Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ennis , Montana
Am I crazy?!

Hi there - I need a reality check.... I have been shopping for a 16' Bambi for close to a year now. My family consists of three people ( all average height and weight) and a Saint Bernard dog. I know I should at least bump up to the 19' Bambi, but I just love the compact size and yes, the cuteness factor, of the 16.
Currently we have a 16' Scamp, and while a bit more room would be nice, we manage just fine. We live in a very rural part of Montana, so we don't have a dealer anywhere close where we could walk through a 16 and get a feel for the layout. Generally our camping trips are only a few days in duration, so it's not as if we are trying to live in it full time! I just thought I should ask for anyone to share their thoughts and opinions about the realities of trying to fit three people and a 180 lb dog into a 16 Bambi before I purchase one sight unseen from a classified ad. Thank you for your input!
aliciaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
I opted for the 28 foot, we had a 200 lb mastiff. Overkill? Maybe. But it was nice on a rainy day to have a dog free place for my feet.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I'd say the main part of your reality check is the idea of purchasing *ANY* RV sight-unseen from a classified ad. There's more risk in that than in not being able to come up with a way to use a 16' Airstream with a giant dog.

That said, we like smallish houses and medium-sized Airstreams, personally. Then again, we're not in Montana... in TX we need enough room to be comfy indoors if we go camping June-September, AC is a big reason we love the trailer.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
PRESCOTT , Arizona
Alicia
My wife and I are within two weeks of leaving on a trip to the northwest from Arizona in our 17 ft Safari Sport. We are going to Canada and possibly through the Rockies and south through Glacier, Tetons and Yallowstone back to Arizona. We really like our Safari but we have a dog sitter (our daughter).l We are considering buying a slightly bigger Airstream because we like two beds and a dining area. My email is mhammond@cableone.net Marc
MarcCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
You already get by in a 16' trailer, so moving to a different 16' trailer isn't much of a change as far as available space is concerned. I faill to see a problem. However…

I would be leery of buying anything sight-unseen. If you've done a walk-through of a Bambi before, then at least you know what you're buying, if not the condition of what you're buying. But if you haven't ever set foot in a Bambi before, then yes, you're crazy (well, you did ask…).

Would you think it's okay to buy a Chevy pickup sight-unseen because you've driven a Toyota pickup before? Same sort of thing.

Not saying you shouldn't buy a Bambi if you have your heart set on one. Just recommending a bit more prudence in doing your research first.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ennis , Montana
Thank you all for the feedback! Marc, I'm afraid that your Safari probably has the fullbath/couch floor plan that I don't think will work for us. Too bad... I would love for my search to come to an end!! Thank you, anyway! I like the traditional Bambi layout with the wet bath and the full bed. I am hoping to find a 2000-2008 model year. Anyway, I appreciate that you all did not immediately declare that I am crazy to even consider the 16. I would think more seriously about the 19, but I have read that there really is not much difference in the floor space and my family is fine with a wet bath versus the shower area in the 19. I do wish that the 16 had both the black and grey water tanks, but I guess you have to compromise on a few things.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciaL View Post
Thank you all for the feedback! Marc, I'm afraid that your Safari probably has the fullbath/couch floor plan that I don't think will work for us. Too bad... I would love for my search to come to an end!! Thank you, anyway! I like the traditional Bambi layout with the wet bath and the full bed. I am hoping to find a 2000-2008 model year. Anyway, I appreciate that you all did not immediately declare that I am crazy to even consider the 16. I would think more seriously about the 19, but I have read that there really is not much difference in the floor space and my family is fine with a wet bath versus the shower area in the 19. I do wish that the 16 had both the black and grey water tanks, but I guess you have to compromise on a few things.
If you are considering a 19' look at a 20' front bed. You get about 20" more in overall length and another 20" or so in floor space due to bed turned across the width of the bed. The dinnette converts into a second bed.
Good luck with your search

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We spent hours in both the 16- and 19-foot Bambi's before we decided. There are huge differences in that extra 3 feet. Personally, if you intend to keep this Airstream into the future, I'd go to a dealer that has both models in stock, even if it's some distance away; so that you can "pretend camp" in them on the dealer lot for several hours, switching back and forth between them, to make sure you get what you want.

There seems to be numerous Airstreamers that have moved both up and down in size, for various reasons. However, before we bought, we spent several half-day sessions at the dealer, spending hours in each model. And now, 8 years after purchasing our 19-foot Bambi new in 2005, we are still certain that we made the right decision; and we have no buyer's remorse, wishing we had bought a different model.

Unless we win the lottery and have money to burn, this is the Airstream we'll keep until we're forced into a nursing home by our kids.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Note that the early Bambi 16' trailers had a different floorplan than the newer (2004-on) models. They're also rare - less than 20 built, or something like that.

I managed to find one locally, only to discover the floorplan didn't work. That, and the floor was rotting away from leaks.

You really should try and plan a trip to see the various trailers at a dealer somehow. This is a lot of $$, especially considering that the 16' trailers are sought after.

I can't help but wonder if a 17' Casita would fit the bill.

Good luck!
Tom
Old 05-24-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Yes you are crazy..... Well you asked. 3 people and a Saint Bernard in a 16 foot is way crowded for my way of thinking. I would bet all of you would enjoy camping with a little more room to move around in, like a 20 or 24 footer.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
That extra space makes a huge difference. We have camped with spaniel and and Irish Wolfhound. After the Wolfhound died, we dropped to a smaller trailer. True to form, I could not live with out a Wolfhound. (We have had as many as 3 at a time since 1983).
We know have a 30ft AS. Makes it much easier on those days when being outside isn't possible and for sleeping all the time.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
I should add that we still have a spaniel and, if the weather is warm, we bring the parrot.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Jamul , California
aliciaL,
I looked at all different sizes for my four medium sized dogs and myself. I really, really wanted to fit us all into a 19' Bambi. Super cute and nice size. I took a friend to look at one with me for my reality check. She's very nice and didn't laugh too much at me! I ended up with a 23' with the front lounge. It fits us nicely. I'm sure you can make anything work. I saw a 22' that was on CraigsList. The pictures didn't really show it well. I was glad I went out of my way to look at it....I passed on it. Also came close to buying another sight unseen, and fortunately, the salesman went honest on me over the phone. Thankful I waited to see the one I bought in person. If you can't see it yourself, perhaps one of the AS Inspector types on this forum could check it out for you. I had several volunteer to do inspections for me. These folks are great!
Good luck in whatever you do.
Susanne
mcgintyrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ennis , Montana
Thank you all SO much for the advice and honesty! You definitely have got me thinking about whether or not we will be happier sacrificing a bit of cuteness to get the extra space... I will also heed your advice about committing to purchase a trailer sight unseen. The necessity of having to travel long distances to get what you want is a reality of living in rural montana! There is a 19' 2006 Bambi for sale just a short distance from us, but it is WAY too expensive at $28,000.... Thank you again for your feedback!
Old 05-27-2013, 06:07 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Northwest , Missouri
We have a 21' trailer with a 125 pound Labrador. Do I dare remind you of the dreaded Canine Flatulence?
OldVwHunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldVwHunters View Post
We have a 21' trailer with a 125 pound Labrador. Do I dare remind you of the dreaded Canine Flatulence?
I think that would call for the 34' Panamerica with the 15' separate doggie sleeping quarters in the rear.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
While overseas in October 2012, I got a burr under the saddle to get an Airstream. Given my tow vehicle limitations, I initially ordered a 19' Bambi unit sight unseen by just looking at the downloaded factory sales brochure. I was sure I wanted separate rooms for the shower and toilet, so the 16' model was crossed off the list.

Then enlightenment occurred by finding this forum and reading about towing large trailers with small vehicles. Based upon no knowledge or visual inspection, I decided upon a 25FB because it was the smallest wide body model, folks liked the front bedroom and was not too heavy. The drawing in the literature showed a nice walk around space on either side of the bed.

The reality is that side of the bed net to the hitch has about a five inch wide floor that my shoe barely fits in lined up with the strip. Making the bed was a true challenge for me. The next discovery was the overhead cabinet that provided mind numbing greetings if I forgot it was there and tried to get out of bed in the dark for the nightly p-raid. We were both disappointed in my blundering decision.

Of course the other super mistake became apparent when I took the tow vehicle with the wife plus a few items in it along with the nearly loaded trailer with a full clean water tank to the CAT scales. The small tow vehicle was now overloaded, so that limitation was resolved by the purchase of a 3/4 ton diesel pickup (again, an overseas purchase resulting from sales and engineering documents downloaded over the internet). That solution meant we could consider a longer trailer with a floor plan we liked.

We recently did something new for us in our travel trailer experience, we walked a dealer's lot with many different trim level choices exceeding the 25 foot model we currently own. There was a beautiful 2011 Classic 34 tri-axle on the lot which would push the combination weight limits of the truck. The reality of going to a remote area on a winding road and the size limits in many Western parks eliminated that beauty from the list. My wife just called that trailer "too big" for us.

We really liked that 34' Classic's wood interior. That left us looking at the current three Classic models.

The challenge for my wife was in the kitchen for the two longer models. We could force the issue with the factory to get a gas oven (it shows in the literature and write up) and loose most of the kitchen drawers, but the microwave is standard equipment and could not be removed at the factory. That would mean custom cabinet drawer work at a dealership to try and match the rest of the kitchen after removal of the microwave. She did not care for the double glass doors on the wardrobe of the model 31 or the "open" bathroom of the model 30. Neither of the big models had a dedicated pantry space at a level for shorter people. Like the 34' Classic, the 31' Classics could be harder to maneuver off road and into some trailer parks.

Having listened to our spoken thoughts for our trailering activities, the salesman strongly suggested that while the 31' Classic models were at the long extreme, the 27FB Classic was actually a perfect match for us. He personally owned a 27FB model.

So, I went back to the dealership for another contemplation for design details in the wood of the 34 Classic. After lots of intensive website review of Classic 31 and 27 models and with the study now on the 27FB, we decided I needed to inspect an actual example of the model we will order to our specifications. I plan to fly to a dealership to get a hands on feeling before getting the my hands on a pen for a check. The cost of an airline ticket is small when compared to the costs of switching trailers. I want to get it right this time and have the decision last for a long time and be happy with the results.

Short summary based upon my experience:

Even if you plan to purchase used elsewhere, go to a large dealership and inspect many of the lengths and floor plans in person. Make a day of it. Lie on the bed, try to get off the bed with some one else on it. It it a graceful exit? Did you hit your head on cabinets? Sit in the necessary room, open the mirror, see if you actually fit in the shower, visualize where your stuff might be stored.

You will be glad you did your homework. And keep reading the forum for pearls of wisdom that get shared.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Me: Hey honey, here's a post asking if 3 people and a 180 pound dog can fit in s 16 foot Bambi!
Wife: Well sure they can get in there, but what are they going to do once they're in?

It's gonna be cozy.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eastside , Washington
We have a 2012 16'. There are two of us and a golden retriever. It works fine, because then dog sleeps under the table. If he sleeps on the floor anywhere else, then he is either blocking the stove, the heater, or the converter. During the night, he sleeps on one of the dinette cushions. He does track in a lot of dirt, and when it rains, we go through a lot of towels.

I will say the 16' is the cutest! We get comments all the time. Just yesterday, someone walked by and said, "that is the cutest trailer I have ever seen!"
quilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ennis , Montana
I have been thinking a lot about this issue after everyone's feedback.... If we are going to get something that actually fits all of us comfortably, we would get a 30 footer, which just doesn't work with our lifestyle. I think I will always wish for a 16' if we get the 19'.... so practicality aside, we will keep looking for a 16. I figure that the dog doesn't always go along, and our son will go off to college in five years... We are used to a small camper, and are always camping in tight, remote spots so we need the small size. And as Quilter said, they are the CUTEST!! Now I just have to find it, which is certainly challenging.... Although there are lots of little 2002 16' Bambi's on Craigslist for only $2,000!