Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-20-2015, 06:00 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Campground near rocky mount NC?

Can anyone recommend a good campground near I-95 that's near rocky mount NC?

An hour or so south is fine too.

Also if there's anything worth altering course within a few hours that's worth it for the family?

We are headed towards st. Augustine Florida and have a few days to get there.
gomotomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Carolina Crossroads is a great stopping point. It is up by Roanoke Rapids. Clean, nice amenities, good price, easy in/out. Do not try the KOA further South.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:30 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Medoc Mountian State Park:

Medoc Mountain State Park | NC State Parks

Medoc Mountain State Park, NC - Campground & Camping Details - ReserveAmerica - [NC]

Small, quiet and clean. It is our stop while traveling I95. We will be there on the 22th this month.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:33 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
Two thumbs up for Medoc Mt. State Park. Easy on off from 95.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:49 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
If your looking for an good overnight place close to Rte 95 try RVaction Campground in Selma, NC. (866)-783-5923. Its on the east side of Rte 95 and can be seen from the highway. Get off Rte 95 south at Exit 98 and make a left turn, go under Rte 95 and you will see the sign for the campground on your left.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Airstream - Other
2019 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Williamsburg , Virginia
We have traveled from Charleston, SC to "Southside Virginia" many times over the past 12 years of RVing and can comment on the following: RVacation is an ok site but each site offers a very fine crushed gravel material that seems to follow you into the coach and in previous years they have had a large Canadian geese population and their attendant droppings about the campground.

There use to be a KOA at exit #90 but now part of a three campground ownership. They have many wide and long pull thru sites with easy access to I95 and just 5 miles south of outlet mall and restaurants. South of there is another of their campgrounds at exit #62 with fewer pull thru sites but equally convenient and well maintained.

Hope this helps.
SC RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 02:32 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Greensboro , North Carolina
x3 for Medoc Mt. SP. We tent camped there over Thanksgiving weekend and it was nice. About half of the sites have electricity, but a few of them would be a bit tricky to get into with a longer TT. The lower numbered sites seem to have the best access. We found the website directions better than our GPS or phone nav app.

Safe travels!
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:22 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

New Market , Alabama
Camping Near Rocky Mount

Although about 1 hour from Roanoke Rapids I used to live close to Kerr Lake and any of the state camp grounds on the lake are nice wher you can get a water front site Nutbush, County Line, Hiberna just look up Kerr lake camp grounds and go for the North Carolina State Parks.
Silver84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:12 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
We ended up staying in Medoc Mountain. Got there after hours but was able to contact ranger and set up camp. Place was super clean, convenient and accommodating. Really appreciate the help from everyone on this subject. I would also recommend this campground.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomotomoto View Post
We ended up staying in Medoc Mountain. Got there after hours but was able to contact ranger and set up camp. Place was super clean, convenient and accommodating. Really appreciate the help from everyone on this subject. I would also recommend this campground.
Glad your trip is working out. Curious which route you took -- guessing not I-81. Thanks.

Have fun!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:20 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Glad your trip is working out. Curious which route you took -- guessing not I-81. Thanks.

Have fun!

Peter

We live in south jersey, so we took the cape May lewes ferry. Such a cinch! Kids loved it. We went down the eastern shore and it was very pleasant, easy drive.

We think (weather permitting, we'll take 77/81 on the way home. If that looks too cold for overnights, we'll go up the eastern shore again. I don't think I'll ever go through DC again!!! Ever!!! Thanks again so so much. We're having an awesome time.