Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2004, 12:54 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

cover ?

i'm looking for a cover for my 24 ft. tradewind.

does anyone have any recommenations on universal fit vs. custom fit?

any thoughts on sunbrella fabric, tyvek or SFS Aqua-Shed fabric?

know of any retailers--i have camping world.

let me know. thanks.

glen
gmprejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 01:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Do you mean like the RV covers they sell for the other camper brands? Don't do it, you mess up the finish something awful. A carport is the acceptable "cover" for an A/S. A fabric cover leaves irremovable black stains on you Airstream.

If you mean awnings, then check out Zipdee.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 03:45 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

thanks john. yes, i meant the RV covers they sell for the other brands. i'm glad i asked--thank you very much.

glen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYRSTRM2
Do you mean like the RV covers they sell for the other camper brands? Don't do it, you mess up the finish something awful. A carport is the acceptable "cover" for an A/S. A fabric cover leaves irremovable black stains on you Airstream.

If you mean awnings, then check out Zipdee.

John
Old 07-26-2004, 03:47 PM   #4
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
Please listen to AYRSTRM2. He speaks the truth. A fitted fabric cover is just about the worst thing you can do to your finish. In no time at all (a day or two), the slight movement of the fabric by the wind will abrade the plasticoat finish and dark grey marks will appear which can't be removed without removing the plasticoat finish, polishing out the marks and the rest of the affected panel, and replasticoating. Though it can be done, it is almost impossible to remove the plasticoat in just the affected area without the remover running down on other panels and removing the coating on panels below which perhaps were not affected. If it does, then those panels must be reconditioned as well. Removal of the plasticoat, polishing and recoating is a VERY expensive proposition approaching $150 per linear foot of trailer, perhaps more.

Put it under a carport, in a warehouse, or a barn. Leave the RV covers alone.
GStephens
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 04:07 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

thank you! i'll trust you and AYRSTRM2 for sure. not sure that my 1960 has plasticoat, but i will take the advice given. thanks again.

glen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStephens
Please listen to AYRSTRM2. He speaks the truth. A fitted fabric cover is just about the worst thing you can do to your finish. In no time at all (a day or two), the slight movement of the fabric by the wind will abrade the plasticoat finish and dark grey marks will appear which can't be removed without removing the plasticoat finish, polishing out the marks and the rest of the affected panel, and replasticoating. Though it can be done, it is almost impossible to remove the plasticoat in just the affected area without the remover running down on other panels and removing the coating on panels below which perhaps were not affected. If it does, then those panels must be reconditioned as well. Removal of the plasticoat, polishing and recoating is a VERY expensive proposition approaching $150 per linear foot of trailer, perhaps more.

Put it under a carport, in a warehouse, or a barn. Leave the RV covers alone.
GStephens
Old 07-26-2004, 04:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Related question

The place I keep my trailer is inside a large barn. The owners laid a plastic tarp on top of my trailer just to keep the bird droppings off since they nest in the rafters. Should I have them NOT do that? It hangs about a foot over each side from the roof line. Wouldn't the bird droppings be worse?

Thanks,

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 05:00 PM   #7
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
A tarp covering the unit is not a problem as long as it doesn't move. The movement of the tarp will grind grit into the skin. IF the barn is fairly airtight you should be OK, I would use a canvas tarp vs. a blue plastic one. Or if possible could the tarp be suspended over the trailer just a bit higher than the top of the trailer?
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 05:17 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
A tarp covering the unit is not a problem as long as it doesn't move. The movement of the tarp will grind grit into the skin. IF the barn is fairly airtight you should be OK, I would use a canvas tarp vs. a blue plastic one. Or if possible could the tarp be suspended over the trailer just a bit higher than the top of the trailer?
That might be an option. They're very cooperative. They do use some lightweight strips of cello-tex to keep the tarp from moving.

Thanks,

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote