Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Any of you ordered Sleep Comfort "parts"

Was wishing we had Sleep Comfort in our trailer; anyone had experience/converted your twins to that type?

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Brooke and I don't have them in the Sovereign, but we do have a Sleep Number Queen at home, and we love it! In fact, we're wishing that we were in it right now....this L-shaped sofa is a bit hard on the back! The kids are on the twins, and those mattresses are new, so we probably won't be getting a Select Comfort for them anytime soon. I'd say go for it, if that's what you're looking for.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Surely somebody from Texas has done this.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Old 08-20-2006, 01:06 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kistler
Was wishing we had Sleep Comfort in our trailer; anyone had experience/converted your twins to that type?
We have a short queen Sleep Number bed in out Excella. What are you trying to find out?
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
I am trying to find out how to do a twin bed Airstream with Sleep Comforts!

What isn't it that you don't understand? TX....? There are creative people in TX

2002 Classic 25'
Old 08-20-2006, 06:03 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
1993 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Apache Junction, AZ
We did this by having zippered covers made for out existing twin mattresses. We laid the Select Comfort air bladders in the covers and filled in the spaces with the foam edges that came with the SC and more foam that we cut and shaped ourselves. We put the pump on the nightstand between the beds. We now have a newer trailer withe the queen bed. It has a short queen SC. We still have the covers for the twin mattresses if you want to see them. We're in Apache Junction, Az. Call if you need more info.

480-540-2946
Terry
n7bdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 06:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Thank you N7bdl (Terry)......you from TX? I was hoping someone had done what you did.

I was thinking about throwing out the original twin mattresses and having Brenda make an "envelope" and doing as you did with foam rubber and SC parts.

From what you said, you put the bladders on top of the existing twin mattresses....didn't that make them pretty high/thick.

Kistler
Oro Valley

PS--I actually go up to Apache Junction once in a while to Dillons...that is where we bought our trailer.

2002 Classic 25'
Old 08-20-2006, 06:43 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
RV Air Beds

We sleep on a Select Comfort at home. For the Airstream, we ordered a short queen from an air bed discounter we found on-line (the one we ordered from, halfpriceairbeds.com, seems to have gone out of business, but there are plenty more if you do a search on "air bed"). Cost was about half of the Select Comfort short queen. The mattress we got has the pumps integrated within the air bladder, so we didn't have to find a space on the floor.

Most of these discount places will custom cut an RV mattress for you, so getting twin mattresses to fit the curves of an Airstream shouldn't be a major problem. I wish I'd thought to have the company that sold us ours bevel the corners; it's a bit too square for the platform. It's not a major problem as we can still get around the ends of the bed, but hopefully you can learn from my hindsight.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 07:02 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
1993 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Apache Junction, AZ
I didn't use the original mattress except to make the "envelope". The mattress height was the same as the original.
We originally ordered a competitor's mattresses, but returned them due to lower quality......loud pump, stinky plastic bladder, and not nearly as confortable.

Terry
n7bdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

We have a Sleep Number in the house and one in the Airstream. Recently we replaced the foam in the house bed and it cost about $ 850.00 US dollars.
Many people believe the foam last the life of the bed which is about the life of the pro rated warranty, 20 years. The foam in the Sleep Number is of high quality but it’s life is based on hours used, how you use it and the weight placed on it. Sleep Number does not stand behind their foam used in their beds after a short period. We found being of average weight and 8 hours a night, we got about 5 years before the foam lost it’s resiliency. Foam has a rating system using letters on it’s quality, and the life on a standard low end bed foam is only one or two years. Using the Airstream bed should last longer since we will use it much less. However keep the interior environment moderate in the Airstream when you are not using it. In our opinion is very important not only for the life of the bed but all of the interior components. We would not buy another Sleep Number because you can buy a great new bed for $ 850.00.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinsel Loaf
. . . Foam has a rating system using letters on it’s quality, and the life on a standard low end bed foam is only one or two years. .
I don't know what the rating is, but the Goodyear mattresses that came in our '59 Tradewind are still firm, and feel GREAT!

Maybe the cool weather in Minnesota is easy on foam rubber.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote