Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2017 30' International
Sun City , Arizona
DC, Maryland, Virginia Airstream Owners

With the relatively recent purchase of Safford RV in Thornburg, VA by a [National RV sales chain] I was wondering about anyone's experience using the *new* service department. I need some minor warranty work done on my Escape Plan and was told, "Call Jackson Center, they'll send you the parts and you can do it yourself." Sure, that's an option I said, but this particular problem is only one of about 3-4 minor issues I wanted addressed before I go out of warranty. The person I talked to said something to the effect that my warranty work could probably be done faster if I tow the Airstream to JC and let the factory work on it since they are extremely busy in Thornbourg and it would by "weeks" before they could get me in for an assessment.

I'm certainly willing to give the gentleman the benefit of the doubt that they are busy, but I was a bit taken aback by his immediate response to just call JC, get the parts and fix it myself, or to tow my rig to JC without even taking the time find out exactly what issues I wanted addressed are. Not really my understanding of how a warranty works.

My questions are, what are your experiences with the new management / service department? Have you had service work done there? Would you return for more work? Would you recommend their service to others?

I'm inclined to tow to JC, but like I said, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. It seems to me they were more interested in selling Airstreams than servicing existing customers. Granted this conversation took place at the Washington-Dulles RV Show even though they weren't *that* busy since I went there early in the morning and went straight to the Airstream booth.

Thanks for your time and non-libelous, unbiased responses.
Escape_Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Just to clarify, did you buy your 2017 30' AS at Safford?

Given that your conversation took place at an RV show, did you follow up and call the service dept. directly, and receive a similar "brush off?"

Thanks
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:22 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2017 30' International
Sun City , Arizona
Yes, and yes. Bought mine at Safford. Followed up with a phone call a week after the RV Show where it was again recommended that I consider towing to JC.
Escape_Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the details. Very disappointing indeed IMO.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:53 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
1991 29' Excella
Chesapeake , Virginia
When they tell you to take it to JC.
That is a “clue” you need to follow up on.
Make a complete list.
E mail to service department at JC
Set date.
Enjoy free stay at terraport.
Enjoy the lore.
Enjoy bicycle museum up the road.
World class service,complete.
IMO

Tom
Muriel 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
I stopped there on my way South to check them out. The comments you relate were similar to what I got when I asked about getting some minor warranty work done. I'd like to love them, proximity is nice, however they are new and untested.

FWIIW You are not that far from Colonial (STELLAR SERVICE) or Out of Doors Mart vs towing to JC. Both are great and I have direct recent experience with both.

BTW - Jump in to the Mid Atlantic conversation ok?
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:35 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2008 28' International CCD
Houston , Texas
Had similar “responsiveness” from Safford.

The crew in JC is phenomenal.
samiam8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:56 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2020 26' Flying Cloud
Belgrade , Montana
Let the buyer beware...

I can't speak to the service department, but the management is another story. My wife and I and a friend were there the day after Thanksgiving and they were not busy at all. They had quite a bit of inventory on the lot including the FC 26RBT (the Airstream formerly known as the "26U"), which was the first time my wife and I were able to have a good look at one. Every unit on the lot was locked, and the sales rep was glad to unlock them as needed, and then lock them back up when we were finished. That's the first time I've experienced that. We spent a good deal of time looking at the 26 as that is our "Dreamstream", and a friend was with us that was curious about a smaller rig. After we looked at a couple more, each time unlocking and then re-locking when we were finished, the general manage came marching out briskly to us asking why we were taking so much time (I believe there was one other customer on the lot). I thought he was joking at first, but he was serious as a heart attack. I told him we wouldn't have been there so long if the units were open and we could freely go in to look at them. His response was a curt "These trailers are expensive, that's why they are locked." We were all shocked to say the least. He could not have been ruder if he had tried. I'm not one to drop $80 or $90K on a trailer without taking my time, but with that we left and I will never go back.
Miss Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:13 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
I can't speak to the service department, but the management is another story. My wife and I and a friend were there the day after Thanksgiving and they were not busy at all. They had quite a bit of inventory on the lot including the FC 26RBT (the Airstream formerly known as the "26U"), which was the first time my wife and I were able to have a good look at one. Every unit on the lot was locked, and the sales rep was glad to unlock them as needed, and then lock them back up when we were finished. That's the first time I've experienced that. We spent a good deal of time looking at the 26 as that is our "Dreamstream", and a friend was with us that was curious about a smaller rig. After we looked at a couple more, each time unlocking and then re-locking when we were finished, the general manage came marching out briskly to us asking why we were taking so much time (I believe there was one other customer on the lot). I thought he was joking at first, but he was serious as a heart attack. I told him we wouldn't have been there so long if the units were open and we could freely go in to look at them. His response was a curt "These trailers are expensive, that's why they are locked." We were all shocked to say the least. He could not have been ruder if he had tried. I'm not one to drop $80 or $90K on a trailer without taking my time, but with that we left and I will never go back.
When the dealership was owned by Safford Group all the trailers were unlocked. Since CW has taken over the dealership everything is locked up. Their service department now has less than a stellar reputation. When Safford owned the dealership they were A+. It is truly sad that a great AS dealer go from 5 stars to the dumps in such a short time. I have called AS to complain because I could get service in a timely manner and my call went to someone's voice mail box and I was never called back and this dates back to the 1st week in January. So assume AS doesn't care about their customers either. There is another thread on this forum that someone else complained that it took 72 days to get their trailer fixed after taking delivery and taking their first voyage. He had to call AS direct to get them to intervene. Hopefully this post will not be censored by the moderators.
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:28 PM   #10
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Airstream Customer Service is usually on an extended Christmas break over the holidays as they are extremely busy during the summer months and have no time for vacations. Try again at 1 (877) 596-6111, option 2.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:49 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Safford

We purchased our 2017 28' Serenity from Safford and had a very different experience. They bent over backwards to ensure we got what we wanted and accommodated our requests. Our delivery was long (my insistence) and they were patient, answered all my questions and made sure we left only after we were fully satisfied with the delivery. I have not had to go back to them for warranty work or anything else for that matter, because I got a very well built AS. I am coming up on my 2 year warranty visit to JC and I am choosing to make the pilgrimage, because I want to see the factory but more than that, because I bought an AS because they back their product with essentially a "well ensure it is the way is was (or should have been) when you bought it warranty. That is pretty cool. Anyway, I would skip Safford and make an appointment with the JC service center. As long as you send them a list of things you need done before your warranty is up they will allow you to bring it in after the 2 year point. Happy "Steaming".
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:52 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
We purchased our 2017 28' Serenity from Safford and had a very different experience. They bent over backwards to ensure we got what we wanted and accommodated our requests. Our delivery was long (my insistence) and they were patient, answered all my questions and made sure we left only after we were fully satisfied with the delivery. I have not had to go back to them for warranty work or anything else for that matter, because I got a very well built AS. I am coming up on my 2 year warranty visit to JC and I am choosing to make the pilgrimage, because I want to see the factory but more than that, because I bought an AS because they back their product with essentially a "well ensure it is the way is was (or should have been) when you bought it warranty. That is pretty cool. Anyway, I would skip Safford and make an appointment with the JC service center. As long as you send them a list of things you need done before your warranty is up they will allow you to bring it in after the 2 year point. Happy "Steaming".
I took delivery of my unit while it was owned by Safford Group, warranty repairs were done under the Camping World banner. I have nothing wrong to say about Safford, this was my 2nd AS purchase from Safford. I do not have the luxury of taking time off from work to travel to Ohio to get my unit repaired by quality personnel. I live 6 miles away from the dealership.
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:54 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Around , Town
Escape Plan,
Had a recent conversation with a MAU (Mid Atlantic Unit) member whom recently bought new and had very similar experience regarding warranty work at Stafford.

If the goal is to have Airstream fix the items no matter what, consider reaching out to Colonial in Lakewood Township, NJ, and see how the response goes. If it works better to pull the trailer to NJ, the bonus is that it is a lot closer than going to the Mothership, it is pretty much flatland all the way, and IIRC three tolls. Going to the Jackson Center has a good number of 5 - 6% grades go to up and down.

Another option to consider is that the DelMarVa, Keystone, and Mid Atlantic units are having a Maintenance Rally in Queenstown, MD, in late April. While not making any promises of any sort, within the realm of possibilities is that if you want to get the parts (and depending on complexity), there are plenty of people around that might lend a helping hand (or at least free advice). Only real challenge with getting work done at a Rally is that the group's primary focus is usually on where they are going to eat next, so distraction is always a risk Bonus is that the previously mentioned Stafford 'Alum' is planning on attending, so at a minimum, y'all can share a beer and commiseration .

Just realized another option that might work in parallel to all of the above. Happen to know a MAU member in VA Beach whom may prove helpful if y'all hit-it-off. PM me if there is interest and will see if I am able to coordinate a meet-and-greet.
JayTheCPA is offline   Reply With Quote