Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2006, 05:31 AM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Camping or Luxury Camping?

I am curious.I know a few people that give me a hard time about real camping and they say what I do is just living in the comforts of a home.I told them that this is just another way of taking it to the next level but they still insist that I am not camping.They even say why do this if you can go on vacation and stay at a hotel.I told them that in the long run I will be saving more money and I would be able to go on many more trips than they would.They still say what I do is not camping.Personally I think this is the most awsome way to go when traveling because I told them how I dont have to sleep in a bed that someone else slep in.I dont have to worry about not getting a room if something were to happen.Plus rooms have gone up quite a bit from what I have been seeing in the last few years.This is the best investment a person or family can make.The thing that gets me though is when I tell them they should get an Airstream there reaction is either I can not afford one of those or that is not camping.Have any of you ever get negative stuff like this from people?It just seems to me that they just dont like the fact that we do something fun and they just want to bring me to there level.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:43 AM   #2
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
I've heard that sooooooo many times.They say 'well how can you call that camping?You have your TV,stove,fridge,stereo,computer,a/c,and a furnace when its cold.You have to sleep in a tent to call it camping'
I've slept in a tent so I think I know where they're coming from.I'll take the Airstream any day and they can call it what they want.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I get the same thing too. Though I tell them that I am "roughing" it because I do not have a microwave or a dish with me. It is all perspective. Camping is not staying in a hotel/motel room.
You may want to use the argument that you have a mobile cabin!!
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Even though I've only owned my Airstream for a short period of time, I'm astounded by the amount of condescending (sometimes masked with humour) comments concerning the camping aspect. How it's definitely "not camping" due to the comforts I have at my disposal.

I respond that it's still camping, but just up a notch. Just like the dude who's camping in the most technologically advanced tent out there, it's taking it up a notch. The dude with the tent most likely has a super duper propane stove, catalytic heater, dining shelter, and the list goes on and on. What really defines camping?

If what we do with our Airstreams isn't considered camping due to all the luxuries we have at our disposal, then couldn't someone who's trekking into the bush and making his own shelter, hunting and gathering all his food, with no access to any luxury items whatsoever be able to sneer at the dude with the fancy tent and fancy items from Camping World?

It's all a matter of levels.

I choose to live in comfort no matter where I go.

And if that means that I can take my kids to a campground where they can enjoy the hikes, the beach, the campfires etc... but yet stay dry and warm, have a shower in my own bathroom, sleep in my own bed, then so be it.

Why label something and put it down, when the bottom line is that it's a very positive thing many people do in life - travelling, showing kids other places, quality family time, etc....

They're probably just jealous!!

-Michelle
Mackhopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 06:47 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
London , ontario
Green eyed monster!!

Jealously, plain and simple. Just ask them if they won an Airstream would they give it back and still use their tent? I'd bet most would say no.

Now I'd admit RV'ing is not the same as camping. Extremes.

To me camping is hiking in with what you can carry. RV'ing is what we do.

To each their own.
gowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:07 AM   #6
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
When my son joined Cub Scouts a few years ago, I bought an Eddie Bauer tent, two Eddie Bauer sleeping bags, and one of those inflateable queen-sized air mattresses with collapsable platform bed frames. I get chided about that. Now I have an Airstream. I get chided about that. I just don't get it.

Princess Diva and I just have high standards, that's all.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:17 AM   #7
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile Let them tour your trailer, turn them on to the forum

And they'll come over to the Airstream side of camping!!

'course they could just be giving you the business. Give it right back, if you are a single camper say "I'm worth it!" If you have a family, "they are worth it!" If you camp with them and it rains, take em a nice cup of coffee and let them sit under your awning!!
Old 08-25-2006, 07:26 AM   #8
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
A rose by any othr name

Ehhh who cares what they call it, it is a superb way to enjoy oneself. I guess it is one of those things in life where if you need it explained you are not going to understand.......

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:29 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Lake Tomahawk , Wisconsin
You all missed the key statement made every time to one of those who say it's not camping! And you get the big nod of approval from the misses!!!!!

"My wife has her own bathroom"!
William Ales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Still wondering

Just wondering
Is there ANYONE out there that uses the Airstream as that special place just to get away from it all?

Now I do appreciate all the neat stuff out there....but what are you REALLY doing out there "boondocking" or "on the road" with computers. cell phones, WIFI equiped, Satellite capable, HD LCD, infared, Generator back up'ed, microwaved, IPOD Ituned, downloaded, GPS located and directed, etc., etc.
Don't jump on me! I am curious about it. I remember those days of no AC, campfires (actually cooked on them), sleeping bags and peeing behind the trees. Great time....Try it just for the heck of it.

Heading out this weekend....Airstream, a folding chair, cooler and a guitar.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 07:38 AM   #11
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Camping: Camping is an outdoor recreational activity involving the spending of one or more nights in a tent, primitive structure, a travel trailer or recreational vehicle at a campsite with the purpose of getting away from civilization and enjoying nature. Camping describes a whole range of activities, from survivalist campers who set off with little more than their boots to those who arrive in large recreational vehicles equipped with their own electricity, heat, and patio furniture.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camping
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:19 AM   #12
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by swebster
Camping: Camping is an outdoor recreational activity involving the spending of one or more nights in a tent, primitive structure, a travel trailer or recreational vehicle at a campsite with the purpose of getting away from civilization and enjoying nature. Camping describes a whole range of activities, from survivalist campers who set off with little more than their boots to those who arrive in large recreational vehicles equipped with their own electricity, heat, and patio furniture.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camping
I agree. Getting away from civilization and enjoying nature is what it is all about for us. There is a big difference between camping and going to a RV Park. When you are parked on a huge blacktop slab and your awning is touching the RV next door, you are not camping. That's just my opinion...

Camping / RV Park
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camping.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	25184   Click image for larger version

Name:	not.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	25185  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:26 AM   #13
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
I started camping and backpacking many years ago w/Boy Scouts. They taught me to love and appreciate the outdoors. We always camped in tents or under tarps, never even used cabins. I still backpack now, and carry my home on my back. Truth is, we don't spend any more time inside whether we are in the AirStream or in a tent. We cook outside, sit outside, etc. Even in the rain.For us there is not much difference, it is all camping. We don't bring a TV or computer, etc. Cell phones rarely work where we camp. It sure is nice to have a bed at night, versus sleeping on the ground while backpacking, and a bathroom, and ready hot water.
I recently witnessed 2 kids sitting around a lap-top watching a video, while Dad set up their tent.
So who is really camping?

We camp with other families occasionaly. Some of them have 5th wheels with 3 TV's. Their kids spend more time inside than out. We don't allow this for our family.
My Son is better amused (and better behaved) chasing frogs, snakes, splashing in the pond, etc.

For us, camping, and the AirStream, is one of the best ways to have quality family time.
It really is a matter of perspective, and attitude. When we "camp" we minimize the "clutter" and spend time together.
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:26 AM   #14
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
We went camping last year with some friends who are "traditionalists". @ adults and 2 kids in one backpacking sized tent. All OK.... until the weather turned foul. Turns out you CAN fit 6 people in a minuet!

It's all a matter of perspective. I've had tent campers wonder about why we need all that space and I've had folks with 34 footers ask me how I can "survive" with so little space.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:07 AM   #15
Riviting Espresso

1978 25' Caravanner
Boca Raton , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ColdEspresso Send a message via Yahoo to ColdEspresso
Spending the night at a campsite is camping. Boondocking with an RV is still camping. I think that some of the purists confuse backpacking with camping. Before I had an AS I used to tent camp and the purests used to argue about who had the lighter gear. When I backpack, I carry my house, cooking supplies, provisions, & bed with me. Most of the time I travel in the AS and backpack into the wilderness to places that an RV cannot get to. So, I can really cover more ground and stretch the time I spend in nature by using the AS as a hub and packing into the woods for a day or so. Fact is ...camping is camping...
1978 Caravanner
2002 Chevy Avalanche Z71
2009 VW Sportwagen TDi
Rancilio Espresso Machine w/ Rocky Grinder
ColdEspresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:09 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Devo---I think we've all heard these things over the years. There seems to be a tendency to criticize those who have different taste than we do. At the same time there is the tendency to be offended when this ocures.
Personally I do not defend or make excuses for what I have or the way in which I use it. My wife and I worked hard for what we have and don't owe an explaination. Have found my best responce seems to be just a smile.
pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:09 AM   #17

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We hear the same thing, "that ain't campin". In the past, I have done a lot of tent camping. It afforded me the opportunity to become close to our four sons. As grown men, they still talk of those camping trips. The boys and I would pile into Elsie, our '81 Toyoto Land Cruiser FJ-40 (new at the time), load her up with camping gear and head out cross country. We had to use a roof basket and a Tuck folding utility trailer to carry all of our gear. Those were great times, and I remember them fondly. There were many pop-ups and travel trailers then. I remember thinking that they were pretty neat, but I didn't want one because you couldn't take one to the remote mountain campsites.

Jump ahead twenty-five years. I still enjoy the camping experience. I also enjoy a real queen size bed and Wifi Internet. What more can you ask for, all the comforts of home in the middle of the great outdoors. Yes, I do call it camping despite what others may think or say. They can have their opinion and I can have mine.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:49 AM   #18
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEspresso
Spending the night at a campsite is camping. Boondocking with an RV is still camping. I think that some of the purists confuse backpacking with camping. Before I had an AS I used to tent camp and the purests used to argue about who had the lighter gear. When I backpack, I carry my house, cooking supplies, provisions, & bed with me. Most of the time I travel in the AS and backpack into the wilderness to places that an RV cannot get to. So, I can really cover more ground and stretch the time I spend in nature by using the AS as a hub and packing into the woods for a day or so. Fact is ...camping is camping...
Same here! And it is always great to get back to a good nights sleep at "basecamp"!
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 09:52 AM   #19
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Devoman.

The whole reason to do what you are doing is to get away from the people that you just described.

You could swing it the other way around saying that if you stay in a hotel/motel, you miss opportunities to bond with friends and family; watching a sunset, and so on.

Actually, don't bother explaining anything. They won't understand no matter what.

Just enjoy yourself. Enjoy life. Be happy. Screw everyone else....

Best wishes.

Jonathan

PS- Still have not bought a new tow V due to no money. Still wishing though...
Old 08-25-2006, 09:56 AM   #20
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Some of our best friends gave us some ribbing about "camping" in our Airstream. Last summer we all went to Lincoln Lake together, they brought their tent and setup in our RV spot.

By breakfast they were saying things like "maybe we could get one"...and..."how much are they?"
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote