Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Community

Did not really know the best place to put this, but here goes.
We are so happy that we decided to by our AS. Spent many many months looking. Brands, styles, prices the whole enchilada... Joined or lurked on several brand "Community" sites read and read and read and then read some more. Researched over and over and then more.
My lovely wife and I are in our mid 50's. All of our kids are out of the house now, the last one will be married next week and will graduate from UT this Fall. We have been blessed with a successful business for most of 20 years. She does triathlons, ironman's, and all. I love to Flyfish. Had always since childhood had tent camped we have been everywhere in the western USA and Canada. We wanted to make this part of our lives a little easier.
Back to the point:
In all the reading/researching we decided on a vintage AS as our new project. No one in their right mind would buy a vinatage "white box" from 1975 but after reading "a 63 for me" and many others, then finding our 75 in such great shape we dove in head first. We could have spent money on new, but it would not be something that you could make your own. You would just put your stuff in and wish that the cabinet door opened the other way, or the drapes aren't what I would have wanted, or the mattress is too spongy, a million other things... Debt was another factor. Cheaper to pay as you go...
Read the thread about the guy who wants the "perfect" AS so he doesn't have to be bothered about anything going wrong. Hope he finds it, but this is life and ain't gonna happen... Wish him well in his search.
Sex in an Airstream, great thread!!!
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Welcome to the Community
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have done your research and have made the decision to join this great group of fellow AS owners. Lots of experience here for you to draw on during your project and beyond. We are sure you will have lots of fun and adventures with your AS.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

El Cerrito , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
Read the thread about the guy who wants the "perfect" AS so he doesn't have to be bothered about anything going wrong. Hope he finds it, but this is life and ain't gonna happen... Wish him well in his search.
Sex in an Airstream, great thread!!!
Hey Big C Hello!

I think you might be referring to my post, I really do get what you are saying. I am an engineer, and I live by the following... "In theory practice and theory are the same, in practice they are completely different".

I just want to clarify that I understand things break, need work, and are not perfect.

What my post is conveying is that I question Airstream's current Quality Assurance. An example is (IMHO) a new Airstream should not leak, period. "Not leaking" is a solved problem with proper design and QA. AS seems to me to have a great design, so if it is new and leaks, then something was missed (or skipped) at the factory.

I saw one post where a leak test was being performed on an AS at the factory after having fixed issues with leaking b/c of AS builder error. The "leak tester" seemed to be a couple of hoses attached to a contraption spraying water on the top of the AS. IMHO, that is not a valid test.

I am not looking for perfection, I am looking for quality.
bycrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bycrom View Post
Hey Big C Hello!

I think you might be referring to my post, I really do get what you are saying. I am an engineer, and I live by the following... "In theory practice and theory are the same, in practice they are completely different".

I just want to clarify that I understand things break, need work, and are not perfect.

What my post is conveying is that I question Airstream's current Quality Assurance. An example is (IMHO) a new Airstream should not leak, period. "Not leaking" is a solved problem with proper design and QA. AS seems to me to have a great design, so if it is new and leaks, then something was missed (or skipped) at the factory.

I saw one post where a leak test was being performed on an AS at the factory after having fixed issues with leaking b/c of AS builder error. The "leak tester" seemed to be a couple of hoses attached to a contraption spraying water on the top of the AS. IMHO, that is not a valid test.

I am not looking for perfection, I am looking for quality.
Hi!
Yes I was. No offence intended in any way. Please forgive me if my post was somewhat intense in defense of Airstream.
We could have purchased a new AS. Quality, dependability vs the white box the whole this vs that argument/debate. Read many many way too many posts/arguments/threads from many groups.
We weren't looking for perfection either. Owning a business and making it work for most of 20 years you think that you have arrived at perfection but then in the next 5 minutes you are humbled once again...
In that vein of thought...
We decided to buy AS. There is not 1 company out there that has a history like AS. Yes there are "issues" with every company, but long run has a history and there are periods of every company where they think they have achieved "perfection" only to realize that they did not.
Quality, that is the conundrum.
Since AS has such a long history of periods of quality. Airstream owners would and do debate which periods are better than others, but that is up to your research if you do buy one.
Our purchase was a choice. Our 75 Sovereign was locally owned thru its life. Spent most of its time immobile as a lake 2nd home. every owner "cared" for her. Each owner realized the quality of a hand made item made in the USA.
Our Sovereign sold for over 12 grand back in 75 dollars.
When you purchase your, what would be your 2nd home, you want it to be as if you had never left but are in another place. Even better you can go from place to place. It's like if you had a 2nd home wherever you want to go with no property taxes.
We work hard, just as you do. Wasted time is wasted time at work, not when you are camping. You are doing this as a pleasure of your hard work so we make our own "quality time". Perfection we leave behind...
One our maiden voyage in our 75 it rained cats and dogs for 4 hours. we had 1 leak in the back window. The seals are original to 75. No problem, I can replace/fix. Our neighbors next to us in the camp had a leak also. Their white box was is 7 years old...
We look forward to our adventures in our new project.
As in your original post. Your issue is time, quality and value for your money for a new AS.
Quality
Be sure to call Airstream as recommended for your quality issues. We went thru this with several manufacturers. Some were helpful some not.
Value
This is what you put on any purchase.
Time
This is what you are getting away from.
For us, we wanted to buy quality for the value of our time. Time for us is another thing we can turn into quality of life. The value is priceless!!!
We wish you well on your search!
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

El Cerrito , California
Quote:
Hi!
Yes I was. No offence intended in any way.
Abolutely none taken, being new I just wanted to make sure my post intent was clear, thanks!

Quote:
Quality
Be sure to call Airstream as recommended for your quality issues. We went thru this with several manufacturers. Some were helpful some not.
Value
This is what you put on any purchase.
Time
This is what you are getting away from.
For us, we wanted to buy quality for the value of our time. Time for us is another thing we can turn into quality of life. The value is priceless!!!
We wish you well on your search!
Very, very, well said...
bycrom is offline   Reply With Quote