Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2020, 10:18 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 19' Globetrotter
Elgin , Texas
Basic Camping Etiquette In A Post-Pandemic World

Airstreaming & caravaning used to be so simple. You plan a road trip, you pack your rig, and you go. But in our post-pandemic world, we should consider an added layer of etiquette basics when camping. Common neighborly courtesies like respecting campsite boundaries & minimizing noise are still advisable. But now, all of us will have to go a step further to nurture neighborliness and reap the rewards of life after the lock down. As Airstream ambassadors, here’s what we need to preach and practice from arrival to departure.

C-19 has made us keenly aware of how one person’s behavior impacts an entire community. As we shed the shackles of confinement and hit the road, respect for other campers’ outdoor experiences is more important than ever. America’s travel industry experts predict that the post-pandemic domestic travel market will rebound long before international globetrotting does and as a result, Airstreamers will hit the road sooner than later.

Campground Courtesy:
#1 - Speeding in the campground. Obey posted campground speed limits. Going slower minimizes noise, decreases road dust, and lowers the risk of tragic collisions with wildlife and people.
#2 - Teach or kids & grand kids boundaries by explaining that each person’s campsite is their own “house” & cutting through yards is not allowed.
#3 - Being bad pet parents. Pick up pet waste & use a non-retractable, flat leash on walks to set a good example. Also, cats & dogs of all sizes are easy prey for fierce critters on the hunt for dinner, so don’t leave your fur kid unattended outside of your RV, even in an exercise pen.
#4 - Create a cone of silence at your campsite. Wear wireless headphones. Minimize generator use. Party respectfully. Don't idle your tow vehicle unnecessarily.
#5 - Embrace dark skies. Take time after dark to see how your RV lighting impacts your neighbors.
#6 - Clean up at the dump station. Wear gloves. Be efficient. Don’t take any longer than you need to effectively empty your holding tanks without making a mess. And don’t leave a mess
#7 - Give campers space. Avoid parking right next to other campers if additional spots are available.
# 8 - Maintain our camps in an orderly manner & leave them in the same way.

These small acts of kindness influence so much more than our personal experience. They make us happier people who want to return the favor. Paying that forward is the least we can do in a world that needs joy more than ever before.

Ol Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
As a kid, my dad made extremely sure that he taught me at least one thing: think about the people around you. That simple notion covers just about everything on the list. It could probably be truncated even more to state simply: think. It's always amazing to me how many people don't do that. I am constantly astounded by how much people think about no one but themselves. I'm looking at you, makeup-laden lady texting on the phone in her Land Rover sitting at the green light.
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Bob View Post
Airstreaming & caravaning used to be so simple. You plan a road trip, you pack your rig, and you go. But in our post-pandemic world, we should consider an added layer of etiquette basics ......... [snip]

These small acts of kindness influence so much more than our personal experience. They make us happier people who want to return the favor. Paying that forward is the least we can do in a world that needs joy more than ever before.

I agree with all this but the items you've noted are already current practice for conscientious campers.

In addition to being good neighbors in the traditional ways perhaps we should be considering how we use public facilities (bathhouses, water fountains, etc) dumpstations, dispose of trash and use picnic tables, how we connect/disconnect to water and power at campsites.

As the weather improves and travel season beckons, I've been considering what new steps are needed when camping. For instance - hooking up to park services... There was a time when I ran the fresh water for a moment to clear out critters and then hooked up. Now, I think that disinfecting the tap handle, electrical box and picnic table are going to be needed as well. I don't want to go camping encased in nitrile and enveloped in a cloud of disinfectant fumes but believe that it's reasonable to take a little extra care moving forward.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 04:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
It was just recently announced that the sun and UV light kills the virus within an hour or two on exposed surfaces.

Great personal hygiene goes a long way as well. Imagine a world that people stay home if they do not feel 100%. Sure, you can be a symptomatic but you can also not be. We full time and have found that this stuff doesn’t change our routines very much. Our biggest concern comes from other people — specifically when we go shopping.

How simple would everyone’s concerns be if everyone washed their hands frequently as well as disinfected often when using public spaces like grocery stores. I’d be more concerned about how many people have touched the cart or door then I would be about a camp site.

Just my two sense.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 07:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
I've always cleaned the water valve and electrical boxes. Most people take care when hooking up to not contaminate the water supply or surroundings when hooking up. After all, they are going to use those services. The problem comes when they leave. I've watched campers unhook the sewer line and wearing the same plastic gloves, shut off the water, and unhook the electric. The next camper comes and everything is unsafe.

I use to carry Clorox wipes (can even get them now but a spray bottle with Clorox and water will do) and would wipe everything down before I started hooking up. I also clean everything before I leave. It just makes good sense to look out for the next user of the site.

Most of us are all learning how to clean and sterilize now. Our world has changed.

We never use the campground restrooms and showers. Our reasoning was why? We have a perfectly clean environment in our own "house". I am betting the days of campground showers are gone for a few years. Who's gonna clean them? Who is going to use them?

I can't say how the women fare today, but men are absolute pigs in a restroom! How many of us guys go in to stand in a stall and the gentleman (I use that term loosely) next to you as you walk to the sink, finishes, and walks out the door. This happens a lot. Sometimes you just hope the restroom door swings open.

x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\101970\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\x/x\/x\x/x\x/x
Tom & Doty
2019 Airstream Classic 30 Twin
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 09:30 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I agree with all this but the items you've noted are already current practice for conscientious campers.

In addition to being good neighbors in the traditional ways perhaps we should be considering how we use public facilities (bathhouses, water fountains, etc) dumpstations, dispose of trash and use picnic tables, how we connect/disconnect to water and power at campsites.

As the weather improves and travel season beckons, I've been considering what new steps are needed when camping. For instance - hooking up to park services... There was a time when I ran the fresh water for a moment to clear out critters and then hooked up. Now, I think that disinfecting the tap handle, electrical box and picnic table are going to be needed as well. I don't want to go camping encased in nitrile and enveloped in a cloud of disinfectant fumes but believe that it's reasonable to take a little extra care moving forward.

We were fortunate to get in a shorty at one of the Texas state parks the week before they closed. We had never done so before, but the Mrs was ready this time to sanitize the water handle and hose connection.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:45 AM   #7
Airstream Trippin

2020 33' Classic
Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Bob View Post
Airstreaming & caravaning used to be so simple. You plan a road trip, you pack your rig, and you go. But in our post-pandemic world, we should consider an added layer of etiquette basics when camping. Common neighborly courtesies like respecting campsite boundaries & minimizing noise are still advisable. But now, all of us will have to go a step further to nurture neighborliness and reap the rewards of life after the lock down. As Airstream ambassadors, here’s what we need to preach and practice from arrival to departure.

C-19 has made us keenly aware of how one person’s behavior impacts an entire community. As we shed the shackles of confinement and hit the road, respect for other campers’ outdoor experiences is more important than ever. America’s travel industry experts predict that the post-pandemic domestic travel market will rebound long before international globetrotting does and as a result, Airstreamers will hit the road sooner than later.

Campground Courtesy:
#1 - Speeding in the campground. Obey posted campground speed limits. Going slower minimizes noise, decreases road dust, and lowers the risk of tragic collisions with wildlife and people.
#2 - Teach or kids & grand kids boundaries by explaining that each person’s campsite is their own “house” & cutting through yards is not allowed.
#3 - Being bad pet parents. Pick up pet waste & use a non-retractable, flat leash on walks to set a good example. Also, cats & dogs of all sizes are easy prey for fierce critters on the hunt for dinner, so don’t leave your fur kid unattended outside of your RV, even in an exercise pen.
#4 - Create a cone of silence at your campsite. Wear wireless headphones. Minimize generator use. Party respectfully. Don't idle your tow vehicle unnecessarily.
#5 - Embrace dark skies. Take time after dark to see how your RV lighting impacts your neighbors.
#6 - Clean up at the dump station. Wear gloves. Be efficient. Don’t take any longer than you need to effectively empty your holding tanks without making a mess. And don’t leave a mess
#7 - Give campers space. Avoid parking right next to other campers if additional spots are available.
# 8 - Maintain our camps in an orderly manner & leave them in the same way.

Amen!!!
Gigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #8
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Well, I didn't know those were additional etiquettes. I have always done those things and have thought my kids how to be a good camper.

But I guess some have to be reminded.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:55 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Some additional suggestions:

1. Minimize contact with park employees when arriving by paying in advance. Eliminates the need to handle credit cards, pens and reduces the time spent in close proximity to others.

2. If you use park restrooms, leave them cleaner than they were when you entered. Take sanitizer wipes and spray with you and use them on restroom handles, faucets and other surfaces you may come in contact with.

3. Respect the space of others and demand they respect your space. Report violations to park hosts or rangers. They’re impacted, too and may appreciate the extra vigilance from their campers. This is now more than just courtesy, it could save lives.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 09:49 AM   #10
Matchbox

1999 25' Safari
Surrey , British Columbia
Ol Bob:
May I put your Courtesy Rules into our next newsletter?
Arlene Matches (#7403), Editor of BC Unit News
Old 04-29-2020, 10:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Ol Bob,

That is a pretty complete and concise list of camping etiquette. Covers most of our complaints.

I think Turk said it well when he just said if people would just think. (And not just about you or your group)

Janet mentioned that these are likely already being done by conscientious campers. If that were so none of this would bother anybody because it wouldn't be happening :-)

I would say that we see these occur on each camping trip, unless we're boondocking and not so much at Rally's, except the dump stations which we don't use at this point.

On the rare occasion that you point something out to somebody they right away say, I never do this, it's just once, it's a friendly dog, it's biodegradable, or it's just... insert whatever excuse.

Had a fella idle his truck almost all day one time at a state campground. He was in one of those gorgeous gigantic motor coaches and just forgot he turned the truck on in the morning. His truck was pretty quiet and luckily the wind was blowing the other way that day. I finally went over there to say something. I tried not to stomp over harrumphing. He was very nice and said thanks for letting them know as he likely would have gone to bed with it still running. Go figure.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:14 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 19' Globetrotter
Elgin , Texas
Yes please do
Thx.
Ol Bob
Ol Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 02:05 PM   #13
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
A Mask is important to you and others

Let's see, maybe one add - WEAR A MASK. We should not be traveling without N95 or better masks and face shields, but it may be a long time before that requirement can be satisfied. Isolated camping is a less demanding application that may well be served with a multi-layer cotton mask, but only at the risk of being infected if social distancing is broken at any time. Your risk, your reward.

Note - we had some folks attempt to enter the open door of a rental RV that they thought was "for sale". They were newbies to the shopping process and were generally clueless. Keep your doors closed and when unattended, lock it up.

Hope to see your smile down the road in your shiny. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:43 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
A suggestion - Not COVID Related

I would like to see campers who fail to show up for a reservation to cancel them. In overcrowded CA, too many times we have come across reserved campsites that go empty because reservations are not cancelled. It is next to impossible to reserve popular camp sites because people make them 6 mos in advance and then perhaps cant make the trip. OK, I get it that if they paid for it and they don't show up then they still get charged. The point is that they are taking away spots that others could use to enjoy.
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 05:38 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Glendale , California
Basic Camping Etiquette In A Post-Pandemic World

I don’t approve of the practice, but lots of folks out here reserve not only the period of time they want, but some number of days before (especially if it’s a special weekend, etc) to be assured they get their spot in camp. They have no intention of showing up early, so I agree that they ought to be nice and in a timely manner cancel the unnecessary days- and suck up the cancellation fees that may entail.
MomcatA is offline   Reply With Quote