Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2006, 09:50 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
WOW!!! AStreamers again prove to be more inspiring than the homes. Thankyou all!!!!

-"just because the monkeys off your back, doesn't mean the circus left town!"

www.pickenscountycampers.com
camperski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:08 AM   #22
_

. , .
ok camperski...

i LIKE that new signature line!

hello soldiermedic and welcome to airstream'n,

ignore the wb for the sake of this dialog,
yes they have some very young thinking members of all ages,
and some local units with younger families
but seldom are wb events focused on this demographic....

especially any units close to you...

now instead consider the FORUMS RALLY EVENTS...

i've been to several and usually about 1/3 of the attendees are <30 with children...

i've been to some events with 8-10 little ones running around (and that's just till's family )

you are really close by the midwest rally in leRoy ill. and the fall rally in northern ill.

these are 2-5 day events (come when ya can and leave when ya must) with very friendly folks and many young families...

pot lucks, movies, campfires and kids on bicycles....

what could be better....

i purchased the first a/s at age 25 and kept in for 25 years...

now i'm 2 year into #2.... as 2air', so you do the age math...

at the midwest rally this year,
there was a great young couple with a new bambi...
pretty sure they were barely 1 score + 5 years.
they seemed to have fun with us....
check out their picture link (annussia) in the midwest rally thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...cap-23413.html

also jackcanervera posted lots of photos in his link...

anyway my point is at FORUMS EVENTS you are likely to find many young families, children, simple camping fun and links to further airstream good times...

a mixture of all ages, family units and lifestyles makes for more fun and interesting chats,
than having everyone from one subset...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:26 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
I am sure that when I eventually get this thing road worthy we will be able to get out and have fun. I think that will take me about a year (I only get to work on it 1 day per week). While pulling off some more belly today I noticed a great deal more frame damage...ARG!!!!
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:29 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
This age demogaphic poll may give you a little insight as to Airstreamers ages...
http://www.airforums.com/forum...tudy-1988.html
Old 11-17-2006, 11:53 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
2air didnt mean to crowd your handle....but she did say i cna"t have a 3rd one. I honestly didn't get your handle without the spaces, that dominate "ski" gene sometimes, i kept thinking it was something "irish"LOL sorry

Old 11-17-2006, 12:04 PM   #26
We can tow it!

1996 28' Excella
Where the water tastes like wine , Michigan
Smile No age limit for kindred spirits

Great posts everyone. Soldier medic I'm sure you'll find kindred spirits along the way. Enjoy camping with your lovely trailer and family!

I do love to meet people of all ages, and its nice to have that connection with those of similar ages/tastes who know Dr. John from Dr. Phil no offense intended..

Guess it just depends on the person. I remember trying to get grandma to get out and join a senior group so she could play with kids her own age and she refused she didn't want to be with a bunch of "old folks" (she was 80 then) who talked about their ailments all day long.. She liked to hang out with the younger family members and she was a lot of fun too. Never met a better scrabble player yet. We camped all over the west with grandma and had a blast. Guess I'm saying what's been said, kindred spirits come in all shapes, sizes, colors, ages, and genders!
Old 11-17-2006, 01:38 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Pickens , South Carolina
2 air,
again I appreciate this forum, I can see that a forum rally might be different (not better, not worse) than a local rally. When I visited a local rally and commented that I was surprised by the number of people there because no one been signed up on the forum, I got a puzzled look and an" ok now that your here, lets meet some people" so I'm looking forward to both! Now that the first phase of this is doen for me (i have something to go in), just gotta go!

Old 11-17-2006, 02:00 PM   #28
_

. , .
hi camperski and others who just wanna camp, chat, play outside and share a meal ...

and a bowl of rivets!

you are right, not better or worse, just different...

most wb rally goers keep going back because they like it!

some local unit wb'rs do greatly enjoy their events and each other...

that is one of the reasons the wbcci has lasted so long... and why some of us want to see it grow again...

the forum rally side is simpler...

no roll calls, no officers, no real protocols...

maybe trailer tours, certainly a pot luck, hopefully a campfire or 2....

without the responsibility to follow any wb guides anything can happen...

like bradk i'd like to see an occasional 'activity' like a bike ride or hike or canoe/kayak excursion...

and folks in any camping unit or just visiting are ALWAYS welcome...

didn't bring food? no problem, share mine and a cup of java too...

most forum folks are just so happy to finally be camping...

away from home and the phone, IN their airstream with others....

after the random introductions it's fun to see folks clearly winding down...

from a life too tight.

playing with the family or others, starting a fire or packing wheel bearings!

recently chasing racoons and eating bacon were prime events at the oregon rally!

its funny some rallys have lots of tech talk and other NONE....

so get out there and go camping....

i love arriving a few days early or staying as folks leave...

it's like watching a mobile village rise and fall...

some of us always have trouble leaving and stay longer...

aluminum IS clearly magnetic!

cheers
2air'

and back to soldiermedic and his/her original notion....

another member started a thread last year on a 'younger sub forum'....

his demographics were under 25, but lots of 30 somethin's posted....

http://www.airforums.com/forum...th-17057.html?

and here is the 'next tier'...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ers-18491.html

age, it's a moving target...

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:59 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
On the road , again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
...I have noticed that there is a shortage of 20-30 year olds catching the A/S bug. ....Just a thought, and meaning no disrespect to anyone outside the age range I listed.
No offense taken. Unfortunately, age is one of the first characteristics we notice about other people, whether young and old. From this, we infer their competencies, beliefs and abilities. To note a person's age in our social interactions is not inherently offensive -- it is the consequences of such differentiating that can be harmful.

Good luck in your search for people to camp with in your specified age range. Note, you are missing out on alot by these self-imposed limitations.
rebfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:12 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Rivet Not imposing limitations

By no means am I limiting the ages of people attending rallies or camping events. The major intent of the thread was to find other A/S owners in similar situations as my family, (two full time workers, very young children at home).
Old 11-17-2006, 03:13 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Like Tin Sista, I've camped with the elders too. I brought my 78ish Mom to my first forum ralliy and will bring her to the next. She prefers to hang around the trailer, but she loves it. Seeing the kids, like A-Merry-Can's little baby Bethany and Devoman's darling girl Breanna, just makes her day. She could care less if someone wonders what this "old lady" is doing out with a bunch of upstart Airsteramers. She would much rather be around a diverse crowd of all ages than what she calls a bunch of "stuffy old grayhairs." Watch it Mom, I'm getting some grays now too.

We haven't gone to a WB rally yet, so I can't speak for the WB crowd. But I know the forum population reflects a wide range of ages and backgrounds. We all just meld together in one big aluminum melting pot. No pomp and circumstance, no protocol. Just come as you are, do as you please, be yourself, and have fun. Can't wait for you to join us at a rally, soldiermedic.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:16 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We are in our early 40s.
But I still party like i'm 20! .....well, mabey 30 ...never mind, it's bed time .
vonkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:35 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
Can't wait for you to join us at a rally, soldiermedic.
I can't wait either, but will have to unitl I win the lottery and can buy a road worthy A/S or figure out what it will take to get this one complete.

One thing for sure, I really can't wait to get out and see all those other silver twinkees surounding us and some serious food. I didn't try out for "The next food network star" for nothing!

SM
Old 11-17-2006, 03:49 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1975 29' Ambassador
Littleton , Colorado
SOLDIERMEDIC

We are 32 with a 7 and 5 year old. My wife won't let me build houses new or fix-up. Something about living in a construction zone all the time. I don't get it, so I needed an outlet for my building obsessions. And hey think of all the cool tools. So in 30 years when I get this done we'll come out and see you.

1/3 of the pan is removed. Frame not to bad.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:16 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
By nature of this being a forum, the average age is lower than the average age of Airstreamers in general. Lots of like-minded folks here online ~

Most of the older airstreamers who get to go on those long caravans and/or full-time are retired and have less desire to rally vicariously on the forums. Why would they...they are doing it - we're just looking forward to the day we can too!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:40 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
I can't wait either, but will have to unitl I win the lottery and can buy a road worthy A/S or figure out what it will take to get this one complete.

One thing for sure, I really can't wait to get out and see all those other silver twinkees surounding us and some serious food. I didn't try out for "The next food network star" for nothing!

SM
I understand. Getting a vintage Airstream ready to hit the road is a deal, especially when you've just discovered frame issues. If a forum rally happens anywhere you wouldn't mind going, I want you to know its like 2air says. You would be welcomed with open arms, Airstream in tow or not. Drop-ins are welcome and even tents are allowed. Its not a requirement for you to have an Airstream in hand to rally with this bunch, we know where your heart is!
Old 11-17-2006, 05:01 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Hmmmm

Hey Sugarfoot,

We would definately have to go when the weather is perfect. I can't see the misses roughing it without "Facilities" for her or washing our 2 year old. If my welder comes out tomorrow and is able to give me a good estimate, then perhaps we will be off to a good start, but when I started taking the pan off and wet rust was falling everywhere it was very discouraging.

If I have to end up doing a monty I will have many vintage 68 parts. A control panel, the cabinet door latches, all the storage tubs from under the gouchos, etc. My largest concern is what Andy at Inland stated....to replace a floor the shell needs to be removed. I dont have a crane, so that is out of the question, and I don't want to risk safety on the rig. I hope I dont end up giving up on this thing.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:32 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 16' Bambi
Yeah, got to keep the family comfy, and keeping a 2 year old clean is a major job in itself. I hope for you that your welder is kind and gives you an estimate within reason. Good luck, and hopfully you won't have to do the full monty.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:11 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
My largest concern is what Andy at Inland stated....to replace a floor the shell needs to be removed. I dont have a crane, so that is out of the question, and I don't want to risk safety on the rig. I hope I dont end up giving up on this thing
It shouldn't be too hard to rig up an A-frame type of system to haul it off the frame a bit, then pull the chassis out from under it. No crane needed in my opinion. See what others have done. I hate to see you give up on it.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:54 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Getting together with people your own age is the least of your concerns.
Everyone that has an Airstream is SPECIAL. And there are specials in every age. Do we have any Female only ... age of 35 to 40? I have a special male friend 40. It is difficult to meet someone in this age bracket. Remember to enjoy LIFE.
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote