Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Black Widow

Out looking at LP tank covers and found this little lady. Just a little reminder to watch out for these guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-302683504.png
Views:	188
Size:	735.7 KB
ID:	137967  
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:08 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1988 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
Cumming , Georgia
Nasty little things. We have lots of them around our water troughs for the horses here in Georgia. Good reminder!
Djmclean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
The biggest one I have ever seen in my life was at a dump station...she was the size of my thumb...and hiding on the was spigot mount...

One good thing, it's not to hard to notice them by the type of web they weave...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
The biggest one I have ever seen in my life was at a dump station...she was the size of my thumb...and hiding on the was spigot mount...

One good thing, it's not to hard to notice them by the type of web they weave...
Yes. Usually sloppy webs. I killed about 30-40 of them last week on my rock walls.
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Not having to ordinarily worry about poisonous spiders up in the Great White North, I'm glad we didn't run across any of these on our recent trip down south earlier this month!
Mrs. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
We are having an inordinate amount of all insects....is it the heat? It is Texas, but I have had to watch out for both black widows and brown recluse spiders....closely, this past month or so. Same kind of webs and like similar hidey holes.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
The reason why I'm always setting off bug bombs in our traylah. And the reason why Mr. B. has to pull the mattress out before every trip so I can make sure there are no webs or eight-legged monsters in Ezzie's bedchambers. I dig through everything, spraying, lighting, etc. Won't leave towels, sheets, etc.

Damn spiders. And ants. And mice. And most of all, the most hated of all, snakes! (We've never had one of those that I know of, and I hope, please Lord, that we never do!) Anything that isn't human or canine in our traylah dies the most horrible death I can think up for it. I always hope rumors of the gruesome tragedy will reach its friends and family.

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #8
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Most spiders are harmless and it has been said you are never more than 8 feet away from one. They eat other bugs, so killing them may not reduce the total bug count at all. Spraying all that insecticide is probably more harmful to you than the chance of meeting a deadly bug.

I haven't seen a black widow for more than 55 years and that was in NYC. My father was about to walk into the web one evening, I was right behind him and pulled him back before he did. I'm told where we live now, black widows and scorpions are found, but I've never seen a scorpion either. And no rattlers. Am I in an alternate universe? Mountain lions are another matter—one killed 2 sheep down the road a couple of week ago.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
LawChick, I love how your tagline reads "Live the life you've dreamed" ... which seems to be crawling frantically around your trailer killing things.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Most spiders are harmless and it has been said you are never more than 8 feet away from one. They eat other bugs, so killing them may not reduce the total bug count at all. Spraying all that insecticide is probably more harmful to you than the chance of meeting a deadly bug.
Gene
Oh, Gene---you are always so very calm and rational.

We don't like spiders, that's the thing. It's all those legs.

Don't like to see them or have them sneak up on us nor walk into their webs in the semi-dark. We don't CARE if they're harmless!!

Maggie
Old 08-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #11

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We have black widows here, but they have always been small. The biggest one I ever saw was in Ashland, OR. It had made it's home on the rules board at a campground we stayed at, so it was the first thing you saw when you got there, and it was HUGE - made me want to keep on driving!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
In the bellypan

Found when pulling the bellypan off. It was a big one. made me real careful with the rest. There were no more.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3619.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	138064  
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Las Vegas , Nevada
Black Widows are very common here in So. NV.
We were always told the smaller ones can do more harm and if cornered they will jump on you.
The only place I like to see them is squashed on the bottom of my boot.
345bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Spiders (some are real big!) are very common here, along with scorpions, snakes, lizards,and yes, the occasional mountain lion in the back yard.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMGP4184.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	602.0 KB
ID:	138108   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP1381.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	933.0 KB
ID:	138109  

Name:	IMGP0583.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	138110  
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:56 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

I haven't seen a black widow for more than 55 years and that was in NYC. My father was about to walk into the web one evening, I was right behind him and pulled him back before he did. I'm told where we live now, black widows and scorpions are found, but I've never seen a scorpion either. And no rattlers. Am I in an alternate universe? Mountain lions are another matter—one killed 2 sheep down the road a couple of week ago.

Gene

we've got black widows and rattlers and mountain lions (oh my) around here. i would bet you got 'em over there too..you've just been lucky not to see them. i've seen the widows and lions but have yet to run into a rattler. but i know alot of people who have. in fact my wife was out walking the dogs by the river one day and came up on one that had a ground squirrel that the dogs decided they wanted to take from it...nobody got tagged in the mayhem that followed...thank god
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Black widow webs are easy to identify. Not only are they somewhat chaotic in appearance like a random collection of lines, but they are much, much stronger than other webs. The web feels like tiny steel wires. The web was harvested by housewives in WWII and sent to the government to make reticals for various types of optical sights. Their venom, unlike most spider venom, is a neuro-toxin.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #17
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Oh my Goodness. I would just DIE if I ever saw one in person. We live up in Seattle and don't have them here. Oiy!
Old 08-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5MM
Oh my Goodness. I would just DIE if I ever saw one in person. We live up in Seattle and don't have them here. Oiy!
Come to my house, In late June and into August is breeding season here in Northern California. The big females are out on every corner of the house. Even though we spray, I go out on "widow hunts" after dark and with a flashlight and a shoe. You havn't truly lived a full life till you "feel something on your leg", only to have the wife tell you..."oh my God, you have a black widow on your leg, and she's the biggest one I've ever seen!!!" fortunately, they are usually shy and only come out at night. Otherwise they stay put in cool, dark places...like old tires, under your house, in your Airstream's chassis. Oh, and only the females are deadly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1478054729.png
Views:	109
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	138150  
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 05:53 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Great picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Come to my house, In late June and into August is breeding season here in Northern California. The big females are out on every corner of the house. Even though we spray, I go out on "widow hunts" after dark and with a flashlight and a shoe. You havn't truly lived a full life till you "feel something on your leg", only to have the wife tell you..."oh my God, you have a black widow on your leg, and she's the biggest one I've ever seen!!!" fortunately, they are usually shy and only come out at night. Otherwise they stay put in cool, dark places...like old tires, under your house, in your Airstream's chassis. Oh, and only the females are deadly.
WOW!that is one ugly black widow.Did you scream like a crazy madman when your wife told you about the black widow on your leg?I know I would have!
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM View Post
Black widow webs are easy to identify. Not only are they somewhat chaotic in appearance like a random collection of lines, but they are much, much stronger than other webs. The web feels like tiny steel wires. The web was harvested by housewives in WWII and sent to the government to make reticals for various types of optical sights. Their venom, unlike most spider venom, is a neuro-toxin.
Sometimes it's the web that gives you the clue to look further. The tiny little baby spiders don't look any special, but that strong wire chaotic web will make you more diligent in remove them.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote