Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Jim Thorpe , Pennsylvania
Can anyone help with info on transferring ownership from CT to PA and proper tagging

Hello,

So frustrating to not be able to find information on this subject easily. My wife and I are purchasing a 19' Bambi (our first) from a private seller and we cannot find how we buy it (in CT) and then transport it back to our state (PA). I talked with a person at our local tag office in PA and he said they need to have it present it to verify the GVW prior to registering it.

So my question is, how do we tow it home 3 hours without tags to title it?

Any info would be appreciated.

Jack
jackster1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
In Texas, you can get a "one-way tag" for bringing a purchased vehicle home or for other relevant use. If CT is a state where the seller keeps the license plates (or their registration is already expired) you may be able to obtain something like that from PA.

In Texas the plate goes with the vehicle, so if CT works like that AND the trailer is currently registered, you may not need a temp tag in the first place.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Thanks for your reply. I just can't seem to find any information anywhere on the subject relevant to PA or CT.
I do appreciate your quick response!
Old 08-20-2018, 10:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I just went through this with the sale of my trailer to a gentleman from SC. It is not easy, but I found a proper way to do it that will satisfy both parties and be secure.

In my situation, my bank still held the title. I could pay off the lien, but could not get the title for 2 weeks. My friend from SC (buyer) could not get a temp tag in Ohio to take it home without a title.

We used an attorney. Have him escrow the money (from the buyer) and let him take the trailer home with your plate. Technically, I guess you are loaning him the trailer until the title is transferred. I gave my buyer a bill of sale that was notarized to satisfy him. The funds would not be transferred to me until he got the title. He then mailed the plate back.

My attorney paid the bank off and they eventually sent me a lien release that I could use to get a copy of the title from the local title department. It took about two weeks. The trailer was long gone and everyone was happy.

Traveling with someone else's plate is not that serious an issue. In fact, it is a 4-degree misdemeanor. With a bill of sale in hand, the buyer has little to worry about.

This may sound a little messy, but it was perfect and adaptable to your case.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Went through the same thing recently living in RI and buying from private seller in MA. It was frustrating and the RI laws were not clear at all. In the end I simply bought an insurance policy (IMPORTANT!) for the trailer, brought along some plates off a small utility trailer we own, picked it up and drove it home.

Long story short, turns out I basically did it the right way. Of course PA may be different, but as long as I had the bill of sale and the previous owners registration I was good to drive it home. Believe me, the DMV website did not state any of this clearly.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:26 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Thanks everyone. You would think it would be easy. I have spent the past three hours on this and still don't have a answer to do it the proper way. I wish I had a tag that I could put on it and just gamble.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I've purchase out of state a couple times. I asked the prior owner to leave the tags on the trailer, then I returned them by US Mail. If they don't want to do that, the only options are to "borrow" from another vehicle (asking for trouble) or drive without. I would rather drive without. With a bill of sale and the transferred title in hand, I doubt any law enforcement officer would write a ticket.

The most important part is to insure the trailer prior to towing it. Call your agent before or as soon as the transaction is completed.

This should help>
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV...ts/fs-toos.pdf
Old 08-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I've purchase out of state a couple times. I asked the prior owner to leave the tags on the trailer, then I returned them by US Mail. If they don't want to do that, the only options are to "borrow" from another vehicle (asking for trouble) or drive without. I would rather drive without. With a bill of sale and the transferred title in hand, I doubt any law enforcement officer would write a ticket.

The most important part is to insure the trailer prior to towing it. Call your agent before or as soon as the transaction is completed.

This should help>
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/DV...ts/fs-toos.pdf

ps:
You do not have to tow it all the way home to register it, just across the state line.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Most states have temporary transport plates [10 days valid or so].

Have you called the PA DMV? Can the seller help you with the CT DMV?

Seems to me [IMO] you need:

-- a valid sale in CT -- seller signs over title to you with correct CT DMV forms, valid bill of sale, etc.
-- insurance ahead of time as already suggested
-- temp tags from CT, or do the license plates go with the vehicle as suggested

This happens all the time, so there should be a DMV-assisted way to do it.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:17 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Found that CT issues an "In Transit Plate" specifically for this reason. Hopefully we can get in the DMV office early enough to take care of it. The day we are pricing it up (8/31) they are only open until 12:30 for the Labor Day holiday. Long drive from PA to CT....but, it the only option! Thanks all!!!
Old 08-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great!

Old 08-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
It’s not the ONLY option - you could have it delivered from CT to PA. Do that with a bonded/insured carrier to protect it in transit. Probably $1-$2/mile in that range. You could contact RJ at rjdominic@wbcci.net to get an estimate. He has a group of people who do this all the time. I know him personally and gladly recommend him - I have no financial reason to do so - there is no business relationship at all - I know him from several region 1 rallies we’ve attended together.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:22 PM   #13
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I live in NJ and I bought my trailer from the seller in Kansas. He sent me the title and I simply registered it in NJ and insured it then drove to Kansas to pick it up. It may have helped that the seller was a friend & neighbor of my family but it was simple enough to do so long as the seller sends the title to you. Quick, easy and completely up and up legal.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:45 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Churchville , Pennsylvania
I live in Pa too....We bought ours from MI..I did not have to have the trailer present to get the tags....all I needed was the vin number and the title
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
https://www.dot.state.pa.us/Public/D...ts/fs-toos.pdf
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Most states have temporary transport plates [10 days valid or so].

Seems to me [IMO] you need:

-- a valid sale in CT -- seller signs over title to you with correct CT DMV forms, valid bill of sale, etc.
-- insurance ahead of time as already suggested
-- temp tags from CT, or do the license plates go with the vehicle as suggested

Good luck,

Peter
Peter is correct. I just returned to AZ after purchasing a small SOB in CT. For my $21, valid CT Bill of Sale, Statement of sales price, and original sellers signatures, I got a 30 day transit plate (piece of paper that I laminated) to place on the trailer. I arrived at DMV at 7:00 and was 6th in line for the 9:00 opening time. By then there were over 200 in line. The good news was that I didn’t have to pay sales tax.

In AZ I had to have the trailer physically inspected and a title search performed to make sure it was a valid sale and not stolen. Then they issued plates.
Hikingsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:33 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

To follow up. All went well (Except for the long lines a the DMV in Danbury CT and a small misinterpretation of the procedure by an inexperienced clerk) and we transferred the title and received an "In-Transit" tag that was good for 30 days. No sales tax in CT.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update, glad it worked out!

Peter