Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2004, 08:19 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
Classic 25 Bathroom Accomodations

In my continuing quest for the holy grail (perfect AS to buy), I was wondering if you Classic 25 owners find the bathroom facilities O.K., or, are you always beating yourselves up for not going to the Classic 28?

Thanks.
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 08:44 AM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Adequate, just

The bathroom is tight, but adequate for our use. The shower is plenty roomy, but the door opening is tight because of the roll-up shower curtain takes away about 4" from the door width; I have to slip into the shower sideways. I usually dress in the bedroom since there is limited elbow room in the bathroom.

If I were to go to a 28', I would choose the closed bathroom option since I don't much care for the walk-through bathroom.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 09:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
We had the dealer remove the shower "door" and got those 4" back. Brenda hung a shower curtain.

I took out the soap dish...had no holes for drainage...and put one on the side with suction cups--it's the open wire grid type. Brenda put blue fish up to cover the holes.....the kind that are meant to go on the floor of the shower to keep you from sliding.

Why is "the throne" as high as it is?

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 09:13 AM   #4
Contributing Member

Some modifications

I'm toying with removing the shower door and putting in a curtain, but I can live with it as is. We keep the cat box in the shower and the door makes it hard to get in and out without spilling. The self-squeegeing (sp) door is a nice idea, it just subtracts a bit too much width from the door opening.

I replaced all of the soap dishes and the toothbrush holder in and out of the shower with some real nice ceramic items from Lowe's. The ones Airstream put in were terribly tinny and cheap looking. I also put a white towel bar and a washcloth ring in the shower; I think the 2004s have a towel bar in the shower, but mine did not.

I'm not sure why the throne is on a step, but I like the resulting height.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-27-2004, 09:30 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
Height is good ... being right handed, is there plenty of room on the right side of the throne for conducting business ?
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 09:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
I took out the rolling door too on my Safari 25'. Way too tight and kept knocking out of place. Curtain worked great. Bathroom is tight if you have to close the door.

I disagree Pahaska, I LOVE the walk through bathroom, which I now have. It is so roomy.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 10:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
There is plenty of room for business but for drying off after showering there is not much room for "towel work".

There are not enough towel bars, actually in any RV we have had, and the Airstream is short on the longer kind.....of course where is the wall to put more, even one?

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 12:39 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by Kistler
There are not enough towel bars, actually in any RV we have had, and the Airstream is short on the longer kind.....of course where is the wall to put more, even one?
Kistler
Our Safari had no towel bar in the shower. We used those snap on suction hooks. They grab onto the shower walls with a mighty grip and will hold heavy wet towels, swimming suits etc. Now you do have to pull out the things hanging, to shower but overall we find them excellent for hanging things.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 06:50 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
In our '99 25' Safari we added a towel bar on the left side of the toilet. Wish we had room for more but we do use those suction hooks in the shower stall that work OK.
Kathy
SC Coastal Unit
TAC-SC5
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 06:56 PM   #10
Rivet Master

One of the few adaptations retained from previous owners is a towel bar in the shower that folds down flat against the wall. Once raised, it has three bars. It actually is pretty slick.

We don't leave towels in there while showering - although with the telephone shower head I suppose one could. We use it to hang up wet towels. It is conveniently out of the way.

I have often wondered what an open bath as in the current 28' would be like in the 25'.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 07:50 PM   #11
Contributing Member

My objections to the open bath are several:
1. I don't like to look at a commode from the lounge or galley.
2. My wife spends an eternity behind closed bathroom door getting her face on, etc. In an open bath that would entirely tie up access to and from the bedroom.
3. We keep the cat box in the shower. With the sliding door on the closed bath and the door on the shower open, the box is out of sight and seldom unavailable to the cats. A swinging shower door presents a problem for us.
4. Bathroom sounds and/or odors are more easily localized with a closed bath.

I wouldn't mind the 28' with the closed bathroom and the shower across the hall so that the area can be closed off only for the short periods that one of us is showering. I would have to replace the swinging shower door, though for access to the cat box.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-27-2004, 08:41 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
While we have an 02 Bambi & not one of the bigger ones, our "throne is also set some what high above the floor level. In researching why I found that the Black water tank is directly below the stool & the the portion above the floor level on which our stool sets is actually the top of the Black water tank. By removing the shelf below the bath sink I was able to physically see the end of the Black water tank. It is set this way I believe for several reasons, one being the area below the sink is open for heat will keep the tank from freezing when using the unit in cold weather. Our Grey water tank is the one that has the ducted heat when the furnace is running. Your set up is perhaps for the same reasons. It is a difficult set --to say the least--for short people.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 09:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

"I wouldn't mind the 28' with the closed bathroom and the shower across the hall"

That is the arrangement I was thinking of. I am not sure it would work in a 25', but it might be great.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote