Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2003, 07:57 AM   #21
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Talking there is help

it is called s.c.g.t.a.

swoopy colored graphics trailer annnonymus.

they beliveve in a 12 step process to recovery.

1 admit you have swoopy graphics

2 admit you are powerless to the effects of swoopy graphics.

3 don't be ashamed you have them and quit trying to drive around with your awnings down so no one can see them. (the wide load permits are expensive and limit travel to only 6 lane highways)

4 devise an action plan to deal with your disease.

5 gather your materials

6 borrow a heat gun and a ladder.

7 begin the exorcisism.

8 remove the demon decals.

9 replasticote the affected area(s)

10 rejoice in the fact that you are now free of the disease!

11 remember once you have had the graphic disease you can relapse at any given r.v. show.

12 there will be many temptations down the proverbial road, try to avoid the temptation again.

yer cured!

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 08:34 AM   #22
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Exclamation too funny!

Thanks John!!! That's great!!! I'm STILL laughing!

Hey... I just noticed something else tho about the photo you posted on the shorter trailer graphics...

Does anyone else notice a marked similarity of the arrangement of those trailers to Stonehenge? Is this coincidental, or is there a subliminal message here? Do we have an occurance documented of a modern Airstreamhenge? Is there some Celtic pagan influence to all this??? Is it fuzzy to conceal detail, sort of like those purported UFO and BigFoot sighting photos?

Ok... maybe not... maybe it's just too much caffeine in my coffee this morning!
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 10:04 AM   #23
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
dunno

if it was a 'stream henge i think they would have to be set on end.

perhaps it is the first annual secret meeting of the S.C.G.T.A., all the other trailers are the reformed members.

the newbie must be at step one or two.

john
Old 05-19-2003, 02:09 PM   #24

Oh !!!!!!!!! NO !!!!!!!!!!! We came close

I thought we nearly bought that. Then, I realized it's a 25' 1996.

I don't know what this picture is doing in the pix gallery we accumulated at the time we were buying.
I have it dated 01/27/03 & 1996 AS. I have 12 pictures, in & out. Does it come from ebay?

I don't remember seeing it before. Did one of you sent us a virus??????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	96 right.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	2161  
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 02:31 PM   #25

Ooops

I hope that "Hunter Hampton" will not object to my posting this picture. I did not know.

Mike told me he downloaded it from "Hunter Airstream".

Nice trailer, Hunter. We now can all admire it.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:36 PM   #26
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
swoopy baby!

i hope he would get a chuckle out of this thread.

he is proud enough of those graphics to post them on the net for everyone to see!

john
Old 05-19-2003, 03:03 PM   #27
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Gender problem

Quote:
i hope he would get a chuckle out of this thread.
Hunter is definitely a she.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 04:25 PM   #28
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
doh!

my apoligies to hunter,

SHE -would get a chuckle....sorry!

john
Old 05-19-2003, 05:11 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

John and 85mh, I think you are delving into another mystery here with Streamhenge. I was refering to a straight corporate conspiracy with the swoopy colored graphic decals. A modern conspiracy.
Streamhenge (pictured below) is a complete ancient mystery.
The monoliths that make up Streamhenge do not pose as serious an enigma as Stonehenge with regards to how the ancients got them there, because the monoliths at Streamhenge are trailerable, while those at Stonehenge were not. There still is the amazing fact that one of the monoliths at Streamhenge has a roof air conditioning unit, and air conditioning would not be invented for thousands of years! This leads one to beleive that perhaps this was alien technology brought to the ancients here on earth. It can be assumed that if some advanced civilization helped the ancient RVers develop AC, it would have of course been CFC free (due to the advanced technology needed to get to earth in the first place) but alas no coolant is left to test in the system, so we are unable to tell what the refrigerant was.
Could this be an anceint campground where aliens would go to boondock? Letting them get away from the hustle and bustle of interplanetary travel? It would fit that some highly evolved life form would be behind Airstream design... how else could they be so far superior a trailer?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	heng.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	2162  
amfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 05:27 PM   #30

You got the name wrong, it is Aluhenge

Like in the song:

" Aluhenge, little Aluhenge,
" Aluhenge ..... je te plumerai"
Old 05-19-2003, 05:52 PM   #31
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
femuse,

i'm kinda fond of stream henge, although yours has merit.

amfab,

he he, possibly the funniest graphic and text i've seen on this site.

you are the master.

since we are on the subject of ancient arts, any one ever consider building a "stream a pult"? or an "air buchet"?

john
Old 05-19-2003, 07:16 PM   #32
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Talking

Hey guys! I have had to take a couple of hours to recompose myself since seeing amfab's 'streamhenge'!

I think this is going to take the world tourist trade by storm! I can forsee it becoming a bigger attraction than Mount Rushmore. Ok, maybe not... well, maybe bigger than Carhenge?

Either:

A: Somebody's got WAAAAY too much time on their hands or

B: This is one of the finest pieces of art since Leonardo DaVinci!!!

I'm leaning toward the art!

Great photo... great thread... great people!

Thanks for the laughs...

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 10:43 PM   #33

Quote:
since we are on the subject of ancient arts, any one ever consider building a "stream a pult"? or an "air buchet"?
Please, next time, post that earlier in the day. We will have our dinner well after 1am.

I did not know what I was missing, not knowing about such sites as:
"Trebuchet.com: For People Who Like To HURL!
"The Algorithmic Beauty of the Trebuchet
"DEATH BY MARSHMALLOW. The Catapult.

A bit in a rush, we will perfect all that later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stream-a-pult_3.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	2164  
Old 06-22-2003, 05:57 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Question Airstream versus SOB...

OK, I'm looking at travel trailers. Convince me why a used airstream is my best buy, compared to Some Other Brand.

Is it resale value, quality, longevity? Aside from the great community of folks here, of course - that goes without saying!
drboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 06:16 PM   #35

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Yes.

I just recently bought my vintage AS. I had intended to buy an SOB to begin with. After all, I could get one a few years old, with all the modern amenities, way bigger, for the price I paid for my vintage. But how many of those trailers will still be around in 30 years? Not many I'll bet. The deciding factor was the complaints I read about poor quality and workmanship on SOBs from people on the Open Roads Forum. Plus it sounded like buying a used RV was about like buying a used car only worse because of the dealers, and the poor quality of some units to begin with. I was ready to give up the whole RVing idea when I discovered Airstreams.

My 1968 is solid as a rock, built with real wood inside, has appliances that are working like new 35 years after it rolled out of the factory, and polishes up to look like new on the outside. Unless I want something bigger, this is a trailer that I could get another 35 years of use out of. Plus it's just cool. A friend in Ireland called it 'an American icon, a work of art'. What more could you want?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 07:08 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Welcome to the forum drboyd!

Our primary reason for buying an Airstream TT was it looked quality inside. We are wishing we had got a little longer one, but with our tow vehicle we can't get carried away with length.

The second reason was the aerodynamics of the shape; It tows much better than our last trailer experience which was in the early 70's--a Terry.

Third we did not want wood "studs" and I was tired of fiberglas exterior.

I am not good at mechanical or any metal work BUT I think we would have been smarter to have purchased a good used --1990+, longer--Airstream.

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 08:03 PM   #37
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
A.I.R.S.T.R.E.A.M. vs S.O.B.

A.I.R.S.T.R.E.A.M.
A = Aluminum: lightweight, durable and pleasing to the eye.
I = Integrity: quality unmatched in the RV industry.
R = Reputation: Best in the business.
S = Sturdy: Built to last a lifetime.
T = Towing ease.
R = Reliable: 60% of all ever built are still in service.
E = Excellence: Favored brand of RV worldwide.
A = American made.
M = Magnetic: draws the attention and admiration of other RVers.

S.O.B.
S = Shoddy materials and workmanship.
O = Outlay: Amount of money to be spent on maintenance, repair, etc.
B = Buyer's remorse, as in "Wish I had bought an Airstream".
Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 08:29 PM   #38
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
I had been looking at TTs for a couple of years to replace the old slide in camper that I had up at the lake.
Wasn't thinking about any particular brand but I was hoping to find something halfways nice for under $4 grand.
I've looked at 5th wheels, park models, TTs, even thought about buying a used MH with a bad engine or tranny as I just leave it parked.
I Looked at a bunch of them but just couldn't bring my self to part with the $ for some rig that I knew I'd never like as much as my ratty old camper.
Maybe it was a Karma thing.
Never gave a thought to an Airstreams.
But then I looked at a used one at a dealer - about a 65 24 footer - It was well kept and all original and just had a great "feel" to it as soon as I stepped in side. Of course he wanted about $6 Grand for it...
After that I realized that Airstreams were kind of in a class of their own. That they didn't fit into a scale of 1 - 10 like most SOBs. They were a D or an R on some other scale.

Now for under $4 grand you know that you're going to have to do some fixing. Which I don't mind. I'm a carpenter.
But you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Which is what you'd be doing with an older SOB.
On the other hand, an old silk purse is Still a silk purse and you can enjoy the time and effort you spend making it nice again.
I just bought mine about a month ago. So I'm a newby here.
But I've already found that an added bonus to having bought an AS is these forums. They're a great resource.
And it's a great community. And it's neat to meet others who understand what you mean when you talk about how the trailer "felt' when you first walked in.
Good luck with your decision.
Jerry
Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 12:33 AM   #39

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally posted by Ultradog
...And it's neat to meet others who understand what you mean when you talk about how the trailer "felt' when you first walked in.
Good luck with your decision.
Jerry
I agree, there's something about the airstreams. Ours just feels so homey and cozy. I don't know what it is about it exactly, but it just seems like everything is where it should be, and everything is so easy to use. My husband was very skeptical and didn't think we'd enjoy having a trailer, but he has loved the trips we've taken so far, and hopefully next weekend we'll be going out again. There's just something about it, when we come back to it we really feel like we're 'home'.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 02:28 AM   #40
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
And it's neat to meet others who understand what you mean when you talk about how the trailer "felt' when you first walked in.
I'm a new As owner here. Spent several months shopping trailers, and never seemed to find anything just right. Always something slightly cheap that caught my attention....soon got to feeling that most of the boxes I looked at were just not worth my time.

Saw my AS on a lot with many SOB's, and believe me she stood in a class all her own. Even looked graceful and functional. Long story short, my wife walked in first.....made it about 2 feet and I knew we'd found our trailer.

I posted this elsewhere (can't find it). The trailer felt solid even with the jacks up. Sure it moved a little, but didn't have that jiggly feeling like most of the SOB's I'd seen. Solid woods, and outstanding craftsmanship throughout....you just know.

Next week we start a journey from Alaska to Maine, and we're truly excited to be making that trip in an AS.

Good Luck on your decision.

Lee & Linda
LabWagGun is offline   Reply With Quote