Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2021, 10:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Airstream towing/moving service?

I've looked at Airstreams (and trailers in general) for years but two things always stop me:

1). The thought of driving with it on the road--not only the difficulty of the actual drive and getting gas, etc but also missing out on many spontaneous stops. Living in an Airstream = cool. Towing an Airstream = hassle.

2) The need to have a tow vehicle which then requires you to a) drive a big vehicle around when you are not towing or b) buy another vehicle for the daily driver. Not optimal.

So, I wonder--is there a service that moves Airstreams around? That is, they show up at a certain day/time, hitch up your trailer, and move it to your next destination for you, charging you an appropriate fee, of course. Seem like a possible business. Is anyone actually doing this?

--Darin
darinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 04:39 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Murrieta , California
Possible business I suppose but probably not very likely as this doesn't seem like a very big business in demand in my opinion. Most of us I believe don't mind towing the airstream as it just takes some practice and getting used to. I actually enjoy towing mine and have done it many thousands of miles. Good luck and let us know what you find.
Night owls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
I agree with him.

You may have minimal demand but for the most part people have their own vehicles and don’t mind towing (it’s easier than you think) and most camp grounds have pull through sites so you never have to reverse. Concerned about refueling with the airstream? Just refuel before you tow and plan your trips so when you relocate you aren’t moving more and your tank will allow.

There are local businesses that will rent you an airstream and you just tell them where you want it and they will drop off, hook up, and remove when you’re done. It’s hit or miss if your local community has this or not though.

If you love the airstream name and brand but don’t want to tow. You can also get an interstate and do the van life.

Lastly, if i am local to you and you’re not driving too far, I’d help you move it BUT it’s gonna cost you fuel, time, and mileage. What’s a reasonable rate? Diesel is $2.60 a gallon, government reimbursement is up to .58 a mile (one way, so it will be at least 1.16 a mile) and time... what would you accept for someone to buy a day of your life? $150? $300? It adds up quickly. Not to mention insurance that would be needed to potentially cover you.

All of a sudden it may cost you upwards of $500 to move the trailer just down the road, now try to make it to another state. (My brother once ubered someone to another state for $1200 — and he wasn’t towing)

If you have the money, someone is always willing to take it from you....

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
Towing is easy. Give it a try.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Maybe get a small trailer, that you can tow with vehicle you have, to get past the apprehension of towing.
As your skills increase, you may find you can / want to do it, with a larger combination rig.
To get somebody to tow something to a campsite, they probably won't want to do that much stuff.Towing is hook and drop, for most part, like wrecker drivers.
Old 02-09-2021, 01:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Towing becomes second nature after you've done it a couple times - it's really not scary at all. It's part of the nomad trailer life...

Very rarely do we come across a spot we want to stop at that doesn't have RV parking available nearby. The only exception I've had trouble with was downtown Santa Fe, NM. But even there, I found a spot - I just had to walk a couple of blocks to get to the action, which isn't a bad thing after sitting/driving a spell to get there.

Agree the smaller <25' trailers have easier parking opportunities - they basically fit in a tandem parking stall - two nose-to-nose. If a large empty lot park towards the back where you can use four stalls for easier maneuvering!

Also, you learn to keep an eye out for truck-stop gas stations - they have wider drive lanes for refueling. Or as a previous poster said, keep your trips to "a tankful" in duration so you can refuel with out the trailer each morning or evening. Frankly, I'd rather re-fuel with the tailer attached than unhitch each time I need gas.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Darinb,
As the others have said, towing does not live up to the newbie dread. (Have you watched the Lucy flick, The Long Long Trailer? Real life is not like that!)
I strongly prefer easy towing, having gone from a 28’ SOB/E350 to a 24’ SOB/F150 to a 22’BambiSport/F150 to a 23’FB FC /F150 (over the course of 25 years). Airstreams truly are easier to tow, and the new pickup trucks ride better than the cars I grew up with. You just need to find your sweet spot.
Many people with smaller trailers use SUV’s to tow them. I am not one to push the tow limits, and my wife loves our truck and all the honey-do’s I can’t talk my way out of based on vehicular limitations. You don’t need to buy a behemoth that is useless for the other aspects of your life.
Consider renting a truck/camper to see if towing is as bad as you think. Plan your trip to avoid traffic, slow down, and keep to the right lane. You may find the trip more enjoyable than rushing off in an overloaded car to a chain motel, even with driving yourself!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:11 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2016 23' International
Los Angeles , California
Where are you located?

I do have a associate in Southern California who can store, maintain, deliver and setup your trailer at your booked site.
Seanlb is offline   Reply With Quote