Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2003, 05:51 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Dang! $165 a day for a campground???? I thought $85-90 was the max anyone would charge. I hope they come in and vacuum, serve breakfast and give you a massage for that price!

Never had a problem with 10 year rule so far. 4th of July weekend a fellow "guessed" mine was a '99 or a 2000. He was floored when I told him it was a '72. His 2003 Prowler looked horrible. It had a terrible case of "black streaks".
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 05:51 AM   #22
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I know that Good Sam has a group that works to keep laws detrimental to RVer's from getting passed. They will help with the fight when cities try to pass "a no rv on your property law". I know WBCCI has a legislative committe. I do not know if the club has any way to fight it but it may be a way to en-mass notify parks that WBCCI members are not going to use a park or chain that is exclusionary.

I have always owned units that were older than 10 years. It is the only way I have been able to afford to enjoy Rving. If a campgroung will not let me stay, then they get crossed off in my woodalls and trailer life and I will not go there again. You would think the campgrounds would want an RV in there to maintain a high occupancy rate.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 06:45 AM   #23
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
exclusionary rule...

For a little clarification here, I've not found a "campground" that won't take a trailer over 10 years. Generally, it is "Moblie Home" parks that also accept RVs that have the "ten year rule". The rule exists to exclude ratty looking 8x50 1960 & 70s vintage death traps from long-term placement in an otherwise OK park. The management is stuck with the ones that they have; they don't have to take on more.

FWIW, that 'rule' is ALWAYS negotiable with the management in most parks. It's primarily for long-term renters with mobile homes, not for short-term travel trailer tenants. AND it's generally an administrative RULE put in place by the park, not a set-in-stone legal requirement of some governmental body.

The problem, of course, is when the park management are neanderthals and don't understand the 'legislative intent' of the ten year rule. Then it's a pain-in-the-a**. One way around management is to locate the park owner and ask for a waiver from them after explaining the situation. A quick call to the local County Assessor's office is all it takes for that information. It's doubtful that the owner of a park would say no. After all, they're in it for the investment, and to say no would be money out of their pockets! They're very likely to say 'yes' when you tell them that you'll fill an otherwise empty spot for four-to-six months and they know it will be available again for a long-term tenant.

While I'd probably just move on 'cause it's easier in places that have a wealth of parks, in places like San Diego where you're lucky to find a place to park, it might be worth the research and a phone call or two.

Having lived in San Diego for years, I can tell you that it's NOT an RV-friendly place. Finding a place to stay there with an RV can be almost impossible.

Best of luck!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 12:10 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Quote:
The medical term for the Airstream disease: Bauxite-itus, just like any other addiction more exposure is necessary to satisfy the craving. BTW it is incurable, once you have it you are hooked!
This definately made me laugh - because it's so true!

Roger, thanks for the details. If a phone becomes necessary that's what I'll do.

We're going to talk to the people who run the office on Monday to find out what their answer is. The person who told us our month would be the end was one of the folks who helps in the office and lives here [in a 1950's model Avion btw].

The older trailers here were all grandfathered in when this "rule" went in to effect here.

San Diego is a little more difficult than most places because it's season here right now. All the parks go up in price for these three months of summer because they can. Even the parks that you wouldn't think would be more than $12-$16 a night are charging $45-60 during this time and are full.

My parents are avid RV'rs with a 34 ft. Revcon bus and they had never heard of this rule - it doesn't seem to have made it to the Midwest as intensely as the Northwest/Southwest part of the country.

I honestly think some campgrounds saw other campgrounds doing it and followed suit. Caught on by default. It doesn't seem like there's a coalition or anything of that sort. Too much competition between parks most places on this end of the country for them to gang together too much.

I have a list of parks given to me by the office here and out of 14 parks listed only two have no age restrictions.

Quote:
My idea would be for 10 or 15 A/S to travel together and, visit one of these parks..Put the newer units in front and, mix the rest, then see what happens~!!
I'd go for this! LOL

We could have quite a rally!

www.loveshackmusic.com/loveshack
escapeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 02:33 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
The cat's out of the bag now........

My brother was working the nuclear power plant in San Diego last year. They allowed him to park his MH there for FREE, as long as he was working with a contractor at the plant.

I think everyone is right about "campgrounds" NOT having 10 year restrictions for camping. It is probably just a rule for "seasonals". I have seen, however, "RV Resorts" that only allow Class A motorhomes.

I never be able to convince them mine is new anymore.
Attached Images

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2003, 05:14 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Just another thought for those who would prefer not to lie about the age of their A/S....

Maybe you could just fib and say that you don't know how old it is, you just bought it recently....gee I dunno it looks kinda new to me, dontchya think?? Couldn't be more than 10 yrs old....

Let them be the judge. If you have a date on the unit somewhere that may not fly, but if not, it might be worth a shot :-)
"Mod-Pod" - '77 Argosy Minuet 6.0
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2003, 09:55 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Exclamation

An update on this thread and what has happened since I originally posted.

We were told we could stay through the month of Aug and Sept at this particular park but would need to be looking for another park.

Well, we did look. Every park except for two within a fifty mile radius of this area have the same rule. In some cases they said we could bring a picture or go through an inspection. In other cases they said no way and that was it.

In the case of the two that didn't have the rule one park isn't open year 'round and the other doesn't have monthly rates available until after Labor Day.

Finally at this park, I went to one of the office ladies on off hours. She is herself a permanent resident here and has a late model airstream, probably an early sixties model from what I could tell. I briefly stated my case about how the other parks will at least consider an inspection, which we invited! I explained that this situation of being in limbo about a place to stay in San Diego was stressful to say the least since we are working in the downtown area and this park is the only one even remotely close.

The following Monday [this past week] we were told that if the trailer was moved to the back of the park they would accomodate us. The property managers don't go in the back of the park and they can uphold their rule if the average visitor coming to stay a few nights doesn't easily see the older trailers.

We didn't care what reason they came up with, we were just glad the opportunity to stay here through the end of the year was available and now it is.

What a situation this has been! I just wanted to bring you all up to speed and tell you I appreciate your discussion on this with me.

Now that things have calmed with the park - we move the trailer on Monday to a space further into the park - we have been able to move on with the release of our new CD. My husband and I are a musical duo with a new album out!

You are invited to have a listen to some of the tracks if you like! We would love it if you did that and maybe even wrote a review! You are always invited.

Click here to listen to "Swimming in the Sahara" by LoveShack

Until next time!
Andrea
aka escapeez
escapeez is offline   Reply With Quote