouse vs. others for parents....in reading this thread, I get the sense you will not lean toward a bunk model....but figured I would provide the info in case the idea has not been tossed around.

Good luck!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...se-106222.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f292...lub-29241.html

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:31 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
I know exactly what you're talking about. But what I want is the openness of the nightstands. The wardrobes/closets seem to box in the room a lot.
Yes, one reason why I like our 27FB bedroom over our 30 Classic bedroom....
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 03:56 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Is the 27FB the model with panoramic windows front and rear? That is awesome.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
1)Start with the size and decor of the trailer. ( and / or price break)
2)Then make certain you can tow it comfortably. ( i.e. What is your TV?)
3)Sit in the trailer for as long as it takes to imagine living in the trailer, from preparing meals, sleeping, bathing, watching TV and simply lounging. We sat in our current AS for several hours and discussed attributes and options. ( probably drove the sales personnel nuts!)

We added solar thru the dealer. Added 16" LT Michelins, added a full floor instead of carpet in the LR, deleted TV on wall behind dinette ( too hard to see screen from couch) and thus were able to place nice 26" tv on cabinet in LR for viewing from couch.

We usually spend about 4 months a year in our AS ( not consecutive) and immensely enjoy the comfort, decor and amenities.

We ordered our AS from JC.

Try to discern what will irritate you the most in any trailer over time. e.g.: cabinets, where microwave is placed, access to refer, kitchen sink, watching TV, tank capacities, etc. …then…can you live with those irritations or are they deal breakers.

Many prior posts are erudite and insightful.

Take your time!!!! ( we once owned a fifth wheel then "saw the light" and found our niche in camping.
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
oh and I forgot this thread to review as well.....good luck in your considerations....so many cool options to consider. We abosolutely loved some of the more modern decor of the international models....a 28 of a serenity tempted me....
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483...rv-109342.html

Old 04-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #46
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anna , Texas
Quote:
I looked at that option but don't think I can convince the wife we're sleeping on separate beds. The twin beds are longer than the one queen and me being 6'4 it makes sense to me, but not her
One more comment on twin beds. I really like the modification Doug and others have done where they replace the dinette with recliners. But our college age daughters still go camping with us so for the moment we need the sleeping space that the sofa/dinette provide. When we are all in the trailer they sit at the table or on the sofa with their laptops or iphones, while we sit on the twin beds in the back. I sit back in the corner with my feet up and a couple pillows behind my back. It's actually pretty comfortable. Some day when it's just the wife and I we may look at doing the recliner mod.

With the twin beds we also have the wrap around windows in front and back so it feels very open and light. We spent a rainy weekend with our daughters in Oklahoma a couple weekends ago and it worked pretty well.

But we do get the "Ozzie and Harriet" comments from people who see the twin beds.
kcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #47
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Ive been to the airstream site numerous times. I've been inside about 100 new ones.
Howdy and welcome to Airforums!

Say, if you have been inside that many trailers, you shoulw be in a position to tell US what the differences are!
Old 04-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1396540834.592042.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	745.9 KB
ID:	208874

We went back and forth about the dinette but decided overall it was best for kids - still - it has it's downsides but overall it is great for the kids

Old 04-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcollins View Post
One more comment on twin beds. I really like the modification Doug and others have done where they replace the dinette with recliners. But our college age daughters still go camping with us so for the moment we need the sleeping space that the sofa/dinette provide. When we are all in the trailer they sit at the table or on the sofa with their laptops or iphones, while we sit on the twin beds in the back. I sit back in the corner with my feet up and a couple pillows behind my back. It's actually pretty comfortable. Some day when it's just the wife and I we may look at doing the recliner mod.

With the twin beds we also have the wrap around windows in front and back so it feels very open and light. We spent a rainy weekend with our daughters in Oklahoma a couple weekends ago and it worked pretty well.

But we do get the "Ozzie and Harriet" comments from people who see the twin beds.

Ricky and Lucy beds...
The twins are a good idea. Easier to walk through, easier to make up, and more storage accessed from outside the trailer.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:20 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
My wife and I have a 3.5 year old son and 16 month old daughter...and a boston terrier...

We spent about 2 years contemplating which model, year, etc...size was the hardest decision, but it became easier once we had settled on the notion of a bunkhouse model.

Its only been since 11/15/13 since we picked up our 2014 FC bunkhouse, and so far we adore it.

It does sacrifice alot for the bunkhouse....but the notion of fiddling with preparing areas for naps and for sleeping as a shared space was less than ideal for us....having said that, we did vacillate a ton over sofa models 27 vs 28 vs. 30 and so on...personal preference cannot be understated I imagine.

For now, we sleep our daughter in pack-n-play - we deploy it and it sits on the dinette after pushing down the table top flush....son prefers the upper bunk. we are now pretty close to done with the pack-n-play and our daughter will sleep on the bottom bed (full size) - this will be entirely hassle free for all naps and putting kids to sleep...leaving the rest of trailer free for us.

Below are a couple links to relevant discussions of bunkhouse vs. others for parents....in reading this thread, I get the sense you will not lean toward a bunk model....but figured I would provide the info in case the idea has not been tossed around.

Good luck!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...se-106222.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f292...lub-29241.html
Funny you said that... we wanted the Bunkhouse from the get go, but were trying to justify getting in a 27FB or a 28 instead. You make a lot of good points about the BH and your preferences are the same as ours. We're tossing around the idea of the BH still but we like the idea an openness of the windows. BH seems to take away from that. Do you know if a BH can have the nightstand option in the bedroom? Or is it the full wardrobe?

On a side note, I heard the 28's dont have the nightstand option from the get go because its already lacking in storage and when they do purchase them with the nightstand option, they go unsold.
jsmith032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #51
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Howdy and welcome to Airforums!

Say, if you have been inside that many trailers, you shoulw be in a position to tell US what the differences are!
Haha, honestly, I probably can now. When I started this thread a couple days ago I was only in a handful, now I can say I've been in almost every model at least 5 times.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Im not sure about swapping the wardrobe for nightsand in the BH model...perhaps doable...maybe...would probably cost a pretty penny to do this mod...others would have to give insight about that..or call JC. I actually would be fascinated by the bunkhouse we have with twin beds and nightstand and retain overhead storage in our unit...this would allow me to go with my brothers and nephews on weekend trips and have more flexible sleeping arrangments...but I digress..

Ironically, we did the very opposite...we started wanting something like a 25 or 28 footer sofa model....but then later discovered BH, spoke with multiple owners and others who had kids in airstreams....we spent several weeks debating how we will use our airstream, the compromise between having the sofa living room area as opposed to easier more permanent sleeping quarters...once we started imagining the routine of prepping for sleep...and including future friends on our adventures...AND for us including some weekend trips my nieces and nephews off and on...the utility of the BH for our needs became more clear...

We started contemplating the utility of a living space within the AS being more open, more window light etc...as opposed to more convenient and more quantity of sleeping quarters and ease of transition...

We plan perhaps in 5-6 years buying a lakefront property to pull the AS to here locally for weekends...and will enjoy having family over in the BH...

I guess if you read my comments, you can see that the utility of the sleeping arrangmements became a greater focus (for us)...that and storage....kids have their own storage in the bunk area for their own stuff...

The compromise though is as you said, you lose some openness...perhaps alot of natural light....lose the bigger couch...but its not a compromise to the point of being cave like by any means....the middle section of the bunkhouse with windows along both sides and with skylight is bright...the smaller 6.5 foot couch is awesome for relaxing, I prop a couple pillows against the wall that seperates that area from the bedroom, very comfortable...Dinette is great for kids to romp around on and watch a movie while we prepar food...

Either way you go, its all good...the choice of which compromise will be yours and both are winners!

I think we just philosophically settled on seeing our AS as a sleeping quarters for primary utility with us and our kids and compromised accordingly...

I still entertain in it...friends come over and we sit out there and drink and shoot the breeze...I have unoficially termed it "the man can" (wife not happy with that as the formal name as it is not gender inclusive enough, lol) - so the layout provides plenty of opportunity to host a few people...

We are (for example) going to be down near Destin FL in a bit more than a month for a full week - our two close friends who do not have kids will probably stop by and stay a couple nights...they will have the bottom bed of the bunk area to themselves....but for the most part while we are all together we will be outside enjoying the outdoors....

Good luck in your search!! No offense, but I am glad I am no longer going back and forth in my head about that subject - I tend to obsess a decision until I finally make it

Old 04-03-2014, 02:07 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Anna , Texas
For families with two young kids I think a bunkhouse is hard to beat. We bought an SOB bunkhouse when our twin daughters were about 4. Each one got a space of their own, and we could put them to bed in that end of the rig without having to put down the dinette, etc. The bunks also make a good place to store things...each had a suitcase that went on the end of their bunk along with their toys, and they made a handy place to put things you want to get out of the way for a bit, like sleeping bags, laundry bags etc..

Once the kids got to be 11-12 years old, the bunks started to be a bit cramped (the top bunk in particular can be claustrophobic), so we moved up to a 5th wheel (but that's another story).
kcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #54
1 Rivet Member

@PharmGeek - I hate you.... Haha... I pretty much had my mind set on a 28' International but now I cant stop thinking about how the 30' BH makes so much more sense, especially after reading your comparisons on the 2 if you have kids (which we do)

Anyone know if they're going to be coming out with an International BH? I like the options the International has over the FC models. What about if ordering the 30' FC BH with the nightstand options? I've only seen them with wardrobes.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:51 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
haha, well I actually do recall feeling very very similar when considering the BH model.

The interior of the BH model (flying cloud) is as you know relatively basic....not the frills of those international models you speak of.

I can only say that after we spent some physical time in both, we really gravitated to the BH, and after all was said and done, my previous affinity and feelings of apprehension melted away to an afterthought.....

But YMMV....and I think a 28 international would definitely get the job done and be an absolute blast...and it looks fantastic.....

Both have compromises involved given the presence of kids...and those considerations...either way you choose, once you choose, you will be happy.

Good luck!

Old 04-06-2014, 08:26 AM   #56
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Hey, how about this: buy a used BH now. Then since AS retain their value so well, when the kids don't want to camp with you guys any more you can flip it for a new International in the right size and shape for your next round of adventures. Meanwhile you save some green today and have what you want the whole time.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
salem , Oregon
We debated 27 vs. 28. I think for storage, the 28 twin is best; but if you want a queen then we went with the 27 and also gained a pantry, microwave and big closet. I like the end tables by the bed rather than closets of the 28 as end tables make the bed area seem more spacious but that is just personal taste. We were upgrading from a 25FC and so decided to go to the 27 International just for a change of looks.

I am surprised at how much more I can fit in the International kitchen slider uppers than in the FC which are about 2" shallower. There are compromises either way since the sliders cabinet bottoms are low I have to stand on a little stool sometimes to see items placed on the base of the uppers whereas the FC cabinets open up bigger for better viewing. I keep a little stool at the base of the pantry for those times I need to see the bottom of the uppers. The wider upper bases allow me to put my dishes flat in those round plastic plate holders from Camping World.

We LOVE the 2014 zip dee auto awning since the frequent blustery spring winds in the Palm Desert area cause us to open and close them often. The ceramic toilet is taller and nicer than the standard FC toilet, but you can upgrade to that in any model. I wasn't sure I would like the roller shades but they have won me over. You can secure them half way down or all the way down and they are more private at night. Wish we had the sofa of the 28 but the lounge works OK for us. I bought a small folding stool by Lafuma that we place in front of the door for the person sitting on the short side of the table to put their feet up on. It doubles as a seat at the end of the table too. Hope this helps. Each model has benefits and compromises so it all depends on what is important to you.
cptfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vashon , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcollins View Post
If you are just comparing the Flying Cloud and International models, I believe they are identical except for the interior decor (take a look at the specifications sheet and you will see they are the same for a given floor plan). I think the International is intended to be a bit more upscale. The Flying Cloud line has a couple of additional floor plans that are not available in the International. The Sport and Classic lines are more differentiated.
But.....watch out for subtle differences. In the 2014
19' Flying Cloud, there is one more cabnet in the rear, over the bed, above the window. And in a small trailer, storage is everything. The International we looked at did not have it which even surprised the salesman.
dprvashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 02:51 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
There is only my wife and myself. Our kids from our first marriages are all chronologically adults with the youngest at 29 and ranging to 44. Only one lives nearby, so we camp alone with no pets to even consider. We started with a 2013 25FB International Serenity with the cross frame modified queen bed. After a couple of trips, we changed our bedroom happiness factor by ordering a Classic 27FB twin bed.

We talked lots more about that back 15 feet being identical between the 25FB and 27FB models in all trim lines in terms of furniture layout, size and comfort. We were not really happy with that back area on the 25FB and decided to change the order to the Classic model 30. The change in base list price ($3,012) was the only penalty for that model on order change.

We are pleased with the final decision for the two of us. We do not plan for any of the adult "kids" to stay in the trailer with us for more than one night. This really is a small space and we like our privacy. All the grandkids are 2,000 miles away, so they do not visit.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:25 AM   #60

Currently Looking...
rice lake , wi
I wish you worked at AIRSTEAM ! You're idea for the ideal 30fb with recliners and separate dinette would be a big hit. At the VERY least, offer the 30 footer with the Front bedroom option.
Kjricci is offline   Reply With Quote