Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2018, 08:16 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Leawood , Kansas
Brand New KC Buyer Seeking Model Input!

Hi!
We are just beginning our journey. We live in suburban Kansas City. We have been renting Motorhomes for several years now for competition barbecue and have decided it is time for us to stop throwing rental money down the drain and buy an RV as we have so much fun together. I’ve been researching for about a year now and we have visited a couple RV and Travel Trailer dealers in Kansas City.

I keep coming back to Airstream as I really love the simple, streamlined decor and it seems we would have to spend over $400,000 to get similar finishes in a class A Motorhome.

My mom and dad have a Tommy Bahama 19.

My biggest issue right now is that our closest dealer is 3 hours away in Springfield Missouri. But there are also dealers in Des Moines, IA and Saint Louis, MO. So I am really trying to narrow down what we want through research and discussion before I decide which dealer to go visit as we will probably visit the dealer with the closest match trailer to what we are looking for.

We have 3 daughters, ages 3, 6 and 9. We will primarily be using the trailer for competition barbecue, and RV park camping with full hookups. Mostly 3 night max trips, though we may go to Colorado occasionally for longer trips.

If I could design the ideal Airstream it would be the bunkhouse Flying Cloud with the Globetrotter finishes. But alas - not an option.

We will wait to buy our tow vehicle once we know which trailer we end up with. Most likely a Ford crew cab with extra towing capacity.

Our biggest questions ... we have had issues with AC keeping up with Kansas summer heat in rental motorhomes. Is that an issue in Airstreams?

We are primarily looking at Globetrotter 27FB Twin (my favorite finishes), International Signature 30RB Twin, or Flying Cloud 30FB Bunk (ideal layout - but lack of solid surface counters is a pretty big deal for competition BBQ).

Are the mechanics of the units, power, etc pretty much the same? Major differences just being finishes, etc? That’s the vibe I got but couldn’t really make heads or tails of it online.

Are we going to feel cramped after primarily using Class C motorhomes with slides? Kitchen prep space is important to us when we are in BBQ cooking mode.

My husband has a CDL with lots of Motorhome driving experience, and our pickup will have trailer backup guidance. Do you think we will be ok pulling these larger trailers as first timers? We want to do our best to buy a long term trailer for us that will still work as the kids grow.

If we end up with one of the twin models, We planned to have the three kids sleep in the twin bedroom at first, with the bigger kids in the beds and the little one in a little floor nest in between the beds- at least while they are young. But I’ve seen where people added a bunk above the heads of the twin beds. I wonder where people have something like that done - we are NOT DIY people.

We are NOT handy, but smart and quick to learn new things! Is Airstream user friendly enough for people like us?

Any other ideas or guidance for us?!

We are SO excited.
Thanks in advance if you can answer any of these questions!!!

Also, there is a large RV show in Kansas City in February. Does anyone know if airstream attends these types of shows? It would save us a long drive!
IrishMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 08:36 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Leawood , Kansas
Also - sorry for the novel!
Old 11-25-2018, 08:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishMom View Post
So I am really trying to narrow down what we want through research and discussion before I decide which dealer to go visit as we will probably visit the dealer with the closest match trailer to what we are looking for.
Go visit them all, make a fun trip out of it. Shopping is half the fun.
Quote:
Our biggest questions ... we have had issues with AC keeping up with Kansas summer heat in rental motorhomes. Is that an issue in Airstreams?
Get two A/C units and 50 amp power.
Quote:
Are the mechanics of the units, power, etc pretty much the same? Major differences just being finishes, etc? That’s the vibe I got but couldn’t really make heads or tails of it online.
Somewhat. The Classic gets more into the "touch screen" tech and different heating system.
Quote:
Are we going to feel cramped after primarily using Class C motorhomes with slides? Kitchen prep space is important to us when we are in BBQ cooking mode.
Yes, but you spend most of your time outside anyway. No matter what units you get, it's a compromise.
Quote:
My husband has a CDL with lots of Motorhome driving experience, and our pickup will have trailer backup guidance. Do you think we will be ok pulling these larger trailers as first timers?
OMG, yes!
Airstreams tow beautifully. I knew in five minutes this was going to be easier than driving a Motorhome.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #4
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
-- snip -- spend over $400,000 to get similar finishes in a class A Motorhome. My mom and dad have a Tommy Bahama 19. -- snip -- We have 3 daughters, ages 3, 6 and 9. We will primarily be using the trailer for competition barbecue, and RV park camping with full hookups. -- snip -- We are NOT handy, but smart and quick to learn new things! Is Airstream user friendly enough for people like us?
A good used 40ft RV Motorhome of high quality can be purchased for 200K, but it will be 10-12 years old. You will have more room and can add some countertops for your cooking. Yes, a nice diesel pusher can be had for that money and much less if you look.

An AS is great for two, but will work for more. The layout is the key.

No RV is user friendly enough. Recent WBCCI rally had the guys trying to get a furnace on a new rig running. However, we have had no major issues and many folks have had same experience. Just understand that when it breaks, you fix it, call the mobile repair service or do without until you take it to the dealer. Learning to be self sufficient gets lots of payback in the RV world.

There are lots of ways to skin the cat that you are considering. AS is an Icon. It's what looks great, because for years we have seen them in really great places. The finishes are nice, but if you look below the surface, you will not find the same level of detail. Good enough, yes, but not what should be expected.

Decide first if a MoHo with gear trailer or a truck with the gear towing a travel trailer for accomodations is best for your travel. Price is adjustable by changing the specification. Do not overlook the possibility of a toad for exploring and errands as that precludes a gear trailer. Focus on utility. Finishes are great, but get them in the house. The most comfort comes from everything working to meet your needs. A good bed, bathroom and galley makes all the difference. Enough storage keeps a small space easy to manage.

As part of this analysis, for what will you use the tow truck day to day. If it's dedicated towing, the MoHo might be better choice. If you really are not handy, then splitting the engine from the RV allows dealer maintenance at less expensive shops. A travel trailer is less complicated if you limit the systems.

Storage - where will you keep it. Can make a difference.

Size - go as small as will work for you in the travel trailer and as big as you can deal with on the MoHo. But in either case consider carefully. Your first will likely not be your last, but it should serve your needs well. Shop carefully.

Three hours to the dealer - that is of no consequence if the dealer has a good service department. Otherwise you may be traveling to the mothership. So investigate the dealer and understand that most business has unhappy customers. If everyone has a bad story, that is a different case.

Good luck with your research. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:08 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Leawood , Kansas
Thank you for all the great thoughts. We don’t have an issue with driving a pickup on a daily basis. I tow our smoker and gear separately with my SUV. And we could use a pickup anyway honestly so I can haul my large format art to my art gallery. So that part is really a non-issue. I’m certain we will learn quite a bit as we go. I did notice the Globetrotter has automatic stabilizers vs manual and a few other nice “features.”
Old 11-25-2018, 06:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Hi,
We also live in KC, so hope that I can be of assistance, as I completely understand what you are asking about as it relates to BBQ Life!

(feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions).

I am going to jump around a bit in my answer.
1-Very very unlikely that any Airstream dealer will be at the RV show here. Last time they were here was about 5 years ago, when things were more in the recession. We looked at Reliable, Bill Thomas, and what was Shorewood in Des Moines before we bought our first Airstream about 4 years ago. We wanted to see what the dealerships were like and also get a feel for their level of service/knowledge. In the end we bought at Bill Thomas in Wentzville (because our first one was a used model that they had). Recommend that you take some time visiting at least 2 dealers to compare and see how you like the drive there and what you think of them. If there is not sufficient inventory at either to look at the models you want, I would think that a trip to a larger dealer would be money well spent before such a large financial decision. Are you planning any vacations soon in any cities that you could include a dealer visit?

2-AC. As you say you will primarily be in full hookup mode, I would only suggest a 50 amp unit with 2 ACs for your needs. 5 campers, and hot humid midwest weather would make that a good decision in my opinion. We have a 25 with 1 AC, and typically only camp with 2 people. We try our best to avoid the Ozarks in summer, but you will be undoubtably heading to heat central. Also cannot strongly enough recommend the $300 Progressive Surge Protector. If the entire campground gets over-plugged-in, and there is resulting low voltage/brown-out conditions it will shut off your power and save your AC compressors. We had ours pinging off and on all night over Memorial Day this year down at Truman Lake.

3-Best Layout. I will say that you have to look at more than the interior, you also need to consider the exterior storage. We have the rear bed twins for several reasons, but the back storage on the outside is HUGE and really holds a lot. Based on your family size I think that either the 30 flying cloud bunk or the FC or International 30 rear bed twin would be the best layout. In that you get the additional prep surface of the table top with the available space of the L sofa still available for people to sit. The straight-run kitchen counter could be easily changed to be NSF stainless in that configuration, and gives more aisle space for people to pass. The 54 gallon water capacity is nice for additional clean up.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 07:58 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Leawood , Kansas
Thank you for all the great ideas! I would not have thought about swapping counters to steel. That’s brilliant. I appreciate it Piggy Bank. Lots of food for thought here!
Old 11-26-2018, 11:36 AM   #8
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Since you asked for opinions...I would think a used or even new 5th wheel might suit your needs better. 3 kids and 2 adults in an AS would be awfully tight, IMO. I have a Classic (30 feet) and I’m by myself. I can’t imagine trying to share it with more than one other person. Some friends have a 5th wheeler and it’s 3 times the size and was significantly less expensive, Their 5er has a huge kitchen and residential refrigerator and separate bedrooms. If you are used to a MOHO then an Airstream is going to feel very small vey quickly. Quality control is no better than any other RV. I’m happy I got my AS vs a motor home but for what you’re needing you might want to take a second look at another RV.
No matter what you choose just remember they all can have problems and when it’s yours you can’t just turn it into the rental company to fix. You might end up waiting weeks for parts to come in or to get an appointment. Keep reading the forum and learning about the different models and the things that don’t go well. Each RV, MoHo’s, travel trailer, 5th wheels have pro’s and con’s, you really do need to walk through each one to see what works best for you. Don’t get discouraged, it took me 2 years to weed through the choices.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I say. A 5th wheel is a better choice for your needs.
Less money for a new one than the larger A$.
As your children get older the A$ will get smaller FAST.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
You tow the smoker and equipment with an SUV. Is the smoker and equipment 12 ft or less long? If so it would fit into a 5th wheel toy hauler which could be better than driving two vehicles.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Have you considered looking at the 30 ft bunk model in AS. Lots of kid room and growth room. The globetrotters are lovely but the sleeping can be a challenge. Call Mike Moser at Seattle Northwest Adventure for the opportunity to see the ultimate airstream models via web. Lots to see before you purchase. We just purchased our 3 rd AS. A 27 serenity with the Ultimate Airstream remodelbtoba grand lounge. SHOP. shop shop
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 05:51 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Blairsville , Georgia
Quote:
Hi!

We are just beginning our journey. We live in suburban Kansas City. We have been renting Motorhomes for several years now for competition barbecue and have decided it is time for us to stop throwing rental money down the drain and buy an RV as we have so much fun together. I’ve been researching for about a year now and we have visited a couple RV and Travel Trailer dealers in Kansas City.

I keep coming back to Airstream as I really love the simple, streamlined decor and it seems we would have to spend over $400,000 to get similar finishes in a class A Motorhome.

My mom and dad have a Tommy Bahama 19.

My biggest issue right now is that our closest dealer is 3 hours away in Springfield Missouri. But there are also dealers in Des Moines, IA and Saint Louis, MO. So I am really trying to narrow down what we want through research and discussion before I decide which dealer to go visit as we will probably visit the dealer with the closest match trailer to what we are looking for.

We have 3 daughters, ages 3, 6 and 9. We will primarily be using the trailer for competition barbecue, and RV park camping with full hookups. Mostly 3 night max trips, though we may go to Colorado occasionally for longer trips.

If I could design the ideal Airstream it would be the bunkhouse Flying Cloud with the Globetrotter finishes. But alas - not an option.

We will wait to buy our tow vehicle once we know which trailer we end up with. Most likely a Ford crew cab with extra towing capacity.

We are primarily looking at Globetrotter 27FB Twin (my favorite finishes), International Signature 30RB Twin, or Flying Cloud 30FB Bunk (ideal layout - but lack of solid surface counters is a pretty big deal for competition BBQ).

My husband has a CDL with lots of Motorhome driving experience, and our pickup will have trailer backup guidance. Do you think we will be ok pulling these larger trailers as first timers? We want to do our best to buy a long term trailer for us that will still work as the kids grow.

If we end up with one of the twin models, We planned to have the three kids sleep in the twin bedroom at first, with the bigger kids in the beds and the little one in a little floor nest in between the beds- at least while they are young. But I’ve seen where people added a bunk above the heads of the twin beds. I wonder where people have something like that done - we are NOT DIY people.

We are NOT handy, but smart and quick to learn new things! Is Airstream user friendly enough for people like us?

Any other ideas or guidance for us?!

We are SO excited.

Thanks in advance if you can answer any of these questions!!!

Also, there is a large RV show in Kansas City in February. Does anyone know if airstream attends these types of shows? It would save us a long drive!

Hate to say it....we love our AS and we have two Children, Oliver and Rhett.....
As the other were saying a fifth wheel can be bought for the same or less money as a new Airstream and you will get much more room and a much larger kitchen.
A lot of fifth wheels have two bath rooms in them which would be great with kids.
However you should go shop and see what would fit your clan better. I would even suggest you go to several dealers and look at what there is out there.
Oh, by the way Oliver and Rhett weigh 18 pounds, and have their own suite in our 27FBT.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2280.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	328625Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2346.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	328626Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2519.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	305.3 KB
ID:	328624
DSteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:07 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
We’ve got a 30’ bunkhouse (2004) with a boy & girl—11/12 yrs. old. It can feel cramped at times, but not an issue. It can be a bit tight, especially in the kitchen for meal prep. Here’s my recommendation—and it’ll be the way I do it next time—consider one of the handful of few knowledgeable Airstream builders around the country to start with a late 70’s or so trailer with a good shell and make one that fits your family and needs. It’d be ideal to have one that’s in good condition inside too, so maybe the bath and fridge could work in the new layout and let you spend that money elsewhere. Heck, with a CDL maybe a 34’ is a better fit. Not like you’re looking to hit every small CCC-era national park every year. I’d look for the trailer at one of the Airstream-only campgrounds/terraports around the country. Generally well maintained units and possibly kept under a roof, too.

It’s easy to say that when you’ve been through a rebuild like ours needed, and I didn’t want to have one built thinking it’d be more than I wanted to tackle. Turns out I would’ve saved a bit of money and trouble and gotten exactly what we needed if I had. Hard to put an estimate of cost for me, but I think saving 30-40K over new seems realistic.

Good luck!!! We love KC, and have very nearly relocated from Houston a couple times!

Dave
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:31 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Leawood , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstreet View Post
You tow the smoker and equipment with an SUV. Is the smoker and equipment 12 ft or less long? If so it would fit into a 5th wheel toy hauler which could be better than driving two vehicles.
Unfortunately it’s not about 14 long and 6 high. It’s pretty big. I could tow it behind a class a, but would still need a passenger vehicle.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:34 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Leawood , Kansas
Well you guys all have me back in class A Tiffin Open Road 36UA camp. I feel like a dog chasing my tail - never able to make up my mind. 😂😂😂
Old 11-28-2018, 07:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Well you guys all have me back in class A Tiffin Open Road 36UA camp. I feel like a dog chasing my tail - never able to make up my mind. ������

We don't have you in anything. Remember it is your decision.

Before you buy anything you might consider where it will be parked when not on the road. My trailer is sized to the maximum trailer dimension to fit the available parking space at the house. My tow vehicle is sized for the trailer, but also for the boat trailers and utility trailers. Although most of the owners in my WBCCI clubs seem to be over 50 empty nesters. People have airstreams with kids. I've seen 'em. Kids will adapt. I will say this that most motor homes have WAY more storage "down under" than the Airstream will ever have. It all depends upon what you want to deal with for the end result.

I don't know about your area shows. I can tell you that the Tampa RV show had 1200 units on display last year of all makes and models and manufacturers. RV One, aka Tampa RV , had just about every model there plus a factory representative. They sold 50 units. It would be a good show to go to in January.

Look up some of those bigger Airstream dealers nearer to KC and ask 'em about shows in your area.
Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:06 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overstreet View Post

I don't know about your area shows. I can tell you that the Tampa RV show had 1200 units on display last year of all makes and models and manufacturers. RV One, aka Tampa RV , had just about every model there plus a factory representative. They sold 50 units. It would be a good show to go to in January.

Hi IrishMom,

We've used the Tampa RV show each January, three different times now, in order to view & compare different RV models and types, with one another. As mentioned above, Tampa RV brings a ton of Airstream models with them each year to the show. In fact, last year, this is where we traded our 2015 Newmar Dutch Star for a 2018 Airstream.

I think the Flying Cloud 30FB bunk would serve you quite well with the kids, after getting your kitchen countertops resurfaced with stainless steel.

'Yes', for the most part, it's just the trim line and materials that change, as you move across the various Airstream lines, but in the Classic, as already mentioned above, you get touch screen technology, Smart connectivity and a different heating system. And they tow extremely well.

And even though an Airstream is not as roomy as a 5th wheel or a Class A, with bunk rooms, it's style is truly "iconic Americana"..... timeless..... and IMHO, would 'enhance & add character' to your 'BBQ competition motif,' as well.......... and would lend itself to some great future marketing & adverting photos, logo artwork, etc., for your BBQ hobby / small business (?!).

We know a family, with two early teen children & a pet, traveling full-time in a FC 30 FB Bunk, and they love it. The kids have adapted well and are very happy traveling & living in their AS.

But, whatever you ultimately decide to get..... do get two air conditioners in it, for sure! Otherwise, it will never have a fighting (Irish) chance of keeping up with the summer heat and multiple people inside.

Maybe you could plan a 'winter escape' trip down to Tampa for the weekend in late January for the RV show.....?

Good luck with your decision.

Happy Holidays.