Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
I don't hear it's "cute." I get, "It's soooooo cute!" Just when I think I've gotten used to that, I get someone who gushes more than anyone before. I get attention in campgrounds, at rest stops, at view areas, gas stations and in my driveway. Most people seem too shy to ask to see inside, but if I have the door open, then anything goes.

The only time I still cringe a bit is when someone asked, "So how much did you pay for this?" I usually say something like, "I'm still paying."

Stan
Salt Lake City
16' Quiksilver
spenfolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #22

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I try not to discuss the price tag with the admirers, though. Almost without exception, they underestimate the price by 50~60%, and guess a price as low as the original Mercedes Sprinter van would have cost without the Airstream conversion.
People usually OVER estimate the value of our Airstream. Perhaps it's that 'Airstream Millionaire' thing, but when I tell them it's worth less than the fancy SOB they are camping in, they always seem disappointed.

Of course, value is all relative, because it's dollar amount might be less than theirs, but I wouldn't trade them straight across if they asked. I love my cute little Airstream

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
We have had three AS and have always gotten a bunch of interest. Recently we had some guys over to fix our water feature at the house and all they could talk about was the AS. They wanted a tour and they got it. Airstreams are cool. If you own one you KNOW they are. That being said, I love touring campers no matter the brand.
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
My favorite one was in a campground in Ft. Lauderdale back in the late 80s. I met two couples that were friends, both couples owned new Bluebirds. Back then Bluebirds were pretty much the top of the line. They walked over to take a look at my 1967 24' Trade Wind, and the wives asked for a tour. Upon entering one of them exclaimed, "Why it's round on the inside too!"
Old 10-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #25
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The Internet makes a good substitute a la the AIRSTREAM website (viewing interiors, etc). I recall both my parents and grandparents being irritated at times by some less-than-thoughtful fellow campers. I'm sure they'd have been glad to have been able to make that recommendation.

Not suggesting turning folks away when one feels amenable, but I'm not interested (most of the time) in seeing theirs (SOB RV's) as a function of reciprocity. Just what is it we are doing, here?

Maybe if I was a vacationer only, but as the TT is also home . . . .

Sort of like the situation with the truck. I get questions about it, but short of the hood already being open at a service station I leave things alone the same way.

Though, in both of the above, when it is a shared interest (truck or trailer) then the doormat is more likely to be out. And both vehicles cleaned up to do just that for an agreed time in advance.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I guess I might weird but I love to talk about my AS and give tours. Even though it's alway a mess with 4 kids I had 4 people asking questions when we were in Zion and also wanted to know about my Andersen Hitch as no one had seen anything like it. I also track down other owners of AS in the camp ground. I don't want a tour but like to have a quick chat...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Just tonight while at the community pool's Halloween party I was talking with another attendee about camping. He had asked if I had seen that "really cool" Airstream up the road. I told him that it was mine, and he started asking many questions. I invited him to the rally at Wurstfest we are having next weekend just so he could see some other Airstreams. I love informing folks about these trailers.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
Just tonight while at the community pool's Halloween party I was talking with another attendee about camping. He had asked if I had seen that "really cool" Airstream up the road. I told him that it was mine, ... I love informing folks about these trailers.
With that particular trailer...
Heavy is the head that wears the crown..,
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Are you embarrassed by your Airstream?

If you really want to draw a crowd, select a Vintage Airstream or Argosy with a similar Vintage Convertible to tow the trailer. I don't know which generates more questions and interests when I am traveling . . . the Airstream Overlander, the Argosy Minuet, or the 1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible.

The combination above (1978 Argosy Minuet/1975 Cadillac Edlorado) was the combination that I took to the International Rally in 2008 in Bozeman, MT. My tour included nearly four weeks and 8,000 miles, and each fuel stop generated numerous questions about both vehicles . . . the only casualty of the trip was a blown alternator in the Cadillac on the first day . . . it was a new alternator with less than 200 miles of service. The exterior of the Minuet is far from restored, but it still generates plenty of interest . . . I have been accustomed to driving my collector cars while restoration was in progress so having a rig that is in the process of restoration doesn't bother me. The Cadillac provides ample opportunity to talk to curious onlookers as it only averages about nine or ten MPG towing with a 27 gallon fuel tank.

I have actually traveled to more destinations, but far fewer total miles with this combination. The 1964 Airstream Overlander Land Yacht International/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible is a seeming natural combination, but the final drive prevents it from being a good match for mountainous terrain. My first fuel stop after having the Airstream and Cadillac "mated" at Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, IA, resulted in a real litany of questions from the young attendant at the gas station . . . He was intrigued because my Cadillac lost traction on the off-ramp from the Interstate that approached his station . . . he couldn't understand why the front wheels were spinning . . . he couldn't believe that Cadillac built a front wheel drive vehicle before the 1980s . . . he was taken aback when I told him that the front drive coupes from GM began with the Oldsmobile Tornado in 1966. That frist trip is when I realized that it is an absolute necessity to get adequate weight transfer to the front axle of the Eldorado if you want any traction on wet pavement or loose gravel on modest grades. His second round of questions was in regard to how long it had been since the last Airstream was built . . . . . . . .

I learned to accept the attention generated by driving an unusual car years ago so the addition of an Airstream with the accompanying questions just seeems like part of the lifestyle.

Kevin

P.S.: I have learned to be a little more fastidious about housekeeping when traveling with either of the above combinations as they generate quite a bit more intrest than when I tow with my 1999 GMC K2500 Suburban. A small dog is often my traveling companion so I have also learned to keep the door locked with the key in my pocket so someone doesn't open the door and let my dog out . . . she thinks that she is much larger than she actually is, but will create quite a scene when she thinks that she is protecting her "person".
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
I have no problem showing off our A/S and get a kick out of talking about it. The most common thing I hear is "you mean that's a new trailer, no 50 years old?" seems as though most folks think Airstream stopped making trailers in the 60s.

What I don't like is when the very first question is "how much did that cost?" I find it in poor taste to open the conversation with a question like that. My last RV was the Roadtrek built on the Sprinter platform with the big Mercedes logo. When I had that it seemed like 80% of the questions were on price.

I don't mind answering the question but just not when it's the opening question.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Right after I purchased mine in Feb I brought it home one Saturday. While I was pulling things apart to learn more about it. I heard someone yell, "hello?" It was a neighbor wanting to look inside. She had never seen one inside. Then another neighbor showed up a while later with his wife.

I am not embarrassed by those interested but perhaps have a sense of hesitation in sharing with other RVers, especially AS people. The reason is not because it isn't a nice unit but there is some rough edges - a scratch from the original owner, an imperfect rear bumper, etc. Oh, and although I am not concerned at all with the "sport" window type, others criticize the windows as undesirable. I admire those who have older or new models that are remodeled into fantastic condition. Mine is plain but I am happy to own one.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Ours friends and relatives are the most interested and some have gotten to see all the different changes since we bought it.

We've heard the usual questions—"Do they still make them?" and "How much did it cost" (Answer: "Too much"). Sometimes there's a tour at a campground, but usually we are inside or out somewhere, so we don't meet many people. Sometimes I see another Airstream nearby and go over and talk to the people and most are nice, but some are churlish, but, there's no personality test to buy an Airstream. Traveling to Alaska we would see the same Airstreams at other parks and a couple from Minnesota we met at a campground at Lake Louise, found us at a campground near Fairbanks, well up the highways more than 1,000 miles.

A couple stopped us at a truck stop and wanted to take pictures of it, our truck and themselves in front of it. They were both truck drivers and were sure they would get the same truck, same color and same Airstream. They had obviously been talking about this for a long time and were excited to see the same combination as we had. They wanted the photos so they could look at them while they dreamed their dreams over the long miles over the road. By then we were taking it for granted, so it was fun to be with this couple who were still dreaming. I hope they realized that dream by now.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1974 29' Ambassador
1976 25' Caravanner
trenton , Missouri
Airstreams will attract people from 5 to 95. I've had very small children approach cautiously lots of times. Once, an elderly gentleman drove his pickup through the grass of the campsite at a state park to look at my 74 Ambassador. As he leaned out the window to admire my polished trailer he proceeded to ask "did you put new skin on that thing?" Regardless of what you learned in 2nd grade science there are some instances when aluminum has magnetic properties.
bimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #34
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
The only thing I am embarrassed about is how little I have paid for how much enjoyment I have gotten. My only regret is I did not do it 15 years ago!
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
The only thing I am embarrassed about is how little I have paid for how much enjoyment I have gotten. My only regret is I did not do it 15 years ago!
Love it!
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Hello all,
We get at least one person ask about our 31 footer on each camping trip. They're curious about the interior.
In August, someone with a tent trailer told me ours was a 'creative purchase.'
Creative? Hardly. I'd say it's a no-brainer.
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
We're not much for campgrounds. Usually you'll find us out in the middle of the desert.

We've had people stop by on motorcycles and in 4X4's to talk about our trailer. It starts with. "You towed that here?" and goes on to the usual. They still make those. They are so cool etc.

These folks rarely ask for a tour I think because they are often dirty or dusty from riding or 4wheeling and don't want to dirty the trailer but they do peek in the door.

When asked how much it cost which to me is a pretty rude question. I just shrug and say I have no idea. I won it in a poker game.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2011 23' International
clovis , California
Cool

I seem to get "how cool" more than "how cute". In the eyes of my college aged kids, buying the airstream is the only "cool" thing I have done in decades!
Joe G
jgerardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #39
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We've not had an overwhelming number of direct requests for a tour, but about once per outing we get a question on how much our Bambi cost. Or maybe a comment about Airstreams being expensive.

An instinctive reaction might be, "Compared to what? A Class A motorhome towing a jeep, or a monster 5th wheel towed by a huge new truck?"

However, usually we explain that the cost comes down considerably if you buy a used one.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Some requests but mostly comments while on the road at a gas station. Never had even one with our sob white trailer for 5 years. And always enjoy the other AS that we encounter. It is all a factor in the enjoyment of airstreaming.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote