Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Au Revoir Pee-Wee

I read with sadness but understanding that Dale "Pee-Wee" Schwamborn has chosen to take a "hiatus" from these Forums.

Thank you for your posts, Pee-Wee. Thanks to archiving they are not gone and have become a part of this great Forum, so even though you may not be posting you are still among us. Your tales and recollections have enhanced my enjoyment of the culture and fellowship that IS Airstream and makes it the great leisure activity and interest that it is. I am sure that there are many who echo this sentiment.

You are our last link to the time when Airstream was truly king; when Wally Byam and your mom made this all happen. I wonder what their reaction would be to all the shenanigans and posturing that has happened since they departed the scene? Regardless, you were there and your contribution helped make it happen. How many others from those monumental caravans that were actually led by Wally Byam are left to tell us their stories and recollections? Since Wally's been gone for almost 48 years I would venture to guess that there are not very many.

You also chose to share your personal memories and family photos that are now forever in our electronic archives for anyone to read and enjoy.

I say "au revoir" which is not the same as "good-bye". It means until we see (you) again. I hope this will be soon.

I hope you will someday decide to return to the Airforums. There are many people you may not necessarily hear from but are worthy and appreciate what you have to offer by virtue of your experiences and close connection to Airstream/Wally Byam when they were but one.

Some people are dense. They don't get it. But that's just human nature. I learned a long time ago to IGNORE THEM for they are insignificant even though they are noisy and it might appear that there are more of them than there really are.

I have personally resolved in the New Year not to read any more hobby-related posts that are political in nature. Instead I am going to learn how to fix and restore my 1968 Caravel which is the best toy I have acquired since my first CD burner and learn more about the culture and history they have inspired. Also hopefully make a few more wonderful friends like x and y and enjoy camping with them as time permits once the winter of 2010 is history.

Always remember, from the Latin:

Illegitimi non carborundum

Well, it's not really Latin; kinda like mock-Latin, but it sounds good and its' meaning is very relevent in this instance. Run it through Google or Wikipedia for a translation. It is the motto of several organizations including a couple of newspapers and I have adopted it as well. Hopefully it may bring you back to us sooner than later.

May good health and happiness follow you wherever you go. Please visit once in a while and let us know how and what you are doing.

Warmest regards,
"Best #@! Hamfest on the Planet!"

www.near-fest.com
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
Thank you for this post! I could not of said it better! I am, truly indebted to Pee Wee, for instilling in me the Airstream Spirt. I found this spirt in a 1960's trailer at more than 9,000 feet high in the Rocky Mountains where Pee Wee told me and showed through pictures about the WBCCI. It is because of Pee Wee I became a proud member of the Denver Unit, and will remain a member for the rest of my Airstreaming Life!

Thank You Pee Wee...."Au-Revoir"

Todd
Instagram #Vinstream
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:29 AM   #3
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I never say good bye in any language. See ya up the road Dale...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1502.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	93473
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Thank you for your kinds words

I want to thank my friends for their wonderful words, e-mails and private messages.

I also have be censored for the second time. They changed my thread from "Good-bye Airforums," to "Good-Bye Forums."

No notification, no reason, they just changed it.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
I want to thank my friends for their wonderful words, e-mails and private messages.

I also have be censored for the second time. They changed my thread from "Good-bye Airforums," to "Good-Bye Forums."

No notification, no reason, they just changed it.
Dale, I am not sure why you believe you have been "censored" and would be sorry to see you leave as well. I can tell you that thread titles are modified with some regularity to make content easier to find. Threads are often moved to new sections of the board for the same reason. Your post to that thread was not altered in any way and no grand scheme to censor. Just site staff doing the best they can in often difficult circumstances. If you have a question about this please contact any available moderator for assistance and in the meantime - I'm glad to see you're still around

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Around on a temp basis

This is brief return to Airfourms.

One of the phrases Wally used was from Australia. It was fair dinkum.

That's what life is all about.

To the many friends that have posted kind words, sent e-mails, private messages and have called me...THANK YOU!

This should be a final posting.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Why so final Dale? Making such demarcations of ones choice is voluntary, leave the doors open and we bid you a good bon voyage and hope to see you return renewed. Again...Godspeed. If only we talked to one another as we would associates and leave the big gestures to the politicians... It is difficult for an average person to respond to larger than normal dissertations. The ambuguities always leave everyone guessing where the shoe fit... As your supporters did so should you make the leap and give substance to your posts in general. Words of friends and words of enemies and never a sanctioned stand has left me deflated and frustrated. When next you post please call a spade a spade and risk the wrath you promote but spare the innocent that are unsure. Do that much for you celebrity.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
I have been away from the forums for a few weeks so I don't know what all this is about. I do know that WE will all miss Pee Wee and his contributions. Sorry to see you go Pee Wee.
Jo
Old 01-04-2010, 10:21 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
A Real Gentleman

Dale,

I appreciated getting to see you again after many years. You are a few years my senior, but we both remember the influence that Wally and your Mother had on the lives of countless Airstreamers. It was the fond memories from my childhood that brought me back to Airstreaming.

I hope it will be possible to stop by and see you sometime when I am nearby visiting our daughter. I'll call first.

Thanks for the great memories, and for helping me recollect long ago places and people.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0249.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	603.1 KB
ID:	93583  
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:20 AM   #10
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Send us a postcard from Pleasantville.

Happy trails.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Sorry to see you leave PEE WEE . But if you must you must. Please remember, its great to remember those who went before and from time to time remember what they did. But 99% of airstreamers today cannot caravan to the Pyramids or Africa. We have to live in today and tomorrow and look forward. Wally's day was great but its gone . LIVE IN the TODAY PEE WEE .Life is short
Be Well and Enjoy.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Bump!!

Just SAD.

I miss DALE, Pee-Wee.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Me too Shane,

Thankfully I keep in touch with him on facebook and via phone calls.

Steve
Old 01-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #14
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
Me too Shane,

Thankfully I keep in touch with him on facebook and via phone calls.

Steve
He called me this afternoon. I feel honored.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote