Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-31-2017, 09:37 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
375 degree water..
I use my NuWave induction burner set at that temp rather than a lower temp
It Will boil away quickly but it does also get a lot hotter while it does. Must use a whistling kettle or risk steam cleaning the whole interior too!
Old 07-31-2017, 09:48 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Julie View Post
. . .
How does a newbie find the threads you posted that have this information using the search function?
. . .
Sorry Joe, my "Talk" comment was meant as a reply to uncle bob's light-hearted jest in Post #18, and not directed at you. Folks here sometimes exchange comments intended as jokes, but unfortunately that is not always apparent. Similarly sarcasm's true intent is often lost in the written words here.

The old search function here got a bad rap because it did not work that well, so folks still complain about searching here, but IMO the new search function in the blue box above works great!

And as I have said, when the new Google-powered search results come up, you can adjust the search terms to get more specificity, and thus better results.

Most of the threads for "coffee" are in the Stella's Kitchen sub-forum, which you will see if you look up at the top left for the blue organization structure of any current location. [with the blue ">" symbols separating the various levels of the hierarchy]

For instance, right now, we are in the "Our Community" forum.

If you open up this French Press thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ss-168147.html

you will see at the top left that "Stella's Kitchen" is the sub-forum, and if you click on that heading up there, you will end up here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/

. . . where the list of topics includes many coffee threads on the many pages available. Once you get used to it things get simpler. BTW this site navigation is easier using a computer with a screen, keyboard and mouse IMO. The smaller your Internet device, the more difficult it is.

Apologies for any ruffled feathers.

Peter

PS -- No harm in multiple threads, as such, I guess, but I think my earlier comments cover the benefits -- IMO -- of having people stick to one thread. No need to belabor.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:04 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
375 degree water..
It Will boil away quickly but it does also get a lot hotter while it does. Must use a whistling kettle or risk steam cleaning the whole interior too!
Your induction burner may get to 375, but water never gets above 212.

Never.

At 212 the water goes through a change of state, and becomes a gas -- water vapor which we call steam. If you put the steam in a pressure chamber, it is possible to get it very hot indeed, but you can't pour that as a liquid.

An espresso machine generates steam which is probably hotter than 212 which may be why coffee made that way tastes differently.

The apparent confirmation that your technique of "hotter water" produces better coffee may be an example of some kind of confirmation bias, or some such deal . . . [IMO]

Old 07-31-2017, 10:11 AM   #44
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
The experts seem to recommend a bit hotter temps: 185-205. My local coffee guru shop in Seattle says above 200 but not by much, and don't let the grinds soak too long.

http://www.ncausa.org/About-Coffee/How-to-Brew-Coffee
Hi

This is one of those Europe vs US things. In Europe the magic number is indeed 185 (or lower). The US likes coffee hotter and a bit more bitter.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:19 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
. . .
If you think the "talk don't look" thing is fun here .... checkout a Facebook support group .... yikes !!!

Bob
Which is one reason I never joined Fa(r)ceBook !!!

Old 07-31-2017, 01:59 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
There are more threads with people complaining about how many threads there are than the subject at hand.
I guess unless someone asks about 1. Tires, 2. Tow vehicles or 3. Hitches the subject is not deemed worthy.

Personally I like them all, and if I don't I won't read it.
Carry on.
Thank you X10000. YES! I cannot tell you how unwelcome and discourteous it feels to read the words "There's a ton of threads on this already. Use the search engine" that have been barked back at me for asking a simple question about Airstreams or camping (isn't that what this site is for?)

My goodness. I do use the search engine and either the replies to the subject were so outdated or irrelevant, I asked as a brand new thread hoping for newer and better responses (which happened yea!). It is possible to skip threads one feels has been asked before.
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:46 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

This is one of those Europe vs US things. In Europe the magic number is indeed 185 (or lower). The US likes coffee hotter and a bit more bitter.

Bob
Rather general statement. Not this "US". I like my coffee smooth and aromatic.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:24 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene3 View Post
We are really happy with the Nespresso system. They make a mini version that is perfect for the counter space in our 25FB. Its also very stowable
We also like Nespresso. We have a Nespresso Pixie in the trailer that makes a great cup of coffee or espresso with easy cleanup. It works fine off our batteries when boondocking. We also carry a Melita pour over with filters in case of no electricity. With the right coffee and water it also makes a great cup. Mike
2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II #135
2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7
MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:22 AM   #49
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Rather general statement. Not this "US". I like my coffee smooth and aromatic.
Hi

I'm very much with you on that part !!! I've even gone as far as looking into importing European parts for coffee machines to get the temperature down. Each time I go through the process I get a "... but nobody in the US likes coffee that way ..." at some point.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
SoCal , California
We bought one of the pour over filter holders that use the small #2 filter. I can't imagine it getting easier to clean than that.

We'll give it a shot.
Joe_Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 11:45 PM   #51
ntsbltsrvits

2015 27' FB International
2016 30' International
Eagle , Idaho
Great cup and less mess...

I've been in the coffee business for the last 15 or so years so I take my coffee seriously, as most people do. It's almost a personal thing.
I've used and sold many methods of brewing, including Keurig, about 15 years ago.
For coffee ☕️ in the trailer, I wanted a quality cup with easy clean-up. I didn't want to use up my fresh water or fill up my gray tank. French press was too messy and I don't really like the solids in my coffee.
So...I now use a Clever brewer. It works like a French press with the mess staying within a #4 filter inside of it. You can check it out on Amazon.
It looks like a large Mellita pour over. The Melita is my second choice. Simple and clean.
I do need to try the Aeropress.
Cowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:04 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Doug and I determined years ago that the very best coffee was made with a percolator, and have carried on the road a good, stainless steel, stove-top unit...primarily used when boondocking or dry camping, perked 12 minutes. Yum.

Its downside is the length of time from turning on the flame to enjoying a cup, but the aroma of the percolating coffee mitigates the delay.

Maggie
Old 08-02-2017, 04:25 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
. . .
...I now use a Clever brewer. It works like a French press with the mess staying within a #4 filter inside of it. You can check it out on Amazon.
. . .
Thanks. Is this the one?

https://www.amazon.com/Clever-Coffee...+coffee+brewer
Old 08-02-2017, 07:13 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Bialetti stainless stove top Mocha pot, home roasted beans from Sweet Maria, Berkey filtered water...perfect.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:21 PM   #55
ntsbltsrvits

2015 27' FB International
2016 30' International
Eagle , Idaho
Yes! That's it. Coffee grind size is critical as well as the brewing method. You can start with a percolator grind size and see if you like it. Then go finer if you like.
Cowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:20 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks, does the shut-off device work pretty well, so that the cone does not drip as you move it from mug to mug?
Old 08-03-2017, 01:47 PM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
water at 375 degrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
375 degree water..

Foiled Again, Here is why the water seems hotter to you.

1. It takes 100 calories/ gram to go from water at 0 degrees C to water at 100 degrees C

2. It takes 540 calories/gram to go from 100 degrees water to 100 degrees steam!!

3. That's why the "water" seems so much hotter to you. It changed into steam. That is over 5 times the heat compared to the water at the same temperature! A steam burn is much worse than a hot water burn.

wolf146
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
An espresso machine generates steam which is probably hotter than 212 which may be why coffee made that way tastes differently.

The apparent confirmation that your technique of "hotter water" produces better coffee may be an example of some kind of confirmation bias, or some such deal . . . [IMO]
While an espresso machine produces steam, it doesn't use steam to produce espresso. Steam is used to steam milk, some machines may pump water through that boiler to help heat it as the boiler is under pressure and has a lot of energy "stored" that can transfer to water being pumped through it.

Espresso is so different from other forms of coffee for these reasons:
  • Very finely ground coffee beans
  • Grounds are compacted tightly
  • Water is pumped by force through the grounds at 9-bar (~130psi)
  • "Extraction" is completed in 25 seconds or less

Those are the attributes that drive espresso to be different. The water used for espresso is targeted for 185-195 degrees when it *hits* the grounds in the portafilter. If the water is too hot it will be too acidic and not something you want to drink, if it is too cool it won't extract enough oils in the 25-second or less extraction window....if you extract for longer than 25-seconds you get nasty flavor profile due to over-extracting.

The lowest water consuming way to produce coffee and to cleanup, while also coming as close to espresso flavor profile as possible is with an Aeropress as others mention. It can be used with zero wasted water, the water is pressed out of the coffee beans so no waste (also reducing weight in the waste bin), and the device can be "cleaned" with zero water as the plunger is self-cleaning of the tube.

The coffee produced by an Aeropress is far more concentrated than that of other methods, other than espresso and perhaps toddy cold brew, so you can dilute it...I love my Aeropress for iced coffees, but you can also add it to hot cocoa to have a "mocha", etc. At home I generally use an espresso machine, the French press is too much work to clean. I do break out the Aeropress or pour over (Chemex or V60 cone) frequently though...which are both really great options for camping in general.

--resident coffee snob, future AS owner
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:21 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the clarifications.

Peter
Old 08-04-2017, 05:27 AM   #60
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic