Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2020, 09:50 PM   #61
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunami View Post
On my Bambi the fender / frame around my tire goes down way to low towards the center of the tire. The gap between the outside of the tire wall and the frame is only a couple of inches.

Removing the flat tire is no big deal. Mounting the spare or the new tire is the problem. You can't just mount the new tire like you are changing a tire in a car. The fully inflated new tire will just not fit with the lowered fender frame and narrow gap. I was able to get the new tire on, but only by reducing the air pressure and then using a tire iron as a lever from the bottom to pry the tire up.

Not sure if other models are like this, but for my 2001 19' Bambi, that is a big issue.
Our Safari was much like that...it had bad axle.

New axle raised it enough to get an inflated tire easily mounted.

BTW...make sure you are jacking on the axle mount plate so the axle can fully drop.🤔

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 05-18-2020, 10:12 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari SS SE
kent , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Our Safari was much like that...it had bad axle.

New axle raised it enough to get an inflated tire easily mounted.

BTW...make sure you are jacking on the axle mount plate so the axle can fully drop.��

Bob
����

Hmmm possibly. If it's a bad axle then I've been driving around with it for at least two years with no noticeable effect, other than the the frame appearing low to the tire. Are there any other signs of a bad axle? I have a service appointment with Airstream scheduled for next month. So I will find out then. Yes, I jacked up on the mounting plate...not the axle.
stunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:09 AM   #63
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
With weight on the axle the arm should be level.

Off the ground it should be angled down...this is the best photo I have.

Bob
🇺🇸

Yes...it's up and wrapped for Winter storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2e58.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	735.8 KB
ID:	368230  
Old 05-19-2020, 06:18 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2019 33' Classic
townsend , Tennessee
We are on our third RV. Each has had its share of issues. It's unfortunate, but the RV industry as whole seems to be more focused on quantity versus quality.

2017 Grand Design Reflections 5th Wheel had the fewest issues - no complex systems helped.

2018 Newmar NewAire Class A - in 18 months it spent about 8 weeks in repairs between the dealer and the factory. Good news is that the factory really did a great job and made everything better than new.

2019 Airstream Classic 33' FB Twin - Bought it in November 2019 and it has already been to the dealer once and the factory twice. Too many issues to list but a couple of big ones - kitchen sink fell out and the thermostats were wired backwards. The dealer installed their own batteries and wired them wrong causing one battery to die.

At the end of the day, the factory did a decent job, but even then it really matters which technician you get and how much time they have allotted to your trailer. During my last trip (5/12-5/13) I checked the repairs before leaving and found that several items were not done. I went back inside and spoke to the service manager, Brad Herring, and he jumped all over it. He personally reviewed the issues with me in the trailer, then sent one of his top guys to make the corrections. As it was right at the end of the day, I agreed to do some of the work myself if the gave or shipped the parts to me. They did give me some parts and are shipping the rest.

RV Quality generally is hit or miss. It is the attitude and responsiveness of the manufacturer that makes the difference. I found that Airstream Factory Service is slightly above average in this respect. I say this because it took going to the manager to get the results. I contrast this to my experience at Newmar where the technicians were empowered and energized to make the corrections and improvements. They went through our coach and not only fixed the items that we had listed, they also found many other items and fixed them without questions.

We've only put a few thousand miles on our Airstreams, but I have to say that in spite of the issues, we really do like the trailer. It has quickly become our favorite of the three RVs that we have owned.

I hope that you get your issues resolved. I suggest the you ask for Brad directly.
BryonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:39 AM   #65
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Stuart , Florida
I have/had the same kind of issues with my new Cougar (Thor product as well).

I fixed them myself. It was just too much trouble to take the rig back to the dealer.

I think all trailers have varying degrees of fit/finish issues. regardless of cost.

PS...I was interested in airstream, but, we wanted a slide, a king bed, and 2 recliners in a 25' rig
Denny Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:16 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Mesa , Arizona
Won’t try to excuse Airstream;however, how many 50 year old SOBs (some other brand) do you see on the road? I live in an Airstream Land Yacht Harbor and I see literally hundreds of them every year and the owners wouldn’t even consider another brand.
Moodywelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:24 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

the plains , Virginia
From all the posts it sounds like you are better off buying a used model from someone who has already worked out the kinks. We bought a 2007 about 4 years ago and have had a few minor problems but nothing major and the cost was probably half or less of a new one.
jdcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:41 AM   #68
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
The Villages , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by waikelejake View Post
Well, shame on me for not doing the proper research LOL. I went with the Airstream because I thought it was the the best of the best. At least most of my issues are pretty minor besides the leaks which we fixed. However, it does worry me a bit that these issues happened so soon and no telling what will happen in the next 4 years. At least we didn't buy the $150k classic. I would be LIVID if these things happened for something so damn expensive.
Call me at 352-459-9993, I would like to share a few facts with you. Info that might help you in the future with issues.
Uncle Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:47 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

West Palm Beach , Florida
To the OP... you’re not alone. Many of us share your concern and heartache. Most owners seem to get their issues worked out by AS, the dealer, or fix it themselves.

I too know that it’s not easy to bring the AS in for service for every little issue. And it’s laughable when another owner says “take it to Jackson Center.” Lol yeah. Sure. Might be easy for those living close enough but living in Florida, full-timing, while working... it’s not possible. We bought an Airstream for the upfront quality, not the need to take it in for service over and over.

But hey, between all of the headaches the trailer will cause you, it’s pretty awesome and enjoyable more often than not.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:25 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Traverse City , Michigan
Believe me, we get it. We’ve RV’d for 45 years, motorhomes. We decided to downsize for ease of travel and getting rid of problems associated with slides, technology, size (45’ diesel pusher). My husband was fascinated by Airstreams as a kid so we jumped, perhaps without adequate investigation. The Alde system has been a constant issue from day one and of course is now costing us money as our warranty is almost out. It has interrupted almost every trip. So much for ridding ourselves of technology issue. The radio has never worked. Dust comes in and all over things stored under the bed. Rivets have popped out all over the interior. We got locked inside early on because the door lock fell apart. I could go on but won’t. Like many RVs it gets better after awhile, maybe because everything is finally repaired.
Enjoy your travels.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:57 PM   #71
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
salem , West Virginia
Airstream factory service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endmarks View Post
I love reading these threads on quality of airstreams because the replies are so varied. And of course I laugh when I see a reply form airstream wanting to help. This has not been my case with them. Here are my facts. We finally pulled the plug and purchased a 2018 flying cloud 27fb. From the start there were many of the little things you have mentioned. Stairs falling off, breakers not working, dead batteries, radio not working, etc. However, we had an issue with a water leak in the bedroom and it could never get fixed. half a dozen tests at the dealer and it kept leaking. Then a new window and even more leaking. Enough water that it soaked the mattress full of water on standard rains. The dealer agreed they had no idea how to fix. Keep in mind this was a 4 month old unit. After many calls to airstream they were trying to send me all over the place to get other opinions and the dealer was saying no we are doing everything Airstream recommends. In other words Airstream was throwing the dealer under the bus. We finally had to bring up the lemon law with the dealer and of course Airstream said they have no part in this. It was apparent this was a lemon. We ended up trading this in for a smaller 25fb as a consolation prize and because we all agreed to not get into the lemon law issue.
However, here is the real answer to your question from my experience. It is definitely quality issues at the factory, but in my experience it is the lack of communication and teamwork between the dealers and Airstream to service the repairs of the marginal quality. we as buyers have no choice but to return to the dealer for repairs. The dealers are usually slammed and you are lucky to get into see them in a month or two. Then dealers have to get approvals for every repair. And if you call airstream for help they will try to throw it back to the dealers or in my recent case on dead batteries, they told me I had to bring it up with interstate batteries. So, I feel the real issues of this is really airstream not wanting to deal with the customer after the purchase. They throw it to the dealers who have no time, energy or resources to fix and repair all the quality issues that come from the factory.That has been my case anyway. All facts no BS, Have documents to prove it. And I am only talking about large repairs. I am happy to take care of small issues.
So what I would say, and have said to friends who expressed interest in buying an Airstream is if your into taking chances, buy from a dealer who has a large and efficient dealership and can handle the larger repairs in a timely manner because you will get no help from airstream. As a matter of fact in my dealings with them my wife kept saying it couldn't be that bad, however, when I put her on the phone with them she couldn't believe that they were trying to blame us for the water Leaks. it was unreal.
That is our Airstream experience on quality. I trust the reliability part will stand up once the major issues are resolved.

Airstream dealers are not created equally, most of the best they can, some flat out rip people off constantly. All of them are busy in my experience.

Even good dealers struggle with their service departments.

There is a way better option. GO TO JACKSON CENTER. You do have to get on the schedule way ahead of time, although I think they make time available for new/warranty repairs. Their service Is impeccable, they have free full hookup sites on site, you can sleep in your camper while they work on it... they come pick it up in the am and put it back in the evening. Their service personnel are extremely experienced, extremely knowledgeable, and extremely diligent. They do great work, they will tell you that they work on way more new trailers with issues than they should, they even recommend fixes to the factory on recurring problems, which sometimes eventually get put in place.

I know many of you will think this is a huge hassle and not worth it, but I assure you if you make the trip, do a factory tour, walk the lots and look at all of the old airstreams they have hanging around, and get All of your issues fixed right the first time, it’s hard for me to imagine walking out of there any less than 100% satisfied, or even thrilled for having the experience.

All my airstream work from now on will be done there. If I need work on a water heater, ac unit, heater, appliance, any good RB mechanic can do that... and not worth the drive, but if it has to do with airstream, body, awnings, blah blah blah, it’ll be on a road trip to the middle of nowhere OH.
Jeremiwvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:16 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

Pawleys Island , South Carolina
Just bought a 2020 Interstate and had the same expectations of the brand.. and am experiencing the same disappointment. If you'll start digging you'll see some silly cost-down stuff all over it. The AI business model seems stuck in no mans land.. super premium brand positioning.. premium pricing.. typically one dealer per state that they force to adhere to certain standards.. but they don't understand premium service. The notion that you're going to ship a cost-down product out into the field at a premium price and then expect customers to tolerate the typical trash service experience just doesn't add up. It's a formula for a bunch of first-time buyers.
justinshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:07 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by waikelejake View Post
Hello,

I just purchased a 2020 Bambi 19' and man I never knew Airstream had such bad quality issues. This is my first Airstream and going in I though I was going to have a pretty high quality low maintenance trailer. Well, I assumed that since they are definitely not cheap! These are my issues I've had with the trailer since purchase(5 months):
1. The emergency exit window above the bed was leaking because the latches weren't tight enough. Once I fixed that, it decided to start leaking though a panel gap below that same window. I seem to get that fixed by resealing all of the trailer lights.
2. Sometimes when I turn on the A/C unit, the fan doesn't come on until I turn it on the highest speed, then it will kick on. Meanwhile, this A/C unit isn't powerful enough for a Florida summer, but we shall see. Right now, I am having to run it on coldest setting and highest fan speed pretty much the whole day.
3. The drawer below the dinette sometimes falls off the tracks.
4.There is rust starting to show at the edge of the kitchen sink.
5. Some of the cabinet doors have uneven gaps on the top. This isn't a huge issue to me, but it does make me question the overall quality of the trailer.

Just a little background: me and my family bought this to place in the backyard for someone to live in for the next few years. The backyard is quite complicated so there was no way in hell I was getting it out for service if it was something I could fix myself, like the window latches and sealing the lights.

What are your guys thoughts? I am being super realistic here. I'm not one of those people that bash the whole trailer just because of one thing. I still love the trailer besides all of the issues above. I just would have never thought I would have these types of issues out of a brand new trailer thats $50k and only 5 months old.
I hate to say it, but aside from your quality problems, I’m not sure you bought the right product for the application.

The reason I say that is your concern about the AC being adequate is spot on. My experience is that, in very hot, sunny conditions, the AC will run continuously and maybe lower the temp 10 deg below outside temp. It will dehumidify quite well, however. Airstreams have a lot of windows as you know, compared to other RV’s.

In the summer, you should get Reflectix for all the windows, vents and sky lights. If you can provide shade for the unit, it will be helpful.

There are folks who full time in their Airstreams. Maybe some of them can provide some helpful hints. My guess is most of them migrate to moderate climates with the seasons.

By the way, we’re on our 2nd Airstream. While not perfect, we are happy. The delivering dealer can make a huge difference in how well they inspect the trailer and correct issues prior to delivery.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:16 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenjeans View Post
Wow, Boxite,
What's your point?
Texans generally have a little more class.
You’re new here. Clearly you don’t know me. Sorry if my direct answers to the OP’s direct questions offends you, who had nothing to contribute but a personal attack.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:19 PM   #75
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodywelman View Post
Won’t try to excuse Airstream;however, how many 50 year old SOBs (some other brand) do you see on the road? I live in an Airstream Land Yacht Harbor and I see literally hundreds of them every year and the owners wouldn’t even consider another brand.

50yr old aluminum...yes.
A 50yr old unrestored AS, doubtful.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 05-20-2020, 03:22 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
With weight on the axle the arm should be level.

Off the ground it should be angled down...this is the best photo I have.

Bob
����

Yes...it's up and wrapped for Winter storage.
That may not be the case on a 19’ Bambi, Robert. I’ve read so many posts that describe angles the axle-arms should be.... then one day I downloaded the Dexter info on my axles...to find the posted info completely wrong.

Not all axles have the arms at a downward angle. Some are level, and some are actually slightly UP.

I’ve come to rely on the mfr’s info (Dexter) for the particular axle model. Otherwise, a quick and dirty way to check if the torsion-rods are still viable is to go inside the trailer and walk/jump up/down and see if the axle rebounds... ....or if it bottoms out.

AS for changing the tires... BE CERTAIN NOT TO JACK DIRECTLY ON THE AXLE! If you jack on the axle the axle may not drop sufficiently to allow an inflated tire to be easily installed.

Jack the trailer on the FRAME either ahead or behind the axle. Most AS have a jacking-point or pad indicated just aft of the axle on the frame.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:36 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1994 28' Excella
1950 19' Globetrotter
Elgin , Texas
Sorry to read about your new Airstream Bambi issues.
If one was to assume that Airstream is the best, then you can only imagine the trouble you would have had with some other brand.
My only suggestion is you continue working with your dealer and Airstream Corp in order to resolve your outstanding issues you can not fix yourself.
Good luck and all the Best.
You'll get there...
eventually.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:35 PM   #78
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Crescent City , California
Cool Quality

Same kind of issues here as well.

All of our dresser drawers (two in our model) have fallen out at various times during road trips (even after dealer repairs). I now duct tape them shut as prevention.

Door handle lock went jake and wouldn't latch. Thankful to the helpful hints on site here I was able to jimmy a zip tie into the back side and it now latches! (smiles all around)

The metal moulding trim above the dinette in our 2018 International Serenity will not stay tacked down even after two trips to the dealer. Still hangs out ready to slice someone. Ask me how I know...

The fans work intermittently.

And the Dometic AC stopped working after 5 months. Unfortunately the nearest dealer is 6 hours away. Although it took several months, the Dealer was great at getting it repaired.

However, I still love the beast...waxing it as I type now!
Gun2Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:03 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Smile Airstream Quality Issues and Dealers

My experience was with a 2018 33' Classic TB that was a nightmare. 5 pages of problems and 6 months from a fantastic dealer and they were pulling their hair out. Luckily I had all winter. They fixed it all, never paid a dime, but by that time it was nearly 2020 and I finally told the dealer I was worried about keeping it without the warranty.

After looking at a '33ft Classic FB with totally newly vendor for the panels, (everyone knows about the old panels), new wiring for projector, upgraded Alde system, upgraded Alde panel, I decided I wanted a good deal on a trade...... Without getting into the weeds, and a few frank discussions, I thought I got a fair trade for the new Classic. It has been flawless. Nothing. Perfection. Flabbergasted. Fantastic dealer. BT Camper in Wentzville, MO. Even free upgrade to the improved glycol. Fantastic solar panels trickle charging the Interstate batteries, and always on wireless router where I can check out all systems remotely.

So I took a gamble that Airstream gambled on some bad vendors and that surely they can't build 'em all this bad.....and won. Can't say enough about the dealer and simply bending backwards on all the mess on the 2018.....and it even blew their minds. So was I lucky? Who knows. I don't buy these everyday. But I'm very happy with my Airstream.
starpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:02 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Quote:
An eternal AS truth...buying 3yrs behind new and gently used will yield fewer regrets.

FWIW....Interstate will pro-rate the batteries.

Bob
🇺🇸
You are 100% correct Bob. The best move my wife and I made when we bought our first Airstream in 2011 was to purchase a 2008, lightly used, 27FB. Along the way we've been meticulous about maintenance. While I do a few fixes myself, once a year she goes to the factory service center (about an 8 hour trip each way). We are out about 120 days per year and put between 12,000 and 15,000 miles per year on her. We've been tempted to trade up to a 30' but we doubt the quality will be equal to what we have. Better to continue going to the dance with the devil we know. For us, the only real advantages to trading are more space and ducted air.

I encourage anyone considering the purchase of a new Airstream to first buy a 3-5 year old well maintained unit. After you take it out a few times, if you don't like the size/floorplan, or the Airstream brand, you can almost certainly sell it for close to what you have in it.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote