Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #1

Calling All 30 with Slideout Owners

Have you experienced tire failure on your 30' with Slide-out? If so, please E-Mail with your details and possible solutions (tchristopher@tcgco.com). I have experienced several myself and have done everyhting I can think of to prevent them. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Tom
tchristopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hello Tom,

The slides are heavy and with the 15" ST tires you are almost at max weight. Each one of my tires sits with 2000 lbs on them. I still run with 15". Converting to 16" with LT tires would be a good solution. I changed to Maxis radials 'E' rating and keep the tire pressure at 65 psi cold and so far so good. Lots of opinions on this topic.

Regards. Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #3
lrw
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dundee , Michigan
We bought our 2007 in 2012 and had a flat soon after. We upped to 16's as the tire mechanic soggested. Good advice.
lrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 12:41 PM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I have a 28' slide and have had two flats. Both occurred on the inaugural trip home after purchase years ago. The reason, the tires had been mounted incorrectly with rubber valve stems and stored such that that side was exposed to UV daily which rapidly degraded the material.

I replaced all the tires (15") with E rated and metal valve stems. I have pulled the trailer in excess of 26,000 miles since without incident. Cold pressure = 65 lbs.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
We have a 30' with a slide and I had 3 flats with the standard 15" ST tires, mostly Goodyear Marathons. I switched, like many, to a 16" rim and Michelin LT E rated tires. I also added the Centramatic auto balancers both to our AS and TV. Never another issue with tires. Only safe way to go IMHO.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Had 3 tires fail. A Marathon near the end of season 3. A section of tread pealed off. Tire held together and failed with a broken belt as I arrived home and was backing into the driveway.

Replaced the Marathons with E rated Maxxis tires. The two front axle tires had belt slippage which cause the tires to balloon in size. Failure occurred on the first outing of season 4. Happened sometime during a 200 mile drive home from a rally. Again I found the problem when I backed the trailer into the drive. I noticed that the distance between the tires had decreased when I was blocking the wheels.

In the case of the Marathons I ran at 65 PSI. I ran the Maxxis tires at 80 PSI. I'm very careful about speed and inflation and my tires are always checked prior to departing from home and from my destination campground. The trailer is stored indoors so we didn't fail from UV exposure.

I switched to 16" Sendel wheels and Michelin LTX E rated tires. I also run them at 80 PSI. This will be their 4th season of use this spring.

My feeling is that due to the weight of the trailer, ST tires cannot survive more than 3 years. After that point of time (on these slide outs) they no longer are reliable due to the high amount of weight that they carry. Remember that the Classic 30' and 31' model trailers (both 31' long) were the heaviest trailers that Airstream has built on a tandem axle.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote