Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2017, 11:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
SoCal , California
Coffee Press - Percolator or ??

We use a percolator for coffee and really like it with the exception of clean up. Lots of pieces to clean and when boon docking takes additional water to clean to get all the grounds out of basket, etc.

We've used presses before and like them as well, but again clean up can be a bit of an issue, but better than a percolator. The downside on the press you I have not found one you can use the press directly on the stove, you heat the water in a separate pot then poor into press.

Does anyone know of a press you can put right on the burner of the stove?

We want something that can be used boon docking without power and that can make at least 6-8 cups.

What else is everyone using?

Thanks!
Joe_Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:51 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Doesn't quite fit your bill but thought worth mentioning that Aeropress makes a ridiculously good cup of coffee for camping. Single serving cups but after trying every other method we switched for good and LOVE it.
righttoroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
There are long threads already on various coffee-makers in the Stella's Kitchen forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/

. . . including these:

Best: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...er-132587.html
French Press: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ss-168147.html
Keurig: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/keurig-167913.html

The first thread linked above has over 100 posts, and lots of discussion about techniques which work while boondocking without electrical power.

We boil water in a tea kettle, and use a Melita drip filter over either a cup or a carafe for larger quantities.

Keep It Simple . . .

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Been using the AeroPress the last few weeks. With quality beans it makes an excellent cup of coffee. Next best thing to espresso I have found. I use the metal filter with an espresso burr grind.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
We also boil water in a small teapot on the stove.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
We use a percolator with a Melita wrap filter in the basket to reduce cleanup.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I had a French press, but when it broke I chose to replace it with the Melitta pour over. EASY! Good fresh beans make a huge difference but good water is even more important. ESPRESSO intensity? Very hot water 375 F. Do not spill that one on your lap.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I had a French press, but when it broke I chose to replace it with the Melitta pour over. EASY! Good fresh beans make a huge difference but good water is even more important. ESPRESSO intensity? Very hot water 375 F. Do not spill that one on your lap.
How do you manage 375-degree water? Pressurized environment? It should vaporize over 212 at STP.

I too broke my original (glass) coffee press in the trailer... I carried my dirty dishes in a bin on the floor of the shower and one trip forgot to secure the showerhead, which came off the hook and fell on the Bodum. I replaced it with a stainless-steel vacuum-insulated french press that's better in every way than the glass ones (at least every objective way). I think they've discontinued my exact model but they (and their competitors) still make functionally similar ones. It's extra nice that it keeps the coffee hot MUCH longer than the glass ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bodum_press.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	290877  

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:55 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2022 30' International
Del Mar , California
Nespresso

We are really happy with the Nespresso system. They make a mini version that is perfect for the counter space in our 25FB. Its also very stowable
gene3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:57 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
We have had all different kinds of coffee pots...well, I actually think we've had EVERY kind of coffee maker and/or pot. Our favorite coffee ever is made in our blue speckled Coleman coffee pot on the stove. Old school, I know, and all of them to me seem to require the same amount of cleaning. I guess you could get a Keurig, but I never really liked ours and they sure don't last very long and you're committed to electricity on that as well.

We just love our Coleman and I dump and wipe out the grinds with a paper towel and then wash. Always looks brand new.
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 12:59 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Quartz Hill , California
This is what I use on the road. Heat water in teapot, pour it through and that's it.
Throw out cone filter and grounds, rinse pot with a little water.

https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Cone-...ur%2Bover&th=1
greenflag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:02 PM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Melita with a stainless steel "thermal" carafe underneath it. Near boiling water and fresh ground beans go in. Coffee will stay nice and hot for hours ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
We use a paper filter drip electric coffee maker at home bring it when we travel. It allows us to plug in and brew when at an electric campsite just like at home. When dry camping we set it up the same, but dump the carafe of water into a cook pot, put the pot on the galley stove, flip open the lid on the top of the coffee maker and dump the boiling water over the waiting ground coffee.

We had a prized Meilita 10 cup for years but had to put her down owing to "plumbing problems". Now we have a black and decker 12 cup (we drink coffee for hours in the morning) that's pretty good too. Plus I think it turns into a table saw or something... never got that feature to work though. Get the kind with a lid that flips up to expose the coffee and filter basket, not the kind with the filter basket holder that swings out (rhymes with Mr. Toffee) so you can access the coffee for the "dry camping pour through" method.

As for a coffee press... ixnay on the esspray. We tried that on our first long trip. Have you ever tried to clean one of those things? It takes large amounts of water (which can become a precious commodity when dry camping) and no matter how hard you try, some grounds go down the drain (I could loose sleep thinking about coffee grounds clogging my waste water drains). The paper filter types have neither of these problems.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:33 PM   #14

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Cleaning the press can be done without gallons of water. I have in fact cleaned my press more times than I could accurately count. I pour the last stupid of liquid out, empty the damp grounds into the trash, wipe the inside with a paper towel or napkin (preferably 2nd use for a towel I started with another cleanup) then it doesn't take much water to rinse the filter-screen and clean the press.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
According to the Aeropress experts 185 F is the perfect water temp for brewing good coffee. Any hotter and you risk having high acids being released.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 01:43 PM   #16
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Aeropress

Quote:
Originally Posted by righttoroam View Post
Doesn't quite fit your bill but thought worth mentioning that Aeropress makes a ridiculously good cup of coffee for camping. Single serving cups but after trying every other method we switched for good and LOVE it.
I can make up to four cups of coffee at one pressing. Of course it is harder to press than a single cup. I just put the Aeropress on top of a two cup straight sided measuring cup (from IKEA). After pressing add additional 185 °F water to fill to the two cup measure and then pour equal amounts into cups, then add additional water to taste for an Americano style coffee. For eight cups I would do two pressings in a row into the measuring cup, pour out as much concentrate as I needed and add hot water for the Americano. Keep the concentrate warm in a thermos for more coffee later and add hot water to taste.
Old 07-30-2017, 01:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Just a reminder that there is tons of previous discussion about all of this on the threads linked in Post #3:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
There are long threads already on various coffee-makers in the Stella's Kitchen forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/

. . . including these:

Best: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...er-132587.html
French Press: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ss-168147.html
Keurig: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484/keurig-167913.html

The first thread linked above has over 100 posts, and lots of discussion about techniques which work while boondocking without electrical power.

We boil water in a tea kettle, and use a Melita drip filter over either a cup or a carafe for larger quantities.

Keep It Simple . . .

Good luck!

Peter
Old 07-30-2017, 01:56 PM   #18
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Just a reminder that there is tons of previous discussion about all of this on the threads linked in Post #3:
Hi

......But we have *so* much fun repeating ourselves

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:21 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Bettendorf , Iowa
Options

We use a stainless steel press. I roast my own beans! I buy beans in bulk, then roast them! Best way to make coffee! Water quality on the road can be an issue!
For quick coffee, we also have the small Nespresso! Easy to get your fix and go!
DavidIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 02:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

......But we have *so* much fun repeating ourselves

Bob
Exactly.

The worst part of this new Internet-by-phone age, is that very few folks ever read the beginning of thread, let alone several pages of a long thread.

They mostly look over on the right for recent discussions, then hit Reply, and start TALKING!

"When in doubt, TALK!"