Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-06-2003, 05:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Talking Bambi's back in our driveway!

Well, after a nasty and lengthy winter, we finally brought Bambi home Saturday morning from her "winter home" and parked her in our driveway. I can hardly wait to get in there and reload all our paraphinalia so we can take off on a moment's notice. I'd forgotten how much I love this trailer until I got into it again.

We took Bambi to have her dewinterized (okay, I know we're big chickens) so everything would be perfect for us. We'll just need to fill 'er up with fresh water and then take a brief overnight trip close to home just to make sure all systems are "go" before attempting a longer trip this year. Our first real trip will be our annual Jackapalooza, being held this year in Hocking Hills (Logan OH). This is a Jack Russell Terrier event where we get together with terrier lovers from all over the world! We do agility, lure coursing, racing, etc. This year I'm doing the agility demo and the clicker training clinic.

Oh...sorry to ramble on. I'm just sooooo excited to get out there again, and I knew you'd understand!

Hope to run into (not literally, of course ) some of you this summer!

I'm attaching my favorite picture of Tom and our Bambi for your enjoyment. I believe this was taken in W. VA on our way to Washington DC last summer.

Cherie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck trailer tom.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	2074  
KY Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 06:08 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey Cherie.

Glad to see your exitement! We just took our Bambi on it's maiden voyage early last month. We plan on taking several trips with it. I am beyond exited for the next trip to the rally in June.

Do you use weight distribution bars on your Bambi?

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 07:36 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Hello, Eric

No, we don't have weight distribution bars. Everyone we talked to at the dealership, RV service departments, friends and more experienced folks we met camping all agreed that the Bambi is extremely stable. We even had an incident on our first trip to Canada when it was raining cats and dogs and Tom had to whip the truck and trailer hard to avoid hitting a car in front of us. The Bambi stayed absolutely true behind us and never left its track behind the truck. I was looking in the rear view mirror on the passenger side thinking for sure Bambi was going over, but she didn't even sway an inch. That was a good enough test for us.

Do you have the front couch model, or the dinette? We have the dinette that folds into a second bed. We just LOVE our Bambi! Hope you do, too. Where is this rally you spoke of?

Cherie
Old 05-06-2003, 10:45 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Te reason I asked was that I noticed in the picture the camper leaning forward and the truck leaning back.

Cherie, you need weight bars no question about it. The dealer you dealt with was wrong. Get weight bars and friction sway control ASAP. What you are doing **could be** unsafe. The Bambi has about a 450lbs tongue. In your case all is on the back of your truck. It needs more balance given what I see in the picture.

Please, please, please consider getting the rest of the equipment needed!

She may be stable, but she still deals with the laws of physics like any other rig. You will not believe how much more comfortable and safe towing can be until you get most of the weight off the back of your truck and more evenly distributed.

Trust me, it may cost a few bucks but I surely practice what I preach. I have the bars, and the car and trailer are even level.

I have the dinette......

The rally is here:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...hlight=midwest

I hope you all can make it!

Please consider seriously what I suggest.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2003, 03:59 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Smile That's just the picture, really.

The angle we're pulled in here and the uneven ground makes the trailer look like it's sitting uneven, but it really isn't at all. That's just the way we were parked here for a couple minutes. There is no extra pressure on the hitch. and the truck doesn't go down in the back. Everyone we've talked to says it's great, including lots of experience A/S folks we've run into in the campgrounds. I'll check into it again, though, just for peace of mind. Thanks.

Cherie
Old 05-07-2003, 07:21 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Jackapalooza

Kentucky Girl, could you PM me with the info on that event? As you may already know, we have 2 JRT's and my mother-in-law usually breeds one of hers and has a litter every year. She has 4 right now, 3 females, (2 fixed) and one fixed male.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote