Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2006, 07:29 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
Any thoughts on the Classic Limited 34?

We are considering a move from our 28' CCD to the 34' Limited Classic with L lounge and solar. We are on the road at least eight months a year and are considering full time at some point. We need more space and like the comfort of the classic. Will be using a Hensley Arrow hitch. Does anyone have any thoughts or helpful hints about this?

Pecos Pete
Cow Creek New Mexico
Pecos Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Pete---I would Love to have one , in fact I've been testing the waters, so to speak, to see how much it would cost to trade "one more time". We have a 30' Classic and quite frankly it fits us perfect. But theeeeeen I look at those "long shinny things" with 3 axles and dream of having one of those. We're going full time come spring so that adds to my excuses to trade. Interiors and floor plans are really a personal choice, we happen to like the conventional front couch lay out. As to solar, again this is personal, but I prefer using a generator what little we boondock. Unless you are in full sun all day I doubt the solar system offered from the factory would be adiquit when running the furnace during cold weather. Perhaps someone else can comment on that. We have a new Hensley and haven't used it with the exception of a 50 mile test drive. That little bit convences me I made the right choice. Will know for sure week after next when we head south. ----pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 08:46 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sure. Why not go to a 34' Classic...you've clearly met what I would consider some of the reasons why one would want/need to go to a 34' Classic IMHO.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:05 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
A 34 would round out your collection. So I must ask what does one do with FOUR Airstreams?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 09:17 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
We have the 28 now, the other trailers listed are our progression to it. We will be trading the 28 on the 34.

Does anyone have any comments about towing the 34?
Old 12-16-2006, 09:20 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
It's the only one I've ever owned, and if I buy another Airstream in the future, it will just be another 34' with a slide-out. Easy as pie to tow, and even easier to back up. Only real difference to me is you might need to plan your routes a bit more thoroughly due to the extra length, and the increased opportunity for tail drag. Diesel or something like an 8.1 gasser in a 3/4 to 1 ton TV is sort of a must, also.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:10 AM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Too long and Costs too much?
Seriously. The extra space between the 31 and the 34 is between the dinette and the couch. I would have liked to seen a bigger bathroom or bedroom. Two more tires and an extra axle to care for.
Limited over the Standard Classic. Nicer looking Cabinets and some of the fixtures are nicer.
This is why I went with the Classic 31 over a 34. or a limited.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:26 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1968 20' Globetrotter
Albuquerque , New Mexico
any classic is a good thought although you are showing signs of aluminitis witch is GOOOOOOOOD-------

hendrie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:27 AM   #9
_

. , .
hi pete...

i wanted the shortest trailer a/s made...

on 3 axles

i like how the triples ride, track, tow, back up, park and look...

check it out...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...13-post38.html

agree the floor plans could be more creative on 34s,

but the standard layout has been in production a long time...

all 07 classics are limiteds but the content of a limited has varied over the years...

there are many good threads here on length comparisons, towing virtues and so on...

and even pictures of several long long long trailers....

search a bit...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 10:59 AM   #10
_

. , .
2 late 2 edit my post pete...

hookedonclassic has a 34 with the L lounge...

here is a link to his thread. i think he likes it!

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ase-18675.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:14 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
Thanks for the link 2. Enjoyed looking at the photos of the interior. Fabric choice is a challenge - since AS doesn't seem to think it is important enough to let you see close up photos of the fabrics before you purchase. I have never been in the 34, so will be making the purchase sight unseen - kind of exciting!
Old 12-16-2006, 12:38 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Hi Pete,

Just a few of my thoughts. When we bought ours there was only a 31' on the lot to look at. When we took del. I was very happy I got the other 3 feet. It makes a tremendous amount of difference. Also, we had lived in a 25 ft. SOB for a coulpe of years. Trying to use the dinette to do paperwork etc was a problem and the big reason I did not go with the lounge plan. The small curbside table by the sofa is big enough for a laptop,but not much else. The roadside table with one leaf out is roomy enough for my laptop, papers, and mail.I haven't needed to unfold the 2nd leaf. If its time for lunch or dinner, I can just leave it out while we sit at the dinette. I don't have to pick everything up and move it all the time. Sometimes I work on my paperwork or projects a little at a time, so my stuff just sits there out of the way. Hope this helps. 'shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:42 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZstreamin
A 34 would round out your collection. So I must ask what does one do with FOUR Airstreams?

Great problems to have!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
You Had Me...

You had me at AS and 34'.

We currently have a 19' (our first AS) and love it. It is just my wife and I and we do mostly weekend, long weekend trips. If we were to start doing caravans or ever go fulltime, I would seriously consider upgrading to one of the larger units. Like that 25' FB model. But then, if I can't keep it in the driveway why not go BIG!?!!

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 01:13 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
We thought we could do fine in a 22 CCD, but found that we were in the dinette working all day, then watching TV or games all evening - not fun. Then the 28 - great floor plan, but the CCD is not the most comfortable for long term, but looks good. So, we looked at the 30, 31 and 34 and decided that the 34 would suit us on the road the best. There is a BIG difference in comfort level between the CCD and the Classic!

Thanks everyone for all of the input!
Old 12-17-2006, 07:05 AM   #16
Craftsman

If your going fulltime then the 34' Classic is just the ticket. I came very close ( the deposit check was written) to buying the 34' Classic last year, but decided until we go fulltime the 25' was going to be just fine. The only trade I can invision in the future is to the 34'. A couple of suggestions; add the Vista Views asnd stacked windows to the bedroom, and the light over the door also I likethe stacked widows to the right of the door. There isn't a choise between a standard Classic and a Lmited anymore, they're all Classic Limiteds.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:17 AM   #17
Craftsman

One more thing: no more Burgandy, Oh and the standard is a fixed window to the left of the door, when I got ready to order I asked for a stacked window instead. The reason they don't put one there is the door opens against this window so you would have to be real carefull not to leave it open when the door was open.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:38 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
Go ahead, get the 34. that extra space goes along way when you spend allot of time on the road.The only reason we have a 34 is that A.S. does not make anything longer
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 11:07 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
34' Classics

Pete,

We recently purchased a 2007 34' SO Classic and really enjoy it. My comments based on our experience and perspective are as follows:

1) A minimum TV of a 3/4 or 1 ton is required. I prefer diesel but a larger gasser will work just as well.

2) Everyone has their favorite hitch style. We had a Reese Dual-cam on our 30' Safari and stayed with it on the 34. It works well. In fact, I spoke with a retired Dodge engineer whose primary responsibility was DOT certification of Dodge Trucks and he stated that the Reese would do 95% of what a Hensley or Pull-rite would do at 1/3 the cost. BTW, this engineer was an Airstreamer for 26 years before moving to a large 5ver We're sticking with our Reese at this time but if I upgrade, I MUCH prefer the Pull-rite to the Hensley. No flames here - it is personal preference.

3) The 34 is much more comfortable in living space to 30. Compared to our 30, the bathroom is larger but we have the Carlson Bathroom modification. Yes, most of the space is between teh slideout and couch in the front. We have a daughter in a wheelchair and we purchased a set of aluminum ramps to give access to the trailer. We can easily accomodate her wheelchair in the trailer and still feel like we can move around.

4) Lots of good advice from the forum before we bought ours. Best piece of advice was to order it with two ACs. In hot weather, one AC will struggle to keep the unit cool. The other was that you have to be more careful regarding fuel stops and tail dragging due to the longer length. Also, get the Prodigy or equivalent brake controller as it really makes the difference and is worth the cost.

5) I also prefer the generator to solar but then again, I live in Michigan where cloudiness is the rule not the exception. I have a Honda EU3000 which will allow me to run one AC. You can also get remote start mods to these by at least one dealer. Frankly, we don't boondock much anymore so this is not an issue for us.

Remember, everyone gets want they want and need. It is always interesting to me what features will drive the purchasing decisions. What you want may not be what others want but it is YOUR Airstream.

Enjoy!
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 12:36 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic
Pecos , New Mexico
Thanks for the advice, Jeff and Vickie. We are getting lots of good input on the trailer purchase. I am still not sure about the solar package, but most everyone I have talked too says we will be glad we have it. Have looked into the Prodigy brake controller (on sale at Camping World right now) and are pretty sold on the Hensley hitch - going by what I have read so far. I am thinking the deposit check will be written tomorrow.