Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2005, 05:24 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Best newsletter software? Clipart?

I'm doing the newsletter for our unit, and right now it's really simple, but I have a feeling we might want to jazz it up a bit. Right now I'm just doing it in MS Word because that was handy, but it doesn't give me a lot of options for doing columns and illustrations. Does anyone else do newsletters, and what software do you like?

I'm sure Macs have better publishing software, but unfortunately I'm limited to PCs.

Also, does anyone have Airstream clipart, line drawings, etc for using in their newsletter? Know where I can find some?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 06:26 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Also, does anyone have Airstream clipart, line drawings, etc for using in their newsletter? Know where I can find some?
Check with the WBCCI head office. I know that there is some clip art available. If I can find my box of stuff that I have post move I think I have a WBCCI Media kit with logos, line art, and pics. If I find it I will be happy to email whatever I can.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 06:48 PM   #3
Argosy/Airstream since 79

1989 29' Excella
Newport , Oregon
Not only is Stephanie doing the newsletter for our unit -

She's Doing a Great Job!

Jim
OreExcella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:22 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Aw, thanks

They roped me into doing it next year too, so I'm hoping to find some software that will make it go a little more smoothly and make it look good too.

Brett, I'll see what I can get form the HQ. If you find anything (I am finally unpacked from our move 7 years ago, so I won't hold my breath on you finding anything for a while), feel free to send it on.

Old 07-29-2005, 08:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
There is a media kit that is distributed to each Unit...somebody in your unit should have it, either the last newsletter publisher or the President. If you can't get a copy, I'm sure headquarters will send a copy upon request by either you or your President. I'll see if I can find mine too...I know our newsletter person has a copy.

Also, she uses MicroSoft Publisher...seems to be pretty intuitive, as she hadn't used it before last year and it seems to do the trick. Our board purchased the program last year for her (and future) use. I believe it was less than $200

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:14 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Printmaster is good. Gives you alot of clip art and difffernet options for layouts.

Dawn
early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:16 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1976 26' Argosy 26
New Florence , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to mkeith54 Send a message via Yahoo to mkeith54
Microsoft Publisher

Of all of the Publisher programs out there that I have tested (that's a bunch) Microsoft publisher is probably the most intutive and easiest to learn. Also once you get the newletter made use the Adobe web site to convert it to a PDF and you can email copies to your members.
mkeith54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:59 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Stef, I would also suggest that you still tinker with Word. Go to the MS office website and snoop around their templates pages. You may have an older version, but now they have better column and graphics capabilities. I just asked my wife, who used to do the customer newsletter for her work, and she said they used InDesign, which I think is successor to PageMaker. However, she said, Word can just about do it all and they just used InDesign 'cause that was the complany policy.

Those templates at the MS office website are pretty powerful and pretty extensive. I've used them for invites and such, so you may be able to do this without spending extra cash.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 08:42 AM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Thanks, I'll check it out. I am running an old version of Word, I think it's '98! It's been that long since I got a free copy at a MS seminar, and I'm too cheap to go shell out the $$ for a new version.

Old 07-30-2005, 08:59 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Stef, even a 97/98 version should do columns. However, here's a tip: Do you have a student in the family? I'm not even sure you need a student to do this: Buy the "student " version of office and it costs $124.00 and has full versions of Excel, Word and Powerpoint 2003. You can load it on up to 3 PCs in your household, should you have three for some reason.
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:47 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

newsletters

Steph - I've seen your newsletter and it looks like you are doing a pretty good job. MS word has all the features you need to do a good newsletter.Just have to figure them out and what works best for you. My main comment on newsletters is that what you use to format them is not near as important as the content. No matter how great the finished product looks, if there is nothing of interst nobody will read it. WBCCI does have some guidelines for content but each Unit has their own preferences.

As to the media kit, I didn't find the pictures or clip art very useful. There is some good trivia and facts that can be used in newsletters. Most of the text portions can be found at the following URL.

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/sn...info/index.htm

As others have said, whatever your primary method for the newsletter, writing to Adobe PDF files is a good idea. You can check out how our Unit uses PDF to distribute the newsletters. We have also set it up so people can subscribe to the newsletter on-line. As for content, we chose to keep it stricktly Airstream related - no jokes, filler, unrelated clip art, recipes etc. Other units prefer more variety but this works for us.

http://sierranevadaairstreams.org/sn...005/index.html

If you are interested in more info about communication in general and newsletters you might check out some of the articles at the following URL.

http://leipper.org/leadership/phpBB2...50b5c897be6339

Keep up the good work and have fun with your newsletter.
Sierra Nevada Unit #157
https://sierranevadaairstreams.org
SierraBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:03 AM   #12
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I'm a Word Perfect fan. It does all these functions in an intuitive way, had a PDF converter and The pro version comes woth great clip art, voice recognition software and other cools stuff.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:06 AM   #13
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Corel Print Office

I bought a copy of Corel Print Office 5 at the Region 9 rally flea market for $5. The seller had received it as a door prize at the Computer Club meeting at a prior International Rally and had never used it. Best $5 I have spent in a long time.

I have just played with it a bit, but I am quite impressed. There is an entire book and CD of clip art. that comes with it as well as dozens of templates for various layouts. The clip art is generic, but I saw plenty of art that would be useful in a unit newsletter.

In our unit, the President does the newsletter. My wife will be Presicent in 2006 and that means I'll be doing it. I expect to use the Corel for the task.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 02:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
PDF creater

To make PDF files I would recommend an open source program like PDFCreator. I have used it for a long time and have never had a problem. It is free – no ads or secret watermarks. It is open source.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote