Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2006, 11:52 AM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
BBQ with Rich

Rich Luhr, publisher of Airstream Life, will be swinging through the Austin/San Antonio area later this month after visiting Big Bend.

We have arranged to meet for dinner with any interested area Airstreamers at the Salt Lick restaurant in Driftwood at 7PM on Wednesday, February 22nd.

If you would like to come, please PM me with how many persons so that I can arrange for us to be together in the restaurant. If we get a big enough turnout, they may move us to the other building where will be quieter and easier to sit together.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
What a nice opportunity to visit with the Luhrs in person! After listening to the interview with Rich and Eleanor about fulltiming on the most recent podcast from The VAP I think you had better get a bigger place for lunch. Wish I wasn't so far away, I'd love to join the fun.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:21 PM   #3
Contributing Member

Don't worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
I think you had better get a bigger place for lunch.
The Salt Lick can accommodate a couple hundred at a time. Tour busses stop there nowdays. I suspect that will be plenty of space for us, especially on a weekday night.
WBCCI #9632
Old 01-17-2006, 10:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Talking Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
The Salt Lick can accommodate a couple hundred at a time. Tour busses stop there nowdays. I suspect that will be plenty of space for us, especially on a weekday night.
In my mind's eye I was seeing a table for six. LOL Are they famous for Barbecue? I know that is one of Rich's favorites.

photography
Old 01-17-2006, 10:36 PM   #5
Contributing Member

Quote:
In my mind's eye I was seeing a table for six. LOL Are they famous for Barbecue? I know that is one of Rich's favorites.
The Salt Lick is known far and wide. It originally was open only a couple of days a week perhaps 30 years ago. It is currently about the best known restaurant in this area. They ship BBQ all ove rthe country. Lots of ambience with the big open pit right in the dining room. Perhaps not the absolute best BBQ in the area, but close to it with a lot of atmosphere.

BTW, it is the closest restaurant to my house ... about 6 miles.

By the way, attendees, cash only, no credit cards.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-14-2006, 01:12 PM   #6
Contributing Member

Come on Central Texas Airstreamers!

This is a great opportunity to not only eat great BBQ, but also to spend an evening with Rich Luhr and a bunch of fellow Airstreamers.

To repeat the original post in this thread:
Quote:
Rich Luhr, publisher of Airstream Life, will be swinging through the Austin/San Antonio area later this month after visiting Big Bend.

We have arranged to meet for dinner with any interested area Airstreamers at the Salt Lick restaurant in Driftwood at 7PM on Wednesday, February 22nd.

If you would like to come, please PM me with how many persons so that I can arrange for us to be together in the restaurant. If we get a big enough turnout, they may move us to the other building where will be quieter and easier to sit together.
I will be at Big Bend all week and return the 20th. Please PM me, email me, or respond here if you can come so that I know roughly how many will be coming.

BTW: The Salt Lick does not take credit cards. probably the result of being on a rural phone system.
WBCCI #9632
Old 02-23-2006, 09:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
John, how did it go? Wish I lived close enough to join you. Seems I missed out on a great time. I see Rich has a nice picture of dinner up on the Tour of America weblog. I'll have to keep following the schedule and try to meet up with the Luhrs as they travel by.

http://www.tour.airstreamlife.com/weblog/

photography
Old 02-23-2006, 09:13 PM   #8
Contributing Member

Great

Quote:
John, how did it go? Wish I lived close enough to join you. Seems I missed out on a great time. I see Rich has a nice picture of dinner up on the Tour of America weblog. I'll have to keep following the schedule and try to meet up with the Luhrs as they travel by.

http://www.tour.airstreamlife.com/weblog/
We had an enjoyable evening. I have received several emails from folks saying they had a great time.
WBCCI #9632