Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2002, 08:57 AM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Lightbulb Battery lock

If you have to leave your A/S in storage as I do, the exposed battery is a prime target for thieves. I figured an $80 battery was worth a little security.

I pop-riveted 3 "footman's loops" to the battery box; on each of the forward and rear sides and in the center of the top and through large washers on the inside of the box. I then swaged thimbles on a piece of aircraft cable, making it just long enough to accept the hoop of a padlock. The cable runs through the loops and under the crossmembers of the tongue.

The cable can be cut with some effort, but no one can just pick up my battery and walk away with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_lock.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	907  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 09:08 AM   #2
Contributing Member

Another look

This shows the hardware a little closer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_lock_2.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	908  
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-23-2002, 09:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Camera

What type of camera are you using? It takes really nice pic's and I'm currently looking for a digital camera.

I'm surprised that you Int'l doesn't have battery compartments. You did do a nice job in securing them!!!
John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 09:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

your Int'l .........
Old 11-23-2002, 09:18 AM   #5
Contributing Member

Photos

The photos are all taken with a Sony DSC-S70 CyberShot and then resized and adjusted for brightness and contrast with PhotoShop Elements. I take all shots at 1600x1200 so they have good clarity when reduced for the web.
WBCCI #9632
Old 11-23-2002, 09:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Thumbs up Nice Job

I hadn't given it much thought until I saw your pic but I really like the idea of an exposed battery compartment. An enclosed battery compartment, while neat in exterior apperance and harder to steal, often leads to a neglected battery. Out of site, out of mind. Having it right there where you have to look at it while hitching up, should remind one to check the darn thing once in awhile! Looks good.
Randy
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2002, 09:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

You're right about checking the batteries!

Overlander,
I've only been fulltiming since Feb 2002 and when I 1st got the trailer I checked everything and the batteries were new and in good condition.
As I was traveling out west in April, I had some cold nights in WY, 15 degrees at night. One night I forget to turn the converter back on prior to going to bed and ran the batteries down. When I finally checked them out in B.C., one was completely dry. So I learnt a $80 lesson about checking the batteries. I check them monthly now!
John
Old 11-23-2002, 10:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
While it probably isn't as much of a problem in the south, an exposed battery is a cold battery... and cold batteries don't provide as much output. I like having the battery compartments in the living area of the trailer. On cold evenings we open the drawar below the couch so more heat can get back to them.
Old 11-23-2002, 10:45 AM   #9
Contributing Member

Outside vs inside battery

An inside battery is great on a bigger trailer, but on a 22' trailer, whatever comes in, something else has to go out.

I see 2 reasons for the battery on the International A-frame:

1: Space: This is not a wide body trailer and there is only about 19' of shell to pack things into. The AS has just sufficient storage to make it more than a weekender.

2: Balance: With the bathroom galley, black, and gray tanks behind the axle, the heavy battery way out on the tiongue provides a good counterbalance.
WBCCI #9632