Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2021, 05:18 PM   #1
Leperone

Claremore , Oklahoma
Airstream storage

Hello, I have an 30í Flying Cloud that stays at my house when not on the road. My question is this, can or should I leave the trailer connected to my 50 amp box? Also, I live in Oklahoma with brutal hot summers so should I leave the frigid running or open? How about the AC? Should I leave them on, say 80 or 90 degrees? I have the trailer covered under an awning. Thanks.
leperone34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
There’s not much reason to leave the fridge turned on unless you are in the habit of sneaking out there for a beer. Prop the doors open (I assume you have a separate icebox) and save the wear and tear.
Running the air shouldn’t be necessary if your trailer is shaded. Depending on how dusty it gets, you could just open the ceiling vents.
We always leave our 23FB plugged in, to avoid the possibility of draining the batteries, but I have confidence in the (2020) converter not to overcharge them. Some chargers are not designed to float charge.
Happy camping!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 10:03 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Scottsdale , Arizona
We store our Airstream under cover in Phoenix and itís fine, even when itís stupid hot here. Weíve hit 118. In June. It was 114 today, cooling to 109 tomorrow! We leave the vents open, pull the lithium batteries (they say not to store above 113) and use the little blue things that keep the fridge doors open but latched so they arenít in the way or swinging into the shower light switch, AND we keep a 1/2 a bucket of water on the floor to try to keep the humidity up a bit. It seems to work. I not seen any heat damage inside. Check the water every 10 days or so.
Steve
SandKSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 07:38 AM   #4
Leperone

Claremore , Oklahoma
Thanks, that helps!
leperone34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm under cover and do not stay plugged in. Instead, I have a real battery disconnect.
My converter is the old single stage, so it's hard on the batteries.
Where I store mine, many motorhome folks leave an air conditioner run 24/7.
I don't and haven't noticed any stuffy smell.
My neighbor in the storage leaves his fridge on plus an A/C. His motorhome has a residential fridge and they use it a lot, so they just go.
I have an ozone generator in case it gets stuffy, but I've only used it once. My building is open front and back so it gets lots of airflow. (and dust)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandKSmith View Post
use the little blue things that keep the fridge doors open but latched so they aren’t in the way
Do you (everyone) know about using the Dometic fridge shelf dividers to latch the doors open a few inches?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:40 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
If storing outside without a cover, would it be advisable to pull a tarp over the AS ?
GiaPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 08:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
Sebastian , Florida
GiaPK,
Covering with a tarp is not advised, because the flapping of the tarp can abrade the finish. Also, it can result in moisture buildup under the cover.
There are purpose made RV covers, but I have found they are not worth the hassle.
Happy camping!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 03:33 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2021 30RB Classic
Bluffton , South Carolina
Smile Tarp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetawA-S View Post
GiaPK,
Covering with a tarp is not advised, because the flapping of the tarp can abrade the finish. Also, it can result in moisture buildup under the cover.
There are purpose made RV covers, but I have found they are not worth the hassle.
Happy camping!
Thanks so much for the reply. I didn't think about those factors. It just drives me crazy to think about parking a new unit in an uncovered space, but the covered spaces in our area are really expensive.
GiaPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 03:48 PM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

RV sales have been crazy over the last two years. As the summer draws to an end, a lot of folks are going to go looking for storage. If you can find *anything* right now, go for it. It will only become harder to find over the next few months ....

(Yes this is backwards / skewed in some parts of the country ....we're all sorry about your winters being so hot ... )

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote