Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2003, 09:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to treadsowell
Question Companies shipping Vintage Airstreams to Japan

Has anyone heard of companies on the west coast buying older A/S from all over the country, having them towed to the west coast then shipped to Japan? I've heard they use them in mountain resorts as "hotel rooms" and just park them. I'd be interested in talking to anyone who knows more about this. Someone contacted me about the 1971 Overlander I'm selling regarding this.

karen.treadwell@att.net
treadsowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2003, 11:09 PM   #2
qqq
4 Rivet Member

I witnessed organised gangs of Japanese buyers with cash in their briefcase buying loads of custom and a older cars from each Pomona (California) car show I attended. I wouldn't be surpised if they did the same with AS's
They are known to do that in Europe with the Austin Mini (car) & the Vespa (scooter)

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 07:47 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

be careful

I have read that there are some scams where you are offered tempting offers and then asked for your personal bank routing and account numbers or given cashiers checks that were not good....I have not heard of any from Japan but they are usually overseas....be careful...lol...jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 09:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: be careful

Quote:
Originally posted by zduke4x
I have read that there are some scams where you are offered tempting offers and then asked for your personal bank routing and account numbers or given cashiers checks that were not good....I have not heard of any from Japan but they are usually overseas....be careful...lol...jem
I have had somebody try to pull this one on me when I was selling a car.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2003, 10:42 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

I don't read Japanese but .....

http://www.airstreamcafe.jp/

DMC
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 07:28 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to treadsowell
Japan Post on For Sale & Wanted Forum

Now I see this guy is advertising in 'Forums > Airstream Marketplace > For Sale & Wanted Forum'
The user name is Norris. He says he need lots of Airstreams (1965 - 1980) for Japan. Prefers the west coast unless you are willing to pay shipping. Guess he won't want my airstream since it would be about $4,000 to ship it to the west coast!
treadsowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 07:59 AM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
A sad time

I'm afraid that Airstreams may go the way of light airplanes. When I was in England, a co-worker took me flying. Behind a hanger was a long line of Luscombe airplanes that had been bought up in the US and shipped to England for refurbishment. From there, they are sold all over Europe.

I think this trend if a result of our balance of trade deficit and a lot more of our prized possessions will end up overseas before it is all over.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 08:39 AM   #8
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
The same thing happened with vintage motorcycles back in the 80s. The Japanese came over and bought up a bunch of beauties ...never to be seen here again.

Works both ways though ... Hearst plundered Europe of its treasures after WWI ... now you can see them at Hearst Castle.
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 01:02 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Loss of an Icon?

Planes, Motorcycles, Boats, Classic cars, guess the trailers are the last frontier. Kind of like selling our heritage in a way...I realize it's a free country and money talks, but I hate seeing it happen because that stuff NEVER comes back here. It's lost for good. Just my 2 cents...
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 01:07 PM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Add banjos to that

Some few years ago, a millionaire Japanese bought up hundreds and hundreds of classic banjos and took them to Japan. These are some of the top instruments ever made. His empire has since crumbled, but the banjos will never return here. They also will probably neer be played again.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 01:57 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
American Icon

Hi All,
I for one would not sell my Safari to this person for ten times its worth, if I was aware of his intention to send it to Japan. I also hope that as far as the members of this fine forum are concerned, he is "BARKING UP THE WRONG TREE".
I just felt very strongly compelled to respond to this topic when I read his posting.
That's my two cents.
Thank You,
Silverhawk, Bob
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 03:53 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I'll sell him my 31' for $20,000, and I'll even deliver it to the Left Coast for $4,000.

Of course, I know they'd never go for it. They are looking for suckers.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 11:02 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

I think the whole reason Japanese want Airstreams is not just because they are awesome but because they love the Americana of them. I think we can all agree Americans feel the same way. Spreading the love isn't bad. In addition, whoever posted that they would never sell their unit if it went to Japan needs to wake up, if whoever you sell to protects it and loves it and shares the joy of Airstream do you really care if they are Japanese!
roadtripjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 11:40 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1986 31' Sovereign
Lenox , Georgia
I'm not interested in selling my Airstream.....

however, I can't imagine so many of them going to Japan that they become non-existent in the U.S. If, on the other hand, I am wrong, won't that just make the ones we own all the more unique and valuable, both as possessions as well as American classics? One man's thoughts...........
joe hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 12:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
In Responce

The man has money signs danceing around inside of his head. that seemed very clear to me. Let him go out and find a bunch of basket cases setting in weed fields somewhere,and fix them up.
The smile that comes to my mug when I see an obviously well cared for and restored vintage coach is worth a million bucks. I want those units traveling the roads of this great land where we can see and enjoy them.
As far as wakeing up, I am never more awake than when I am able to see these units on any given day, here.
This is only my opinion, I realize that, But it is a strong one.
I did like the thought of giveing this business to the company though. These units can be reprodused in whatever size and number this person wishes. The vintage Airstreams are a finite treasure that I hope can stay here.
Thanks, Bob
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 01:20 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Japan airstream

Looking at the photos on

http://www.airstreamcafe.jp/new%20al...ew%20pict.html

I can see appreciation of airstreams is worldwide. Considering the trips Wally took, I am sure he would appreciate it.

I own Japanese art, antiques and cars. I also own German, English, French, Mexican, American Indian, Chinese, Indian, Thai, Russian, African, and Australian items. What a wonderful world we live in that we can share our art, culture and hobbies, and most of all American know how.
Repodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 05:02 PM   #17
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Great link, Repodog!
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 05:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
If I owned a trailer, I would not mind selling to whomever was willing to pay my exaggerated asking price for it.
Gosh, maybe someone should tell them that these units have no radiation shielding. Sorry...the current generation should not be categorized with the older.
I understand the point made about not seeing these A/S's stateside and wanting to keep them US. But money talks, bs walks, as in any business, and we must be good stewards of our God given investments and finances.
Besides, we are all brothers and sisters in this world, and if you ever want to see your old airstream again, Tokyo is a GREAT town! It would be a good excuse to travel. Just don't eat the blowfish
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 08:20 AM   #19
pezz

1982 34' Limited
mire poix , midi pyrenees
BYE BYE AIRSTREAMS

Very interesting thread.

Well , yes, I know how some of you must feel, let start at the first questions.
There is for sure a few bad guys outhere, but lets not start a paranoia about exporting Airstreams, because it's only a very small majority.
I'm myself know lots of good people who import Airstreams, I'm one of them.
But I'm not a bisnessman, I love Airstreams and like giving people the experience of Airstreaming here in Europe, that's why I decided to make a campsite of Airstreams in France, the only one in Europe.
We talk about Airstream all the time and the people really like the USA style.
So we are hoping to have rallyes and things like you have.
Wally would be proud I hope.
But I do agree about big rich bisnessman buying lots and we never see them again....
But all the Airstreams I have bought are still very much in the Airstream world.
Bye for now
PERRY