Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2005, 01:14 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
choices for a small trailer with a dinette?

hi all,

i've been perusing the forum for several days now. very helpful people and tons of info. i'm looking into a smaller trailer <22' (me and everyone else) and a project as i'd be wanting to completely redo the interior. i've been looking at the older bambi, caravel, globetrotter, and safari.

what are my choices and style (think 50's to 70's, i was born in '71 and would love to find a '71, there's one on ebay right now) for a small trailer WITH a dinette? i suppose since i'd be completely redoing the interior i could add one in, but i'd prefer to maintain the original layout.

any help is greatly appreciated,

thanks,

david
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
hi all,

i've been perusing the forum for several days now. very helpful people and tons of info. i'm looking into a smaller trailer <22' (me and everyone else) and a project as i'd be wanting to completely redo the interior. i've been looking at the older bambi, caravel, globetrotter, and safari.

what are my choices and style (think 50's to 70's, i was born in '71 and would love to find a '71, there's one on ebay right now) for a small trailer WITH a dinette? i suppose since i'd be completely redoing the interior i could add one in, but i'd prefer to maintain the original layout.

any help is greatly appreciated,

thanks,

david
Safari's would be more likely to have the dinette option as they are longer. There was a very popular late-60s Safari with a large dinette that converts into two twins. For additional 'original layout' dinette models, you may want to check out: http://www.vintageairstream.com/archives/ there are lots of photos to check out.

As far as customizing and adding a dinette, it can be done to look as though it was original...I've done it with our '64 GlobeTrotter! Check out my website link below for photos & details.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:36 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Here's a site with pictures of all the 71s available, if that helps...

http://vintageairstream.com/archives/

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:37 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Sharri beat me to it by mere seconds!

And Welcome to the forum!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 02:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Jinx!

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 09-22-2005, 07:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
i just spent the last several hours on the vintage website. thanks so much for that link. based on my limited research so far, this is what i came up with;

years: '69-'71 because of the rounded front windows which would allow more natural light.

models (in order of preference):
18' caravel
21' globetrotter
23' safari

what would one expect to pay for one of these that have been neglected over the years and would really need some TLC? 2K-5K? i know the smaller ones are more desirable. i would be looking for a project. i'm an architect and once we find a house, my next thing would be to buy one of these and start rehabing (forget rehabing the house, i just need a parking spot). it sounds like it could also take awhile to locate one.
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
choices for a small trailer with a dinette?

Greetings urbanfood!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
i just spent the last several hours on the vintage website. thanks so much for that link. based on my limited research so far, this is what i came up with;

years: '69-'71 because of the rounded front windows which would allow more natural light.

models (in order of preference):
18' caravel
21' globetrotter
23' safari

what would one expect to pay for one of these that have been neglected over the years and would really need some TLC? 2K-5K? i know the smaller ones are more desirable. i would be looking for a project. i'm an architect and once we find a house, my next thing would be to buy one of these and start rehabing (forget rehabing the house, i just need a parking spot). it sounds like it could also take awhile to locate one.
There is another possibility if you don't mind your Airstream in a painted version -- the Argosy. The Minuet series with the deep wrap wing windows was often equipped with a front dinette in any of its three lengths -- 6.0 Metre (20'), 6.7 Metre (22'), or 7.3 Metre (24') -- a scan of the '79 Minuet floorplans from the sales brochure is below:

The Minuet was a special light-weight series that was only 7' wide, but came with most of the features found in its bigger siblings.

The Argosy was also available in Argosy 20, Argosy 22, and Argosy 24 models -- and each was available in one or more dinette floorplans -- some of which were never offered in the Airstream line. The two models that didn't have comparable siblings in the Airstream line were the Argosy 20 and Argosy 24 rear door floorplans as shown below:

(In '76, the Rear Door Model was only offered in the Argosy 22)

(The Argosy 24 Rear Door model was only offered in 1977)

While I know that Argosy coaches aren't for everyone, they do offer the charm of an Airstream in a slightly different package. In fact after owning both of my coaches, I don't know which one I would choose if told I could only keep one! I have known the Overlander since it was new, and it was the RV that took me on my first camping trip when it was new and I was five; on the other hand the Minuet is just plain fun--easy to tow--comparatively light weight (less than 3,200 pounds gross weight)--and those deep wrap front wing windows are one of my favorite features (they would later be seen in Airstreams but not until the 1980s).

Good luck with your research and investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:08 PM   #8
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
If you like big windows consider looking at the argosy's - made by Airstream in the seventies. They are painted aluminum - usually sort of cream colored. They pioneered the deep wrap windows that are now standard on CCDs. They also have grey tanks. Airstreams made before 74 do not have grey water tanks. For a really small trailer look at the minuet line - they were sort of experimental and narrower than regular Airstreams and really easy to tow. many of the 6 metre minuets have aluminum floors - no rot. Argosys were made in 20, 22, 24 and longer versions. The Argosy minuets were made in 20 22 and 24 feet but are measured in metres.

On edit: Kevin - you beat me to the really important advice - fast fingers, good taste!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
what would one expect to pay for one of these....
Check out: Price vs Condition

Shari

Old 09-22-2005, 10:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Welcome to the Forums David!

Finding a trailer that only needs that special touch inside is a challenge. The roof, window & door seals (and other factors) tend to allow hidden water in after a while. Floors get to be a troublesome area. I wish you well!

Be wary of eBay, often the sales avenue of some sad cases (whether trailer or owners that don't/won't/can't properly maintain theirs). If you see something interesting post the eBay link or number to these forums -- there are some sharp eyes and folks with similar experiences recognizing red herrings.

Firefox and I are having trouble with the Forum links, but look at these threads:
1. Good Airsteam Sale site http://www.airforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=8769
2. So you want to buy a trailer that is 3 states away???? http://www.airforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=7387

Best of luck -- time and persistence will pay off.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:23 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
you may need to look at my pictures its a 77 argosy six metre minuet i was looking for the same floor plan and size ... although the silver look of the airstream is appealling it does have its draw backs ... for example i just pull into a car wash after a trip and put a few quarters in and BAM ...she's clean... if you want you can paint it the same color as you tow vehicle or go one off and use silver paint and tint the windows... its fully self contained...shower toilet two sinks privacy curtain for the bathroom two small closets overhead storage and under seat storage with great rap around front windows... for the right price i may part with her ... im looking at a bass boat that has cought my eye... although its not perfect its very close... on a scale of 1-10 she's an 8 if it had the awning package that would push it over the top...
Old 09-27-2005, 06:15 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
gotair...

Did I miss something? Where are your pictures?

Cheers,
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:53 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
gotair's photos > gotair2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe
gotair...

Did I miss something? Where are your pictures?

Cheers,
Sorry about that I started this forum membership as gotair then had to change it to gotair2 then went back to gotair the photo's are there just under gotair2 or is it gotair's images ... they are posted I just looked...type in gotair2 then go to images... at least thats where i found it..

Dan.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
gotair2 photos

Is it just me (and Firefox) or are individual member's photo links hard to track down?

http://www.airforums.com/photo...00&userid=4863

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 12:03 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe stream
Is it just me (and Firefox) or are individual member's photo links hard to track down?
Just 'left click' on the UserID and a drop down menu will appear. Then select 'Visit UserID's Photo Gallery'...it should take you right there, unless the User has changed their ID as gotair has.

Shari

Old 09-29-2005, 05:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I want to second the suggestion for looking at Argosy trailers. I have a 78 that has been a fun project. Actually I was very surprised to go the Vintage Airstream's website and click on the 1978 model. That's my trailer in those pictures. Of course it's been restored now, but that's it when I bought it. It was cute then and it's even cuter now. Great trailer, great condition, light and extremely towable. Dry weight for the 24ft is only 3800 lbs. I pull it with a new Trunda with the factory towing package.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	14938   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	14939  

juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:02 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
David;
By "project" do you mean complete and repairable?
There is a 22ft. Safari that's copletely gutted-out that I can ask if it's for sale. The body and frame look solid and very little dings on it. Again, very little left inside and it has been sitting unmolested for about 9 months.
Ernie
'58 Traveler, 18ft.
aztlanco is offline   Reply With Quote