Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2019, 05:15 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Leo , Indiana
I bottomed out my 22 foot Safari leaving two different parking lots in Redding, .CA both at the hitch and the rear. It seems they like their parking lots to exit up to the sidewalk then down to the road in a very short distance, sometimes with an additional low spot for a gutter before getting to the main part of the road. The point is, even short trailers can bottom out. TV is an F150. Second point is stay out of Redding CA.
Jimroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:46 PM   #22

Syracuse , Arizona
I have the same bottoming out problem in my driveway. You have two choices: 1. When you pull onto your street, temporarily replace your standard hitch with a “drop ball” hitch for only when you move in the driveway to raise the rear of the trailer, or, 2. Put heavy duty casters at the rear to take the load for a brief time.

Both options have worked for me. Casters are a permanent solution, but placement is critical.
Dabarany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:16 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
On our 1989 31' Excella, we added a 3" lift kit when we bought new axles and went to 16" tires/rims. The trailer tows the same and I can easily get under the trailer without jacking it up or putting it on ramps or blocks to inspect or perform maintenance. However, we had to raise our hitch ball to the top adjustment on the hitch and the steps are higher, but it's very much worth it!! Good luck!! Jim & Gretchen
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
do as many others have

get a 3" lift kit. that soln worked for us
i also moved from std GY 15" to Michelin 16" , that gave us another 1/2 lift
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:52 PM   #25

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've had a RV dealer (not Airstream) warn me regarding putting any type of wheels on a trailer incase of the rear dragging. He noted that most trailer frames are not capable of supporting the weight of the tail end of a trailer would apply as the wheels contact the ground. Damage to the frame could occur.

I've passed many a gas station by when exiting the Interstate where I see a potential of bottoming out the rear end when arriving or departing from the station lot to the road.

I remember when camping up at Estes Park staying at a campground where I drug the rear end of my 30' SOB trailer due to the angle of the campsite access road vs the access road into the campground. I was dragging on the skid bars and the tires on the rearmost tandem axle were not touching the ground. The road I was dragging on was crushed gravel and I was just creeping as the bars were dragging. Thankfully because of it being on crushed gravel, the road bed gave a little as the bars dug into it. Funny was that it didn't drag when entering the campground but did as I was coming down the steep campsite access road when departing.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 10:30 PM   #26
Streaming Outlander

2019 27' International
Airstream - Other
Currently Looking...
Phoenix , Arizona
Got the 3” lift

Did the trick. No performance changes while towing. Dealer installed.
Bshnid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:51 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Aaargh - they are low because that makes for a great tow. That's why I have an AS. All the SOBs were high center of gravity trailers. I would say, it makes a good highway only trailer, but lots of folks take them wherever they want to go, so I'd be wrong. Every RV is a compromise configured to make the target group happy. For an AS, you need bigger tires and maybe a lift to gain rough road clearance.

Hope you work out your problem. Pat
I take back my aargh. Thanks for the info. (But I still wish it were a bit higher--will probably get a lift kit.)

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote