Old 02-12-2020, 12:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Ocean Pines , Maryland
Airstream Storage

My wife and I are moving to a community which does not allow travel trailers on the property. Our questions is how to go about getting the AS ready for a trip. Water, refrigerator, cleaning the outside. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Docbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docbutch View Post
My wife and I are moving to a community which does not allow travel trailers on the property. Our questions is how to go about getting the AS ready for a trip. Water, refrigerator, cleaning the outside. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
"on the property", how about in the street? Our HOA restricts us to 24 hour parking the AS in front of our house. We put everything (clothing, food, cameras, digital stuff, etc.) in the front hallway the week before the trip. I have a garage fridge for cold food, drinks go into a cooler that we will be taking. The day before we leave I bring the AS home from the storage lot and plug it into a long extension cord, turn on the fridge and a space heater or furnace if it's really cold. Everything in the hallway gets loaded, bicycles too, if we take them. In the morning I empty the garage fridge into the AS fridge and put the cooler in the aisle. Our HOA usually doesn't check except late afternoon and evenings, so we can usually squeeze 1 1/2 days without getting a letter from them.

If I couldn't bring it in front of the house I would make a couple of trips with the SUV to the storage lot and not worry about turning on the fridge until we left, then buy cold stuff on the road.

If we need to fill the water tank we wait until we get to the CG. I wash / wax our AS in one day, a busy day to be sure. If I couldn't wash it here I'd find a car wash and do it there.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

Most of us don't know exactly what we want, but we're pretty sure we don't have it. -Alfred E. Neuman
richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Rhode Island
Move?

Seriously though.........you're going to find that having to shuttle between home and the TT a pain. It will become unenjoyable.....and even worse when you "forget" something because of all the back and forth.

Where is it being stored now? How far away?

There are many here who most likely share your situation, they should be along to chime in with some suggestions.....for us....it lives with us or we are gone....community be damned.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Move?

Seriously though.........you're going to find that having to shuttle between home and the TT a pain. It will become unenjoyable.....and even worse when you "forget" something because of all the back and forth.

Where is it being stored now? How far away?

There are many here who most likely share your situation, they should be along to chime in with some suggestions.....for us....it lives with us or we are gone....community be damned.
I'm with you, Kittmaster: the AS lives at my house or I move. I have had a carport put up to house my Caravel and the appropriate electric plug installed in the carport so I can keep it plugged in. My driveway over which the carport was built is just long enough to house my 17' Caravel, so I can only have shorties, but that's good enough for me: an elderly single female with one large dog!

It just gets too complicated to have to keep it elsewhere, and you can't keep your eye on it, either for safety from theft/vandalism or for the sheer beauty of it. I wouldn't move to a place like the OP if only because you know your neighbors will not have the same interests that you do.

Vivian
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:33 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Our HOA prohibits parking trailers in the street or on our property. But the trustee's are tolerant enough to recognize that we all need to load, unload and service our trailers occasionally. Typically all they ask is that we minimize the stay in our drive and give them the courtesy of letting them know the trailer will be home. Since the prohibition also includes boats, pop ups, motor cycle trailers etc., most of the neighbors don't have problems since we have a lot of folks using these. Since this is an HOA issue only, the local policing authorities do not provide any enforcement to the HOA regs.

I've only had one issue and that was a retired trustee who loved to ride through the subdivision looking for violations. We had just gotten home on a Sunday afternoon and I was at work on Monday when the trustee rang the door bell to remind my wife that the trailer shouldn't be in the drive. She told him that it had been less than 24 hours since we got home and that we rent a storage location for it. She said it would be gone once I had time to completely empty it out and clean it. Thats where the conversation ended.

Quite honestly the trustees would have to get an attorney to file legal papers with the court system to force a trailer out and the cost and time it would take to do all this would probably greater than the time the trailer would be home. We have no internal wording in the HOA agreement to fine a homeowner for violation of the indentures.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Baileys Harbor , Wisconsin
Every HOA is different. But some are governed by people who LOVE to have power. I read on a news site where one person whose house burned down tried to park the TT on their site so they could at least live while their new house was built. The HOA tried to force them out. Rule makers should always recognize the limitations of their rules. Many times when people make the rules they fail to see possible reasons for exceptions. That’s why I don’t live in an HOA and would never live in one. Yes they have their place, but more often than not the “rulers of the tin kingdoms” are a PITA.

As to the original question: Do what you have to do and see what happens. I would try to follow the spirit of the rule, but not the letter of the rule. The spirit of the rule is not permanent storage which you aren’t doing.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:23 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Charlotte , North Carolina
We store ours and get it the night before we leave on a trip. We like our storage because it is covered and very secure. We keep a lot of things in the camper, even some dry food, coffee, clothes and toiletries, everything that’s not dirty. We move the refrigerator stuff and laundry.

We keep the camper stuff separate so it is easy to move back.

We pick up the camper maybe on a Thursday afternoon and pack most of it that night. Finish up Fri am and pull out. We try to get back at a reasonable time on Sunday, empty (maybe clean again even though we try to do that the last day of the trip). Since storage is closed on Sunday, I tend to take it Monday afternoon.

I tell the HOA to pound sand. I have even received complaint letters. But as you say, they just like to vent. It says more about them, how I react (which is ignore them) says something about me. Live and let live people.

I don’t mind our process. It is now somewhat of a routine. It is piling things by the door the day before where we can say ‘remember x’ and put it in the pile. But that’s just us. I say don’t let it stop you ‘trippin’.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm not in a HOA but I store the trailer under cover at a secure facility. It has pro's and con's.
Three days before departure I check the tires, load any clothes, and things to carry.
Two days before departure I turn on the fridge and one AC. (I have 30 amp power)
One day before departure I load food and ice into the fridge.
Departure day I don't want to have to prep anything, switch the fridge to propane, hook up and go.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
We bought our current house years before we bought our (first ever) trailer. Had I known then how much I’d want to have it home with me I’d never have purchased this place. The yard is not configured in a way that can accommodate the trailer and even if it were, the neighborhood doesn’t allow trailers. For the record - I’ve never complained or even been concerned about the one neighbor who has his trailer in his backyard year ‘round - I don’t begrudge him for doing what I’d like to be able to do.

I do, however, let the police know when I’m going to be parking my trailer in front of my house the night before heading out for a trip. Just like to have that on record in case anyone does decide to complain.

I have it in storage otherwise and I visit it from time to time because I just miss it. Even in the winter - I’ll just take a trip every now and then and sit in it. Don’t judge.

Every neighborhood and HOA is different. So know the rules, do the best you can, and if it’s intolerable - moving isn’t a bad idea.

Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:48 PM   #10
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
👎 We travelled 14mi for 7yrs to get to our first AS...PITA

We moved here, we have an HOA. They allow everyone all their toys, on their own property if you have room, or the lot they maintain just for that reason if you don't. 👍

We live on the Lake so there is plenty of sand for them to pound had they banned toy parking.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1612.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	361034  
Tahawus....🌥
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
You didn't state what the situation is about how much room you have out front of your new home and how busy the area is. We live an an area with an HOA that doesn't permit trailers, and furthermore our driveway is not long enough anyway to store one. Our street is not very busy.

We bring it to the house usually at the beginning of the season on a Saturday to do a spring cleaning, run the vacuum, walbernize and wash. We can do a deep clean, and then load up all of the things we pull out over the winter like bedding, toiletries, and food staples (stored in air tight containers).

For weekends we just bring our food in a small soft side cooler with a blue ice pack for veggies and such, and use a Yeti cooler for things that need to be really cold like dairy and drinks. This is just simpler than worrying about how long it takes the fridge to get cold. (it's usually cold by the next morning) For weekend trips we bring clothes in duffle bags. Then we bring home all clothes and any used towels, rugs, and sheets for a wash. We use these bags to keep the towels, sheets, etc. I wash them as soon as we get back home and then put them in the bags ready to go for next trip.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/knalla-...hite-00330487/

For a long trips which for us is 1-2 weeks we usually go out to the storage place a couple of days before we leave and air up the tires, bring all of the clothes to pack, and store dry food.

The benefit of where we store is that the location is actually at the edge of the metro meaning that once we hook up we aren't pulling through a bunch of commuter traffic on a Friday.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:41 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Ocean Pines , Maryland
We live in a land leaSe development in which the corporation owns the land. The HOA actually consists of owners who have formed together to represent their concerns to the corporation. The corporation does provide a secure storage site for boats and rv's.
Docbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:21 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Atlanta , Georgia
Some officious HOA officials? Not my experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquenzer View Post
But some are governed by people who LOVE to have power.

Some!!!??? Find Dostoevsky's novella, "Notes from Underground." He nails a certain type of officious person who (as they say in the Army) "should never have become a lieutenant." Here's the opening:
I used to be in the government service, but am no longer. I was a spiteful official. I was rude and took pleasure in being so. ... When petitioners used to come for information to the table at which I sat, I used to grind my teeth at them, and felt intense enjoyment when I succeeded in making anybody unhappy. I almost did succeed. For the most part they were all timid people--of course, they were petitioners.
Belbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:37 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Western , North Carolina
we couldn't get the airstream to our house no matter what [up a mountain road with no room to back trailer, so what we do, is stage everything the day before we leave and take it to the trailer and load it up[including water as needed] except for the refrigerator - that we turn on so it's cold in the morning. The next morning we load up the truck and a big cooler or so with all the refer stuff - load the refer - connect the trailer and go.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:00 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
I used to be in the government service, but am no longer. I was a spiteful official. I was rude and took pleasure in being so. ... When petitioners used to come for information to the table at which I sat, I used to grind my teeth at them, and felt intense enjoyment when I succeeded in making anybody unhappy. I almost did succeed. For the most part they were all timid people--of course, they were petitioners.
This is so accurate! We bought a condo in CA in the 70s, and of course there were many rules, among them what you could decorate the outside of your unit with (nothing) and that you couldn't have trees above a certain height in your patio area. Some of the officers of the HOA delighted in walking around the development and taking notes of those infringing on the rules. These petty officials really enjoyed wielding their power. I vowed never again to put myself in their clutches.

Vivian
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:22 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
I wouldn’t live in a restricted neighborhood for just this type of reason.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:01 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
Dunedin , Florida
I live in an HOA community, some of us do not have other options or want to move, and I had a 4 hour window allowance. Ha! I wrote a letter to them asking for a variance for the rules so I could bring mine home in the PM and leave in the AM. It was approved. Plenty of time to get the frig cold and pack up my previously accumulated stuff for my trips. And in a pinch, I go to the storage area, turn the propane and frig on for the night, then bring it over in the morning and load it up. No problems then.

WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Suncoast Unit #129, Region 3
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Middletown , Ohio
One adapts and learns to be organized.

Our previous city had ordinances against RV parking and our current home has an HOA which prevents it. Our street frontage is not conducive to temp parking to load or unload. Our storage facility is secure and has cameras, but no power or water.

We winterize at a full hook-up site in late fall, and de-winterize at a full hook-up site in spring (or sometimes late winter if going south). We have solar to keep batteries charged, but I do remove them in heavy winter. Our Airstream has its own dishes, pots, pans, glasses, utensils, etc. and they do not leave the trailer. For food, we can run the fridge on propane a day or so ahead of time to get it cold, and we bring spoilable food the day we depart in a cooler and bring it home when we return. Canned goods can remain except in winter to avoid freezing. Dry goods are always in plastic storage bins to deter spoilage and pests. We have two sets of sheets and towels so one set can be laundered at home. If we need to do minor work on the trailer we bring our Honda generator and we have a portable compressor to maintain the tire pressure. Washing is the biggest issue, but take advantage of campsites that will allow washing (usually with a reasonable fee) when the trailer is heavily soiled, and use a waterless spray cleaner and microfiber towels in between.
RJKSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 08:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Jacksonville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docbutch View Post
1. Don't move there.

2. Make a check list. List the stuff you need to take each time and load the stuff in the truck by the check list.

3. Don't move there.

4. Have your solar keep the battery charged so you can turn on the frigerator the day before. Make ice to prove it is working.

5. Have two sets of things so you don't have to unload everything for use at the house. Laundry is never nice. But Jackets, sweat shirts, dishes, etc don't all need to come in.

6. Don't move there.

Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote