Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2009, 12:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wellington , Nevada
Best Airstream layout and why? 28 footer or close?

Hello, although I am not new, I have been on the fence about purchasing an airstream. I build hotrods ont he side in a alrge shop that I have and although not a wood worker, I can do some work and built my 4200 sq ft shop and mother in law, so I am not without some tools and skills.

I am now situated where I want an airstream, in the range of 26 foot or so, but am heading out to look at a 28 footer for $1800 that a friend of mine has. Its a late 60s version and I dont have any moere than that at the moment. I did take a quick look at it a year or so ago and noticed a dent int he corner that bothered me at the time. I did not look inside at the time as it was locked. I may be able to get it a bit cheaper. Its a 28 foot, rear bath and he has a clear title, which is always a plus.

I know there are issues with rear bath mods from reading on here, what should I be looking for? Also, which layout is th emost desirable and what mod???? which has the least amount of frame or major issues with respect to layout.??

Thanks, Dave
LAWFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
28' Ambassador

We have a 68 28' Ambassador and it has a rear bath, mid twins layout....we are restoring it and could move stuff around but are keeping the same floorplan.....you will probably need new axles and it is likely the sub floor in the bathroom is rotted....We think it is a very good layout....the living area is huge....good luck with your purchase.....paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote