Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Wink Anyone wish for more off-road capable Airstream?

I've been recently looking at trailers to buy and have always loved Airstreams. My worry is that maybe it would be too fragile for my needs. I love the interior size and decor of the new 30 foot classics.

But would I be limited to relatively large, flat camp ground and parks?
Would the long overhangs and lower chassis height scrape on even rudimentary trails?
Is the beautiful aluminum skin easy to dent in with bush and tree branches?

For around the same money as the Classic ($120K) I could import a high quality Australian off-road camper full loaded. The Australians seem to make the best off-road/boondocking campers. (Kimberley are actually USA VIN'd/real easy to import).

Kimberleykruiser - Finest Australian Off Road Caravan

That thing I could take boondocking and really keep away from the crowds. Real proper boondocking systems like:
720 watt factory solar
Factory satellite
740 amp hour battery setup
12 volt air conditioning etc
Diesel cooking etc
Huge water tanks
Plus right now the USD/AUSD exchange rate is really good for US buyers.

Having only done Class A traveling before, without actually having "lived the lifestyle" in something like a 30 Classic or this Kimberley for off-road it is hard to know which I would prefer.

The Airstream of course has the the classic looks, beautiful and more spacious interior but more fragile for off-road and will be more "tethered" to civilization.

The Kimberly would allow really getting into the outskirts of boondocking areas that aren't well traversed, super quality design, more boondocking features but the trailer door and outdoor grill are on the wrong side and getting parts from Australia could be a headache and fluctuate with eh exchange rate.

So, has anyone else yearned for something like an Airstream but more off-road capable? Short of putting on larger tires on the Airstream for more cushion and ground clearance, I'm not sure if they would hold up on the rougher lifestyle... Thoughts?
Zybane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Check out Nash campers. That would be my choice in your shoes
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Thanks Ted. Ya, I did look into those but unfortunately they have what I like to call the standard "1980's Las Vegas Hotel Room" interiors that the US RV industry (besides Airstream) has subscribed to.

Looking for something a bit more high end.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
So think you are in for a challenge finding the right camper, but I like your concept. Question is if you are primarily boondocking, the door side might not matter?

Also, if it is any indication, I just towed my trailer over many miles of dirt roads through S Dakota and Wyoming with no issues. I feel they are pretty tough.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Yes, a challenge! Kimberley even advertises that no such trailer is made in the USA and Canada that compares to theirs. Which from my research appear to be correct.

Yes, the door side primarily won't matter. But I will go into campground once and a while etc and it could be a pain. I walk out the door and grill facing directly at the neighbors lol.

Sounds like a nice trip. Did you take any pics? As a matter of fact, anyone Airstreamers got some nice pics of their Airstreams "off the beaten path'?
Old 08-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
We have some nice shots of a big dust cloud following the back of the trailer through the Sage Creek Wilderness west of the Badlands, I will try to post when I can find them.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Zybane, any RV is a compromise. You are the only one who can decide what is right for you, so take some time (you don't want to make a $120,000 mistake) and figure out just what you want to do. Since you say you haven't actually done what you are thinking about doing, I'd suggest that you start by finding people who have done it (and are still doing it if possible). Pick their brains about what you ought to have. Ask them WHY they picked the setup they did, and then compare their reasons to what you want to do. Are you planning on being a solo full-timer, living in the boonies most of the time? Do you have a spouse? If so, are they on-board with this plan? Or are you wanting a coach that will let you go off in the boonies for a week or two at a time? Also, the terrain may help you decide what you want/need. There is a big difference between snaking down a forest service "road" with huge ruts below and huge tree limbs above and going a couple of miles out in the desert on well-baked ground.

Then you get to the question of a tow vehicle. A truck that is set up properly to tow a coach out into the middle of the woods may not be a good choice for a daily driver. If you are still working that means two vehicles at least.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but simply pointing out areas that will need to be thought about and discussed if someone else is going to be with you. Again, only you can answer the questions. Don't let someone else dictate what you can or cannot do. After all, those who say something can't be done are often passed up by those who are doing it. Go find those who are doing it and see how it is done. Then have fun.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:15 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The AUS "caravans" sit quite high. And use shorter tongues. Reading over on one of their sites is concern about suspension design. Long travel, and some sophistication is desired. Take your time. Collyn Rivers is interesting to read.

My impression is that most all of them tow at 60-mph or lower when on paved roads. There have been good discussions about the TUSON electronic, trailer-mounted antisway. See Andrew_T s review on this site (and at MR TRUCK).

These trailers around here dent if you breathe hard on them. If that isn't a concern, then there are those who've raised them. (Not my preference at all). One of the lighter ones would be the only ones I'd consider for off-road. That said, read around. Ray Eklund has some good observations, among others.

Good luck.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Zbane

Have you considered a high end truck camper?
Old 08-01-2015, 08:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Lorton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
Zybane, any RV is a compromise. You are the only one who can decide what is right for you, so take some time (you don't want to make a $120,000 mistake) and figure out just what you want to do. Since you say you haven't actually done what you are thinking about doing, I'd suggest that you start by finding people who have done it (and are still doing it if possible). Pick their brains about what you ought to have. Ask them WHY they picked the setup they did, and then compare their reasons to what you want to do. Are you planning on being a solo full-timer, living in the boonies most of the time? Do you have a spouse? If so, are they on-board with this plan? Or are you wanting a coach that will let you go off in the boonies for a week or two at a time? Also, the terrain may help you decide what you want/need. There is a big difference between snaking down a forest service "road" with huge ruts below and huge tree limbs above and going a couple of miles out in the desert on well-baked ground.

Then you get to the question of a tow vehicle. A truck that is set up properly to tow a coach out into the middle of the woods may not be a good choice for a daily driver. If you are still working that means two vehicles at least.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but simply pointing out areas that will need to be thought about and discussed if someone else is going to be with you. Again, only you can answer the questions. Don't let someone else dictate what you can or cannot do. After all, those who say something can't be done are often passed up by those who are doing it. Go find those who are doing it and see how it is done. Then have fun.
Ah, no worries about raining on my parade. I am a realist. I hear you on compromise. Everything is a compromise. TV weight capability vs off-road. Trailer off-road capability vs high speed road manner and luxury etc. Just finding the sweet spot for my "compromise".

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The AUS "caravans" sit quite high. And use shorter tongues. Reading over on one of their sites is concern about suspension design. Long travel, and some sophistication is desired. Take your time. Collyn Rivers is interesting to read.

My impression is that most all of them tow at 60-mph or lower when on paved roads. There have been good discussions about the TUSON electronic, trailer-mounted antisway. See Andrew_T s review on this site (and at MR TRUCK).

These trailers around here dent if you breathe hard on them. If that isn't a concern, then there are those who've raised them. (Not my preference at all). One of the lighter ones would be the only ones I'd consider for off-road. That said, read around. Ray Eklund has some good observations, among others.

Good luck.
Ah yes, the T3 trailer I am looking at is over ten feet high. But of course that height is needed for ground clearance for off road. I've been wondering how something like the Kimberley would tow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
Zbane

Have you considered a high end truck camper?
Red, ya I've looked into them. Basically the consensus out there is that the truck loses most of it's off-road capability with all that high weight back there. Basically you have the size to go off-road but lose the ability to do it.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
just a thought! have you ever considered a surplus military truck? a so called shop van duce&half converted into an off roadable trailer has worked for quite a few people.
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:04 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
2015 25' FB International
Bay Area , California
I don't know anything about these folks, came across their website while researching options - have you seen ADAK?

ADAK Trailers - ADAK is the Big Dog in adventure/overland trailers.
WkendWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Panhandle , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan hartman View Post
just a thought! have you ever considered a surplus military truck? a so called shop van duce&half converted into an off roadable trailer has worked for quite a few people.
And they can be had for CHEAP! One is on my dream list.
Resolute_ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #14
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
We have Four Wheel Camper that allows us to tow the AS, use it as a basecamp, then boondock with the FWC.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Anyone wish for more off-road capable Airstream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
I've been recently looking at trailers to buy and have always loved Airstreams. My worry is that maybe it would be too fragile for my needs. I love the interior size and decor of the new 30 foot classics.

But would I be limited to relatively large, flat camp ground and parks?

Would the long overhangs and lower chassis height scrape on even rudimentary trails?

Is the beautiful aluminum skin easy to dent in with bush and tree branches?

For around the same money as the Classic ($120K) I could import a high quality Australian off-road camper full loaded. The Australians seem to make the best off-road/boondocking campers. (Kimberley are actually USA VIN'd/real easy to import).

Kimberleykruiser - Finest Australian Off Road Caravan

That thing I could take boondocking and really keep away from the crowds. Real proper boondocking systems like:

720 watt factory solar

Factory satellite

740 amp hour battery setup

12 volt air conditioning etc

Diesel cooking etc

Huge water tanks

Plus right now the USD/AUSD exchange rate is really good for US buyers.

Having only done Class A traveling before, without actually having "lived the lifestyle" in something like a 30 Classic or this Kimberley for off-road it is hard to know which I would prefer.

The Airstream of course has the the classic looks, beautiful and more spacious interior but more fragile for off-road and will be more "tethered" to civilization.

The Kimberly would allow really getting into the outskirts of boondocking areas that aren't well traversed, super quality design, more boondocking features but the trailer door and outdoor grill are on the wrong side and getting parts from Australia could be a headache and fluctuate with eh exchange rate.

So, has anyone else yearned for something like an Airstream but more off-road capable? Short of putting on larger tires on the Airstream for more cushion and ground clearance, I'm not sure if they would hold up on the rougher lifestyle... Thoughts?

Since the answer to your first 3 questions is yes, and there is nothing in America that even comes close to the Kimberly, go for it. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 08-02-2015, 07:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I just looked a the Kimberly web site. Man they are beautiful. Funny thing is I would have bought one and had it imported before I ever realized the door is on the wrong side....
Old 08-03-2015, 06:59 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Monticello , Arkansas
When I worked the oilfields back in the 80s every location always had the tool pushers trailer on site. Never really thought about it at the time but we drilled in some pretty tough off road locations.
Unclebill53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:38 AM   #18
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I enjoy watching the old AS caravan videos on YouTube. Bouncing through truck ruts like they were on a trampoline. Im sure they ate lots of scrambled eggs and omlettes.
My only concern would be high centering the tanks. That is where the rock magnets are located.
The smaller AS's are probably better suited for a run through the woods. YeeHaa!
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

penticton , British Columbia
for a good offroad airstream, some of the system would need to be simplified. Make it also lighter and with air suspention. it would be fun and very possible.

jonnyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:03 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1972 21' Globetrotter
Arlington , Tennessee
We were in Asheville last fall for the "Overland Expo". Lots of eye candy for those dreaming of off roading in style. Check out their site at www. Expedition portal.com

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Cottonboll is offline   Reply With Quote