Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 06:16 PM   #1
Ronald D

1965 26' Overlander
Welshpool , New Brunswick
Airstream sightings on Campobello Island

I saw some Airstreams coming onto the island yesterday as I was going off the island. (there is a bridge) I went to the campground this evening to introduce myself and to possibly gain some knowledge. ( I am restoring a '65 Overlander) There were 14 Airstreams and the all the people I spoke with were unbelievable snobs. There was a "cruise director" of sorts wearing a whistle on a lanyard around his neck running around giving directions and whistling. He had no time for me. I accosted a woman by herself heading toward a trailer and she RAN away from me. I spoke with another couple who would only talk about the post and beam house that Ted Benson had built for them on Marthas' Vineyard. They had a '78 that was totally restored and they assured me that they did NONE of the work on it themselves. I was not invited to view any of the trailers.

I am a fairly presentable person, from Massachusetts, educated at Boston University, Air Force veteran of Viet Nam, fairly successful business operator until I retired, married a Canadian and moved to Campobello. I was actually shunned by this group. True, I do not wear my sweater with the arms tied around my neck, and true, my fingernails were dirty from working on my Airstream all day, but, I really do not fit with these people and really want nothing to do with them. The Forum members mostly seem like grunts, just like myself. I believe I will stay with the forum, ripping out rotten plywood, drilling rivets, emptying black tanks, and getting my hands dirty. I'm happy to be a member here.

Ronald D
'65 Overlander
Old 07-30-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Wow, Ronald, that's a really sad story! I'm sure my heart rate would have gone up if I'd seen that many AS's in one place! I'm sure, like you, I would have gone & tried to "talk Airstream" to those people too. What a disappointment for you! I think you're right about the people on the forum here. They really are kind & down to earth people. I've lurked on some other forums (not AS forums), and the people are rude to newbies & use foul language to one another. I really enjoy reading other people's fixes & travels on this forum. You can have a tour of my Airstream any time!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Old 07-30-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
That's a shame. Too bad they are too full of themselves to get to know you.

Carol
Old 07-31-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmmmmmm. Let's all not be like that.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Ronald~

You're welcome for a tour and AS talk anytime. Heck, I'll even throw in a beverage or two. That's just plain upsetting that fellow AS'ers would feel the need to be that way. I guess you know where that whistle should go...

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Did they all have big red numbers on their trailers? Was this actually a WBCCI caravan? If it was, they do not represent the average WBCCI membership. We do have a few old snobs around, but that is not the average. The people traveling in vintage units, they restored themselves, are particularly interesting people. If you are looking for a good time, you may want to contact one of the other competing local units. All local units are unique and have distinctive characters and characteristics.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:55 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
That's funny but sad! You painted such a great picture with your words. Do you have any idea what group it was? Were they a WBCCI group? I agree with you, Ronald. I'm stickin' with the forum group! What a great bunch we have here. You can tour my trailer anytime!
Old 07-31-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
Ronald D

1965 26' Overlander
The trailers all had bright red numbers, front and back. On some of them old removed numbers could be seen under the new red. One of them told me that they each carry a book that lists all members. I guess if they see a broken down trailer they can look to see if it is one of "THEIRS".

These trailers came from all over the U.S. I was told by the Grand Poobah that they would be on the road for over 60 days.

The campground is part of a provincial (state) park. The Grand Poobah had a sign on his trailer that stated that if anyone had any question about anything in the campground they were, under no circumstance, to approach any campground personnel, they were to see him.

The Poobah, actually the Poobah's son, allowed me to walk around and examine his trailer, I commented on the sealant on top of the beltline molding. He quickly stated that They did not apply the sealant and told me who did. (some dealer in New Jersey)

The oldest trailer there,a '78 Safari, owned by the Ted Benson couple, was absolutely mint and could easily pass for new. I sure that they had more money invested in the trailer than I have in my house.

Thanks for all of your condolences, I guess my rant is over, they have moved on. Their next stop is St. John, New Brunswick,about 150 miles. If they travel 150 miles at a time, for 60 days, that's 9,000 miles. If I was aboard that ship I would cause a mutiny.
Ronald D
Old 07-31-2009, 06:37 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
It was probably this caravan:

WBCCI Caravans - Fun, Fellowship, Adventure

Nor' by Nor'east
N-38-H
We will stop in the Rhode Island, Cape Cod, and Boston areas; then on to St. John and Moncton NB. Moving on to Nova Scotia we will visit Springhill, Windsor, Hall's Harbour, Annapolis Royal, Lunenburg, Halifax, Antigonish, Louisbourg, Baddeck, Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail. The caravan will end on Prince Edward Island. This trip offers many "Kodak moments" and several great golfing opportunities. Kitty fee includes camping, many tours, ice cream socials, and the final banquet. Most stops are in campgrounds or fairgrounds with hookups, but there are two stops with limited electricity, and a possible overnight on the PEI ferry dock. Start: 07/09/2009End: 08/31/2009
Rendezvous:Richmond, RIStop 1:East Wareham, MAStop 2:Topsfield, MAStop 3:Boothbay, MEStop 4:Ellsworth, MEStop 5:Campobello IslandStop 6:St. John, NBStop 7:Moncton, NBStop 8:Windsor, NSStop 9:Parker's Cove, NSStop 10:Lunenberg, NSStop 11:Halifax, NSStop 12:Antigonish, NSStop 13:Louisbourg, NSStop 14:Baddeck, NSStop 15:Ferry dock at CaribouStop 16:Cornwall, P.E.I.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Hey Ronald,

Is it possible that you're being too harsh? It sounds as though you violated the first rule of camping, don't pester someone who has just rolled in and is setting up. A caravan is often on a tight schedule (hence the Poobah with whistle). Participants sometimes arrive tired, are old, preoccupied with their own responsibilities and just don't have the energy to match your enthusiasm. It might not have anything to do with them being snobs, but instead have everything to do with your expectations being set too high. Not everyone out there who owns an Airstream has to be a fanatic about Airstreams, or share your level of interest in Airstreams. To them it might just be an RV. And really, there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #11
Ronald D

1965 26' Overlander
Mr. McClure,

Your first rule of camping is one of the first rules of common courtesy. The caravan rolled in here around 2 in the afternoon. I went to visit at 2:30 the FOLLOWING afternoon. As far as having energy and enthusiam, I am 65 years old, 100% disabled veteran and recently had a stroke. Enthusiam for me is waking up in the morning. I doubt if the Poobah can match that. My expectation is common courtesy in return. True, I only shave every other day but I am obviously not slovenly in neither appearance nor speech. There is no reason for anyone to avoid me. Again, true, not everyone who owns an Airstream has to be a fanatic about Airstreams or share my level of interest in Airstreams but, someone who spends fifty or sixty thousand dollars restoring a thirty year old trailer must be fanatic about something.

Like Forest Gump said "That's all I have to say in this matter".

Ron Chenevert
Old 08-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB Classic
Smithville , New Jersey
Like the man said, airstream or square box, tent or diesel pusher, it's about common courtesy. Period.
Old 08-01-2009, 07:02 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' Classic
Salem , Alabama
Thumbs up

Ron: you are a jewel! I thought FG only talk about a box of candy? mel
Old 08-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #14

1988 34' Limited
Newburgh , New York
re:campabello sighting

Ron,
I read with great interest your statements of our meeting in Herring Cove Provincial Park.

I am the Caravan Leader of the WBCCI Nor' by Nor' East Caravan. Your recollection of the events is very different from mine.
First if you counted 14 units, the whole caravan was not parked yet, and we were in the process of parking them when we had our conversation.

We talked long enough for you to tell me of your restoration of your trailer. We talked about other Airstream subjects as well. My son talked to you for about 20 minutes about installing a wash water tank in your trailer. I also invited you to talk to some of the owners, as you must have done, as you commented about one of the owners who had the work done to his restored trailer instead of doing it himself. Some people don't have the ability to do the work themselves, and therefore choose to have it done for them. Nothing wrong with that.

As far as my having a whistle around my neck and going around blowing it, it actually was my WBCCI name tag, that we all wear when on a caravan. We don't go around blowing whistles.

I feel you were not only treated with the courtesy we treat every visitor, but your statements about us being snobs is a total untruth. We on the caravan are hurt by your untruths about us.

We are not snobs, as we treat everyone the same, Airstream owners, or any other person who approaches us. We are friendly to everyone alike.

As far as the sign on the front of my trailer, I as the caravan leader am the spokesperson for the caravan to the campground. Anyone who has any complaints comes to me and I do the talking for the group.

You not only didn't tell the truth about our meeting, but you continued to bash us, when we deserved none of your abuse
Old 08-01-2009, 09:24 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Yes, I knew before I posted that I would be going against the tide of AirForum opinion. It appears that the consensus is that you weren't being too harsh, not at all. Apparently, you are fair minded to a fault. And when you "rant" you do so without any hint of exaggeration. All those WBCCI Club members are "unbelievable snobs," and in no way is that slander. That's the way it works on AirForums, right? That certainly is its reputation, a place where mud-slinging passes for balanced discussion and reasoned criticism.

I don't post on AirForums much anymore for that very reason. It is unfortunate that you were not welcomed in a manner that you thought you deserved. But I really take exception to the broad brush you paint the club with. It is obvious to me, at least, that much of it is based on your lack of knowledge. For instance, characterizing the Caravan Leader as a Grand Poobah (in others words as pompous) when they actually do a lot of work to plan the caravan and then take on the responsibility to lead it, all voluntarily, with no pay. Or, the caravan participants as being so monied that they wouldn't think of getting their "hands dirty."

Well, first off it is no sin to have enough money to buy what you want. If you had as much you'd probably do the same. I know I would. Second, I'm not someone with with an excess of money, but I'm a member of the Club, and my fingernails are dirty as I type this, because I spent the afternoon working on my Airstream. I have to, because I don't have the money to pay someone else to do it for me. I'm okay with that. I knew a long time ago that my career path wasn't going to make me rich.

But that likely doesn't matter, to you, or to many of the other AirForum members who paint with the same broad brush. When you paint that broadly you also paint me and my friends in the Club as "unbelievable snob[s]", and I think that's undeservedly insulting. Is that the "common courtesy" you refer to?

I think it is prefectly fine for you to express disappointment, but you went way beyond that.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
David,

Thank you giving us your side of the story. Keep up the the good work, it is appreciated.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:58 AM   #17
Ronald D

1965 26' Overlander
Mr. McClure,

Never referred to anyone as "unbelievable snob(s)".

I was not aware that the airforums was "a place that mudslinging passes for balanced discussion and reasoned criticism". I thank you for making me aware of that.

Mr. Chenevert
Old 08-02-2009, 07:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
You are all wrong

Ronald D,

I take extreme offense at your posting here, and am very upset by your lack of truth and understanding of others in your statements. I am on this caravan, and yes as tallytwo1994 posted it is the Nor’ by Nor’ East N-38-H National Caravan.

At every stop we have made on this caravan we have been visited may many fellow campers who are interested in Airstreams and wanted to have a look inside and ask our opinions. At Campobello, Pat and I personally gave several tours to others camped there including a family whose children could only speak French. Apparently you didn’t come by my trailer. I was parked in the open with my back to the woods. Thats me at the right of the attached picture.

Our “Grand Poobah” as you unaffectionately called him, does not wear a whistle. Sometimes he has a handheld CB to help direct us into our campsites. It’s a welcome service he provides. He has also invited the park staff at each place we have camped to join us for a meal, if we have one there, and has taken food to the workers who cannot leave their post. At Booth Bay an Airstreaming couple who were not WBCCI members was invited to join us for happy hour. How is that snobbish? Furthermore, since he has made all the arrangements for our stays, he wants everyone to come to him first with any problems. What’s wrong with that?

The couple you mentioned with the restored ’78 are some of the nicest people on this caravan. They have been giving tours to anyone who asks. And, what is wrong with paying someone to do the restoration for you? There are businesses that do this for a living. I have members in my unit that have bought beautifully restored Vintage Airstreams for their use, bring them to our rallies, and show them off. They don’t have the skills to restore one themselves, but are proud owners and WBCCI and VAC members. None of us are wearing sweaters with the arms tied around the neck, and most of us have dirty fingernails too, because we are traveling, handling sewer hoses and fixing things that break along the way.

All of our units (trailers and motor homes) are proudly displaying our big red numbers. Our leader has some ghosts of his old numbers because the National Caravan Leaders were all allowed to draw 800 numbers and he chose to do that. Again, what’s wrong with that?

So now look what you have done. Without a lot of facts, you went off on a rant and put up just another post here on AIRForums expressing negativity toward your fellow Airstreamers and the WBCCI. Where you say, “I am a fairly presentable person, from Massachusetts, educated at Boston University, Air Force veteran of Viet Nam, fairly successful business operator…” maybe you’re just a little too full of yourself to really try to get to know us. There are also several retired military on this caravan too, I being one of them, and most of us have had some success in our lives too since we are able to be retired and afford to own Airstreams and travel with them. We are as common folk as you are, and maybe a little nicer and not as angry at life.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3395.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	84830  
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald D View Post
Mr. McClure,

Never referred to anyone as "unbelievable snob(s)".

Mr. Chenevert
Yeah, you did, in your first post at the very beginning of this thread. That's why it was in quotes. Here it is again, but in the full sentence you wrote, "There were 14 Airstreams and the all the people I spoke with were unbelievable snobs."

You shouldn't backpedal. Instead, just apologize.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:43 AM   #20
Ronald D

1965 26' Overlander
Mr. McClure,

I did say that, I didn't remember and did not re-read my first posting. I apologize for saying I never said that. My memory is just not what it used to be.

RDC
Closed Thread