Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2019, 06:42 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
Buy Local (80 Miles Away) or Colonial AS (220 miles away)

Hi Team,

So considering the price between these two options is basically the same. Where would you chose to buy at:

Airstream of VA (80 miles away). As local as it gets for us.
They are now owned by Camping World and are building a huge new Airstream Only Dealer/Showroom. They will occupy it in about 4 weeks. A plus here is:
1) Closest
2) Country wide network of Camping World Dealers.

OR

Colonial of NJ
As i quickly found from reading this forum. They have an excellent reputation. Chatting with Patrick was amazing. He is as knowledgeable and friendly as he seems in the videos. A Plus here is
1) Reputation
2) Patrick . His youtube vids played a big role in our selection.

So which would you chose? Any other Pros/Cons I should consider?
cru-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cru-in View Post
Hi Team,

So considering the price between these two options is basically the same. Where would you chose to buy at:

They are now owned by Camping World
I see you're in Maryland. I vote for Colonial.
Camping World, love them or hate them, has many angry posts on YouTube about their methods.
I've never heard a bad word about Colonial, and they're #1 in sales.

I bought from a dealer 120 miles away, even though there's one 20 miles away, and I considered Colonial, but it's a thousand miles away, and the first towing miles would have been near Philly, DC, and NJ.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Everything is about people.

Buy from Patrick. These are good people.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:32 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Waco , Texas
I am from Texas, and we purchased our trailer from Colonial Airstream. Extremely professional at sales time, even more incredible at dealer preparation prior to delivery. Just a wonderful experience. Even two years later, I still see the benifits of a quality and responsible dealer having checked everything prior to delivery.
Martee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:41 AM   #5
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
There will be warranty issues that will need to be addressed. Having a reputable service department behind sales is a definite plus. Our local Camping World had mediocre service at best. Colonial has a good service department and they know AS.

So if you have the time and means to travel to Colonial periodically they would get my vote.

How do prices compare?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
My trailer was originally sold by Colonial and their PDI was apparently outstanding. On this forum their reputation is tops. My nearest dealer does not care where the Airstream was purchased, for service. The service dept is a completely separate business unit. Perhaps Colonial will match any price from VA, if Colonial is not already lower, when you get quotes. I would go to Colonial.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Like Mollysdad, I had a choice between a dealer 20 miles away or dealers 70, 160, and Colonial—850 miles away. The dealer 20 miles away didn’t return phone calls or emails in a reasonable time (finally heard back from them about 5 months after I purchased elsewhere ). The dealer 70 miles away gave me a deadline for placing an order and I didn’t feel comfortable with that.

In the end it came down to Woodlands and Colonial. They were both awesome to work with and very open to what I wanted to do. The deciding factor? Spending my $ in the midwest vs. on the east coast. That was all.

Go with some combination of due diligence and gut feel (i.e. don’t rely solely on reviews—at this price point, every dealer has bad reviews left by customers with exaggerated senses of entitlement). Do business with who you feel the most comfortable with. Remember that service and sales are for all intents and purposes different businesses running under the same roof, so if the purchase entitles you to some dealer service perks or if you want to have your unit serviced at the dealership you purchased from, talk to the service manager (or customers in the waiting room).
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:04 AM   #8
ZOZ
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
Five-Rivet

In May, 2017 AS started their Five Rivet dealer standards recognition program. Dealers must meet high standards in AS sales and service and meet exceptional scores in customer service surveys.

Airstream of Virginia and Colonial Airstream are both Five Rivet certified dealers by AS.

https://media.airstream.com/press-re...dards-program/

zoz
ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
In these discussions, I'm always amused by the different perspectives. We took a 3400-mile round-trip to purchase from Colonial, even though the local AS dealer is only 2 miles from my house. Nick (and Patrick) at Colonial were able to answer my questions either immediately, or within a few hours of my asking. My local guys might take a week to get back to me--if they even bothered to call back at all. Plus, Colonial was many thousands of dollars cheaper than the local yahoos.

But the purchase is only a single transaction. Service is an ongoing issue. Ideally, I would go back to Colonial or even Jackson Center, but the distance is quite far as to be impractical most of the time. I'm "stuck" using the local dealer for service, and I only hope they don't penalize me for purchasing elsewhere. If you are worried about this, then purchase locally. Otherwise, my vote is drive to NJ.

On a personal note, I grew up about 20 minutes from Jackson Center and my folks still live there. I imagine we'll be doing periodic road trips to west central Ohio, so if I plan ahead, JC can handle all my fixer-ups.

Good luck with your decision.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOZ View Post

Airstream of Virginia and Colonial Airstream are both Five Rivet certified dealers by AS.

https://media.airstream.com/press-re...dards-program/

zoz
Although the OP noted Airstream of Virginia is now owned by Camping World, so that might change things. And it might not.

I'm a two timer at Colonial and think they're the best.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:22 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Jacksonville Beach , Florida
Here's our experience. We searched about a year before finally deciding on an 05 Safari. The closest dealer ended up having the one we liked which being the closest dealer I think made our decision a bit easier. They were upfront with us through the process while visiting them a few times throughout that year, they give their customers priority unless the other person has a safety issue and they are traveling through. I'm glad we went with the closest one. We new buying a used one may have some small issues and as soon as we found them they have taken care of them quickly! The service department has been great even though as the wife I'm the one that has talked to them the most and I feel that says alot about them. (I'm the one that wanted the airstream the most. Lol) They've taken time to answer all of my questions. So talk to the closest dealer and ask them if they prioritize their customers first then is a cash customer the same as a warranty customer that bought somewhere else. The dealers only have so much time and so many employees so I understand them prioritizing certain areas. Like some else said use your gut if something seems off then decide to go the other route. Good luck! It's nice that you have two 5 Rivet dealers to choose from.
Grace-n-Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
If I were looking to purchase, I would certainly consider giving Patrick my business. I've spoken to him a few times in the past and gotten straitforward answers. His expertise and opinions are appreciated.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:35 AM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
It depends on you. If you will tow to Colonial for warranty and other dealer work, use them. If there is the potential that using the dealer 80 miles from your home would be easier for your needs, then consider them carefully.

We believe a local dealer is the best solution if they can do the work competently and are an organization with which you can build a relationship.

Good Luck with your new coach purchase. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:47 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Greeneville , Tennessee
I would run (fast) from Camping World. Ethics?
jimfa440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #15
Something Shiny

2017 27' International
Mosinee , Wisconsin
I'd recommend investigating the reputation of Camping World's ownership.
Quote:
Hi Team,

They are now owned by Camping World and are building a huge new Airstream Only Dealer/Showroom. They will occupy it in about 4 weeks. A plus here is:
1) Closest

OR

Colonial of NJ
As i quickly found from reading this forum. They have an excellent reputation. Chatting with Patrick was amazing. He is as knowledgeable and friendly as he seems in the videos. A Plus here is
1) Reputation

ProPride hitch, 1400#
2018 Ford F250 Platinum 6.7L Diesel
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:00 AM   #16

2014 20' Flying Cloud
STONY POINT , New York
Colonial AS is worth the trip

Purchased my FC20C from Nick at Colonial. This is a great family owned business staffed by friendly professional knowledgeable people. They are presently building a new larger facility which to me confirms their commitment to the Airstream product..
Steve Landco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Oak Ridge , North Carolina
We had a dealer 10 miles away and Colonial 4 states away. We went to Colonial and have never regretted.
Ms.Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:18 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo View Post
I'd recommend investigating the reputation of Camping World's ownership.
^^^ x2

https://www.google.com/search?q=Airs...com&gws_rd=ssl
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ia-190535.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f348...ce-179731.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ml#post2063038

Personally, I would travel much further to go to Colonial.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Hi Team,

1) Closest

OR

Colonial of NJ
1) Reputation

We live in Houston and bought in the Austin area. If we had it to do all over again, we would have made the trip to Colonial (yes, that far) due to just the info we have received from Patrick and we didn't even purchase from him. The dealers here in TX are not that great. Vogt opened an AS only facility and we will see how it goes. Make the trip to NJ. I already refer colleagues there. Most knowledgeable and they love the AS market and beholden to no one else.
MandDinSpgTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:27 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Mountain View , California
I believe that we’re the record holder for distance traveled to buy from Colonial, California to New Jersey. Our local dealer required a four month wait for the Classic we wanted and Colonial had it in stock. Met the quoted local price (24% off sticker) and our local dealer has been excellent for warranty service.
JFRINALDI is offline   Reply With Quote