Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Long Beach , California
Breakaway Switch popped out!

Quick question - if I accidentally tripped on the breakaway switch, which popped out, but then was able to easily pop it back in, will I have a problem leaving my site tomorrow? Will the trailer breaks be engaged, or is it fine as long as the pin is back in the breakaway switch? I have a 2017 25FB currently unhitched at a state park.

Quick answers appreciated to make the wife feel better!
VLWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Ivins , Utah
As long as the pin is popped in, the brakes will be released. Nothing additional needed to do.
steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 07:58 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Long Beach , California
Thanks Steverino! We"ll sleep well now.
VLWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 10:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWino View Post
Quick question - if I accidentally tripped on the breakaway switch, which popped out, but then was able to easily pop it back in, will I have a problem leaving my site tomorrow?
No problem as long as it wasn't out long enough to drain your batteries.
My dealer demo'd the switch by pulling it out. Since the cable was so long he recommended tying a very loose knot in the cable, so it doesn't drag the ground, but would get tight in an emergency.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Pulling the pin out occasionally with the trailer not plugged into the TV to test that the breakaway switch works is actually a really good idea.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:11 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
No problem as long as it wasn't out long enough to drain your batteries.
My dealer demo'd the switch by pulling it out. Since the cable was so long he recommended tying a very loose knot in the cable, so it doesn't drag the ground, but would get tight in an emergency.
Someone had popped mine out while in storage (no way to tell how long). I checked the magnetic brakes, looked good. Battery was low but not dead and I was able to re-charge. Has been working since with no problems.
hoagy_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:47 PM   #7
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Caution: If you happen to have disc brakes, only leave the pull plug out a second or so. If left out longer the electrical load on the switch wiring will cause it to melt and short out. Eventually, the switch contacts weld together and you can no longer turn off the pump by replacing the plug. Unfortunately, no one makes a brake-away switch with wires large enough to handle the load an electric/hydraulic pump places on the wiring. I have had to change several because of this. It even happened at the Airstream Factory Service Center. Do not use the brake-away switch instead of chocks to keep the trailer from moving.
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:59 PM   #8
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Caution: If you happen to have disc brakes, only leave the pull plug out a second or so. If left out longer the electrical load on the switch wiring will cause it to melt and short out. Eventually, the switch contacts weld together and you can no longer turn off the pump by replacing the plug. Unfortunately, no one makes a brake-away switch with wires large enough to handle the load an electric/hydraulic pump places on the wiring. I have had to change several because of this. It even happened at the Airstream Factory Service Center. Do not use the brake-away switch instead of chocks to keep the trailer from moving.
guskmg
In an actual break away will this lock the brakes on or will they fail?