Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2017, 01:00 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
Buying an AS pencils out!

In late 2013, we purchased our 2014 28 FC. It was twice the cost of the SOB trailers we first looked at, and about half the cost of the diesel pusher we considered. Still a lot of money and we wondered if buying an RV would pencil out vs. other options. The goal was to explore and get out more with our two boys while we still could before they got too old to want to camp with dad and mom.

Before we purchased it, we made a spreadsheet that listed the comparative costs of (1) buying the AS, (2) taking trips and paying average hotel/air/gas etc, (3) buying a lake cottage or cabin, (4) renting an RV for 2-3 trips a year, or (5) taking over our folks' timeshare and paying the annual fee plus extra nights. We had tent camped and while we liked it, the hassle factor meant we did maybe 1-2 trips a year. Per our spreadsheet, the only way the AS penciled out vs the other options was if we actually used it about a weekend a month.

In just under 4 years, we've taken about 8 trips a year, averaging 3 nights each trip. The farthest we've traveled is about 1200 miles one way, and most trips are within about 100-300 miles from home. We've visited lots of places in Oregon, a few in CA and Idaho, and one in Canada. But we've also seen a ton of great places in WA, places we would have never traveled to but for buying an RV.

Today we traded the 28 FC in on a 27 International (better layout suited our needs). From our trade in, we figure we took about a $25,000 loss in depreciation from our purchase price. Doing the math, however, that works out to about $6250 per year, or $260 a night to own the AS. Add in an average cost of about $40 a night for the campground fee, and the AS is about as expensive as a nice hotel room in a West coast large city - for two but probably not four travelers. I am also not adding in the cost of food (less in an RV) or travel (much less than flying).

But... we also used it as a room for visiting relatives (and it will see additional duty when we renovate our house). And there is little chance that we would have vacationed 24 days each year staying in a hotel, and almost zero chance we would have visited some of the great spots that we did. Plus, so many places you can't enjoy in the way we did in our AS - camping on the WA coast at the magnificent Klaloch and Cape Disappointment campgrounds, hearing the racing engines howl at Laguna Seca Raceway, waking up in Napa Valley to wine taste at nearby Vineyards, doing a 3 day motorcycle camp event in Capitol Forest, having Christmas across the bridge from Stanley Park in Vancouver BC, meeting interesting folks at almost every place we went, and the best - hanging out with our boys watching classic films at night and campfires and such.

So today, when we were facing that same question about whether to spend additional $$$$$ upgrading to what we hope will be our last AS, the question was not if, but which one. Had we kept the 28 FC, no doubt our future travels would have been much cheaper, but nothing like the trailer you want and having your S/O happy and eager to go to more places.

I am so glad we made this decision 4 years ago - and when the boys are old enough to share their childhood memories, we will know they will never forget the great places we've seen and been.

So much money has rarely been better spent.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Great!
Old 06-05-2017, 04:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Have to laugh as we have had numerous RVs including Class A's, trailers and four Airstreams. Always seem to go back to the AS.

We have ended up with a 2017 Classic twin 30'. Best RV we have had. Layout of the twin gives us much more storage inside and outside which is what we were looking for as we travel off an on about six months out of the year.

Good luck

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:10 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
That's a great story, and encouraging to hear! We're really at the beginning of time spent traveling with our kids (currently 10 & 11). Looking forward to making great memories for them and us! Thanks for sharing your perspective!
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
We don't worry about the math.

We go camping.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:56 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York

Ditto.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:33 AM   #7
Giovanni

2015 28' International
St Helena , California
Hoorah! Life is short and best spent with loved ones...Great investment!!!
Jbuccola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Seems like the money and memories were well worth it.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post
In late 2013, we purchased our 2014 28 FC. It was twice the cost of the SOB trailers we first looked at, and about half the cost of the diesel pusher we considered. Still a lot of money and we wondered if buying an RV would pencil out vs. other options. The goal was to explore and get out more with our two boys while we still could before they got too old to want to camp with dad and mom.

Before we purchased it, we made a spreadsheet that listed the comparative costs of (1) buying the AS, (2) taking trips and paying average hotel/air/gas etc, (3) buying a lake cottage or cabin, (4) renting an RV for 2-3 trips a year, or (5) taking over our folks' timeshare and paying the annual fee plus extra nights. We had tent camped and while we liked it, the hassle factor meant we did maybe 1-2 trips a year. Per our spreadsheet, the only way the AS penciled out vs the other options was if we actually used it about a weekend a month.

In just under 4 years, we've taken about 8 trips a year, averaging 3 nights each trip. The farthest we've traveled is about 1200 miles one way, and most trips are within about 100-300 miles from home. We've visited lots of places in Oregon, a few in CA and Idaho, and one in Canada. But we've also seen a ton of great places in WA, places we would have never traveled to but for buying an RV.

Today we traded the 28 FC in on a 27 International (better layout suited our needs). From our trade in, we figure we took about a $25,000 loss in depreciation from our purchase price. Doing the math, however, that works out to about $6250 per year, or $260 a night to own the AS. Add in an average cost of about $40 a night for the campground fee, and the AS is about as expensive as a nice hotel room in a West coast large city - for two but probably not four travelers. I am also not adding in the cost of food (less in an RV) or travel (much less than flying).

But... we also used it as a room for visiting relatives (and it will see additional duty when we renovate our house). And there is little chance that we would have vacationed 24 days each year staying in a hotel, and almost zero chance we would have visited some of the great spots that we did. Plus, so many places you can't enjoy in the way we did in our AS - camping on the WA coast at the magnificent Klaloch and Cape Disappointment campgrounds, hearing the racing engines howl at Laguna Seca Raceway, waking up in Napa Valley to wine taste at nearby Vineyards, doing a 3 day motorcycle camp event in Capitol Forest, having Christmas across the bridge from Stanley Park in Vancouver BC, meeting interesting folks at almost every place we went, and the best - hanging out with our boys watching classic films at night and campfires and such.

So today, when we were facing that same question about whether to spend additional $$$$$ upgrading to what we hope will be our last AS, the question was not if, but which one. Had we kept the 28 FC, no doubt our future travels would have been much cheaper, but nothing like the trailer you want and having your S/O happy and eager to go to more places.

I am so glad we made this decision 4 years ago - and when the boys are old enough to share their childhood memories, we will know they will never forget the great places we've seen and been.

There is a very pointed German saying that has been influencing my decision making as I grow older: The last shirt has no pockets.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:04 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
We don't worry about the math.

We go camping.

Regards,

JD
Ditto! Kids are grown and we're on our third & smallest Airstream. No regrets.

Thank you, Lara Me ⛺️

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
Loved your story. We tend to analyze as you do. We are empty nesters and absolutely love our AS. Decided to go all in and have never regretted it. Best of luck to you and your future memories!
judyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:18 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Irvine , California
Thank you for sharing. We have just started our AS journey with our 11 & 10 year old kid. As you know, it's a big financial leap but hoping the experience is amazing and wonderful memories are made!

Chris
Airhills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 01:01 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Newcastle , Oklahoma
Great Story.

We were not financially able to buy an Airstream when my kids were young, so we did our travels with a camper shell and tents. My children still reminisce and laugh at all the fun (and sometimes not so fun) times we had in the Rockies and other parts of the USA. They are now creating the same memories with my grandchildren.

I say that only to say this: Airstreams don’t create memories, Love Does! Those memories that your children have are because you love them enough to spend time with them.

Keep It Up and Enjoy Life!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Cool!

We bought out AS in late 2013 as well - a 2014 bunkhouse - kids now are ages 4.5 and 6.5.

We never RV'ed before but after a couple years of spending some serious cash per year at condos and such - we did the math too....probably not quite as much math as you did but the same idea.

We have now I am happy to say zero regrets and we have no plans to change trailer models.

I believe overall so far we probably spend about the same per year give or take.

I turn 34 years this Wednesday and my wife is 34 - it is surreal.

We plan on using this trailer for years to come and potentially even into our retirement years (whenever that would be)....

We did not get to do a family AS trip till this week and boy were we overdue!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7136.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	355.8 KB
ID:	286941

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

We went through some very similar math and came to very similar conclusions. One of the best suggestions I can make now: Burn the spread sheet. The deal is done, just go enjoy life !!

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:03 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
This is the same exercise I did with my fishing boat. The first Chinook Salmon cost about $1,150 per pound, five years later it is about $136 per pound, but I keep finding have-to-haves for the boat so the cost doesn't go down much anymore. However, the fun and enjoyment are priceless.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #17
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
In your RV you have some or all of the following that is worth a lot value not found in commercial lodging:
convenience
dirt (your own)
storage
suitcases and hang ups
communications
entertainment
companionship
food
cook
personal items (if you did not forget them)
room service
TV parking
hobbies
computer and iPads
books
shelter
driver
utilities (your's or theirs)
others.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:01 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Greensboro , North Carolina
Thanks so much for sharing the facts, figures, and feelings!!
NC Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:53 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Take another Look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Me View Post

Your analysis has a major flaw that might not apply to you but I think it would for most people.

To start, let me say I have done the same thing analyzing cost and never ever believed I would buy any kind of hard sided trailer, fifth wheel, or diesel pusher much less own an Airstream. I did the analysis and determined that for the money I would spend just towing the thing around, I could stay in a Four-Star Hotel. My analysis discounted the food as well, but I can see that was an error. It is much more significant even for two much less four than I counted in the beginning.

But the problem with your analysis is highlighted in numbers 1 -5 above where you count all options as even. It is not the cost... but the lifestyle that I think most people do this for. In your case is is absolutely possible that all options are equal, but those are not equal in my case.

I don't want to go to a time share in the same place every year... and I don't want to get involved in "banking points" to go to other peoples time shares in other limited locations, so in my case, the time share takeover is a non-event. I would bet that that option is even more costly than an Airstream! I am equally unlikely to be happy renting a unit. I spent a few days in Monument Valley last month, and the rental units were equipped with absolute garbage for sewer hookups. I felt so sorry for the foreign couple that was next to me, I provided nitrile gloves for their departure as well as their initial hookup after the fellow took a bath in black water. I would probably have to rent the unit for a couple days ahead of the planned trip just to fumigate and clean the rental rig (not my favorite pass time). Count that out too.

Now in earlier days my wife and I would backpack into the Colorado Mountains about 20 miles every weekend and you indicate you had tented... so given that, National Forest areas and BLM lands are not going to regularly add $40 each night. I have the advantage of an All Agency Pass, and in Yellowstone $14 a night quickly recovers fuel costs to drive the 1200 miles to get there. My wife and I had been renting a VRBO in Gardiner, Montana just out the gate from Mammoth Hot Springs. It was $1100 a week plus a $300 security deposit. It had a full kitchen so count the food equal. Towing the AS to Yellowstone and staying for two weeks at $14 a night (not everything is equal, but for past backpackers, equal enough) I can save half the cost of doing the VRBO and driving a fuel efficient vehicle to the Park.

You will have to try to put a value that fits your situation onto your options (which I presume you did before buying yet another AS) but you may be shortchanging yourself. If you felt the AS was worth the money using an "all equal" basis, you will be even happier to re-think the analysis and provide "lifestyle", "freedom of choice", and other weighting factors.

By the way, I told people I would never own a trailer because everybody I saw paid dearly, lost half when they sold it, didn't use it as much as they thought, and I could stay in a 4 star hotel for the same money... What I didn't count on was developing two hobbies where there are no four star hotels (often not even a bed and breakfast). Astronomy begs dark skies and there are no dark skies around big cities that I have found. The top Star Party (arguably) in the U.S. is the Okie-Tex event in September. It was listed as 8th in the world and the first listing for U.S. events... it is headed for its 35th or 36th year and lodging anywhere near it has been booked for years and is booked for years into the future... I bought my Airstream solely for that event each year. Then I joined the 4CU and found some really great people I enjoy meeting up with at the various rallies, and the whole picture changed. (The other hobby, by the way is metal detecting which likes to go to out of the way places, often without lodging).

So I hope you enjoy your new Airstream, but be fair in your analysis, and you might find that the value to you isn't all dollars and cents, and like you say, what price do you put on camping with your kids while they still want to be with you?
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:36 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Fall City , Washington
All great thoughts here. Lest anyone think I live life via a spreadsheet, I agree the intangible benefits were priceless. Agree we didnt need a fancy trailer to achieve these but the AS has truly inspired us to make new adventures a more regular part of our lives, and vs the other options, we actually did more together, than we would have thought we would.